C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A common failure on C2's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:23 PM
Bilmcna
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A common failure on C2's?

The vent window actuators on my '63 both had blown their riveted back panels.
Driver's side panel had dropped completely off and down into door pocket, while passenger side's piece was hanging on by only one rivet.

Used my little Dremmle cut-off to trim the old rivets flush with the little panels, tapped for #10 s.s. screws.
Cleaned and re-packed gears, seems to function perfectly now,

75% failure rate seems high, was this a weak point that year or the whole series???
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2018, 10:27 PM
reno stallion
Melting Slicks

Received 1,518 Likes on 801 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Did that on both of my impalas easy fix. Harder to take the door panel off with out screwing it up
Old 02-19-2018, 11:13 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Being made of pot metal, that last hard crank to get the vent windows to pop closed on the seals did a lot of them in. I drilled all the way through and put small screws with nuts on them so the soft metal wouldn't strip again.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:05 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Being made of pot metal, that last hard crank to get the vent windows to pop closed on the seals did a lot of them in.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:59 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I had a top restorer tell me to always use two hands to fully close the vent windows. On that last 1/2 crank to seal the window against the weatherstrip use one hand to push the forward edge of the glass against the rubber while cranking the handle with the other hand.

Its become second nature now..
Old 02-20-2018, 08:59 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

When I had my '56 Bel Air, I would wince everytime someone started playing with the vent windows. It seemed they always had to put the muscle to those little crank arms, like they were trying to rip them out of the door, let alone the force applied to get the window open and closed. I finally told any passengers the window wings were broke and don't mess with them. Same thing applied to all my following cars with vent windows whether they had a crank or a flip over latch.

Back then, I smoked and needed the vents for the draft but I'd use the two hand method described above (I never was a top restorer and didn't know any). These same two cars, 50+ later still have the same crank or latch mechanism intact and good and tight.

Same goes for sun visors in my cars. They don't work either so keep your hands off them!

Get notified of new replies

To A common failure on C2's?

Quick Reply: A common failure on C2's?