C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Help needed: Removing winglets from Stage 2 front splitter

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:21 PM
Blurspeed
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Help needed: Removing winglets from Stage 2 front splitter

Has anyone ever removed the winglets from their Stage 2 splitter or anyone know how to? I tried to take them off by unscrewing the 2 bolts like I did for removing my Stage 2/3 rear wing but it just kept twisting/spinning and won’t come off. Am I missing something? I should be able to just take those bolts out and pry at the double side tape. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:30 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-thread-2.html

Check out the last 2 posts I posted. Stage 2 front winglets should be just the 2 bolts on the sides.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:33 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I haven't put my stage 3s on yet. However I remember someone saying there are a couple screws that are vertical through the splitter with nuts on the inside. That may be your issue.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:41 PM
Blurspeed
Instructor

Originally Posted by cyi1
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-thread-2.html

Check out the last 2 posts I posted. Stage 2 front winglets should be just the 2 bolts on the sides.
Really? I wonder why mine won’t come off? So all you did was take the 2 bolts off on each end right? Did you have to pry it off? So weird.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:42 PM
Blurspeed
Instructor

Originally Posted by saleen556
I haven't put my stage 3s on yet. However I remember someone saying there are a couple screws that are vertical through the splitter with nuts on the inside. That may be your issue.
Oh maybe that’s the issue. The bolts from under the splitter. Can anyone confirm?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:47 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Received 624 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Blurspeed
Has anyone ever removed the winglets from their Stage 2 splitter or anyone know how to? I tried to take them off by unscrewing the 2 bolts like I did for removing my Stage 2/3 rear wing but it just kept twisting/spinning and won’t come off. Am I missing something? I should be able to just take those bolts out and pry at the double side tape. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!
Yup, gotta get a wrench behind there because there are nuts on the back that need to be held while you turn the bolts. If you are going to put the stage 3 winglets on you should also use a hex head bolt for the bolt towards the front of the vehicle otherwise it will be VERY difficult to tighten it down with a torx.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:06 AM
Blurspeed
Instructor

Originally Posted by JAYNO20
Yup, gotta get a wrench behind there because there are nuts on the back that need to be held while you turn the bolts. If you are going to put the stage 3 winglets on you should also use a hex head bolt for the bolt towards the front of the vehicle otherwise it will be VERY difficult to tighten it down with a torx.
Ok cool. Guess I’ll try again. Thanks!!
Old 02-20-2018, 12:28 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You do need to get to the nuts on the back that aren't shown in this picture. On my car getting to the nuts required removing the side air dam (shown in picture behind rear bolt), loosening the front under tray and pulling it down to gain access to the nuts.

Bill
Old 02-20-2018, 02:17 AM
Blurspeed
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You do need to get to the nuts on the back that aren't shown in this picture. On my car getting to the nuts required removing the side air dam (shown in picture behind rear bolt), loosening the front under tray and pulling it down to gain access to the nuts.

Bill
I somehow managed to do it without doing that but it was a huge pain in the *** and took a lot longer. LoL
Old 02-20-2018, 02:18 AM
Blurspeed
Instructor

Finally got them off everyone. Thank you for all the help! Just needed to hold the nuts in the back. LoL. What a pain in the ***.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:53 AM
Phudu2004
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Blurspeed
Finally got them off everyone. Thank you for all the help! Just needed to hold the nuts in the back. LoL. What a pain in the ***.
Lol I had the same problem so I quit and said to myself that I’ll do that when I buy the carbon fiber front splitter
Old 02-20-2018, 04:52 PM
Blurspeed
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phudu2004
Lol I had the same problem so I quit and said to myself that I’ll do that when I buy the carbon fiber front splitter
LoL too funny. I quit too but then figured I’d ask the forum. Glad I did
Old 04-10-2018, 09:31 PM
Tweedy
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Bill

I have a Grand Sport with the OEM GM exposed carbon fiber ground effects package. I'm looking to take off the Stage 2 "wimpy" looking winglets and install the Stage 3 canards / winglets on my front splitter. I want carbon fiber replacements for the OEM Stage 3 plastic ones and I see that these are made by Anderson Composites, C7 Carbon and soon as I understand it, APR. Has anyone bought any of these any installed them? They all look the same and are very similar costs but I'm not sure if one is better than the other? They all seem to have a 6-8 week wait for them!
Old 02-28-2021, 05:28 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Bill
After searching all the posts on this forum that I could, it sounds like somewhere in the MY16 production they went to a slightly different design and installed some sort of captive or stop nut on the ends of these bolts? I believe so that you could attach your winglets and tighten the torx screws without having to get a wrench on the other side (PITA)? Is there anything that I can get ahead of time to make this easier for me when I go to remove my bumper in case I don't have the revised parts? Are these simply a 10mm captive/stop nut that goes on the backside of these bolts? Thanks in advance!

Get notified of new replies

To Help needed: Removing winglets from Stage 2 front splitter

Quick Reply: Help needed: Removing winglets from Stage 2 front splitter