C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Parts vs. Rebuilding

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:41 PM
NJey1985
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Parts vs. Rebuilding

Hi All,

I just wanted to get people’s thoughts on keeping original parts on their car vs. replacing them.

E.g. Rebuilding Calipers versus Replacing Calipers and rebuilding master cylinder vs. new.

I am not concerned about the money difference (new vs. rebuild), more about maintaining the cars value in the future through original components.

I am not sure how much the value difference would be.

Last edited by NJey1985; 02-19-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:08 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Original/future value means nothgin when it comes to a C4.
Its either new and works right or it doesnt

No 5k buyer gives a crap that went out with the 73;these are NOT collector cars no matter how you break the #s down. Sorry
Peop[le buy these because they are cheap, period.

Last edited by cv67; 02-19-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:17 AM
JETS C3-C4
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

I don't think he is asking about a C4.

He recently bought a 1969 C3 427 so I would suggest that you rebuild
the calipers if they are good enough if you want originality.

Also when you ask a question it is very helpful to include the year of your car and any other information that may help others answer your question.

Congrats or your new car.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:16 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Rebuild as much as is possible, especially for a 69 427............................
Old 02-20-2018, 06:45 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi NJ,
Well!
How are you and your new car getting along?

I agree that repairing or rebuilding original parts is typically a good idea.

You may find that the calipers presently on your car have already been replaced. This is often done when owners find that the calipers on their car are leaking brake fluid and replace those calipers with stainless steel sleeved calipers.
The same thing may be true about the master cylinder... it too may have been replaced with a new one because it was leaking.

There are some ways to determine if the calipers and master cylinder MAY be original to the car by looking at their configuration, casting numbers, date code and broadcast code.

Even if you decide to buy new parts for your car I'd suggest you keep at least the master cylinder if you determine it could be the appropriate part for your car.
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-20-2018, 09:23 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Assuming that you have a degree of mechanical aptitude I will toss another perspective out there:

I am rebuilding as much as I can on my own car. Not because of originality, numbers matching type stuff and not because of budget (although that naturally plays a part) but because in this day and age of ever declining standards I know that if I rebuild/refinish something that it will be done right.

In my motorcycle racing days I never let anyone come near my race bike with a wrench. It takes an extreme level of confidence to perform at that level and part of that comes from knowing that I did not have to worry about a bolt backing out mid-turn because I torqued it or safety wired it myself.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:48 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

One more thought. If you replace an original part, save it. The next owner of my car will get original master cylinder, shocks, etc.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:53 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

When I bought my 73, I was very excited as the seller told me it was a "number matching car".
What I found was that while the engine, trans, rear end and most other parts were all original, things like the rotors, calipers, carb, and other items had been changed out with "new parts".
For me, I wanted a Corvette that was numbers matching, and as original as possible so I would not have to contend with prior owners modifications or poor repairs.
Keep as much as you can with OEM equipment as it will make the car more valuable to someone who wants to purchase a car that way.
If the parts have already been replaced with non original parts, I would upgrade them with new parts rather than rebuilding.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:59 PM
NJey1985
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi NJ,
Well!
How are you and your new car getting along?

I agree that repairing or rebuilding original parts is typically a good idea.

You may find that the calipers presently on your car have already been replaced. This is often done when owners find that the calipers on their car are leaking brake fluid and replace those calipers with stainless steel sleeved calipers.
The same thing may be true about the master cylinder... it too may have been replaced with a new one because it was leaking.

There are some ways to determine if the calipers and master cylinder MAY be original to the car by looking at their configuration, casting numbers, date code and broadcast code.

Even if you decide to buy new parts for your car I'd suggest you keep at least the master cylinder if you determine it could be the appropriate part for your car.
Regards,
Alan
I will be heading down the rebuild path. All the Calipers were leaking and the fluid in the master cylinder was contaminated. I will just put new brake hoses all round on.

I will check on the stainless steel sleeves.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:08 PM
NJey1985
Advanced

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow
Assuming that you have a degree of mechanical aptitude I will toss another perspective out there:

I am rebuilding as much as I can on my own car. Not because of originality, numbers matching type stuff and not because of budget (although that naturally plays a part) but because in this day and age of ever declining standards I know that if I rebuild/refinish something that it will be done right.

In my motorcycle racing days I never let anyone come near my race bike with a wrench. It takes an extreme level of confidence to perform at that level and part of that comes from knowing that I did not have to worry about a bolt backing out mid-turn because I torqued it or safety wired it myself.
I am a mechanical engineer and have changed brakes before on my other cars however my new house has a very small garage which is going to proclude me from doing major mechanical work on the car.

I found the brake rebuild parts cost to be 25% of the new parts cost. Definitely big $$$ savings if I could do it myself.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:12 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi NJ,
If your calipers already have the stainless steel sleeves in them and the sleeve surfaces are in good condition rebuilding what you have is quite a straight forward job.
Regards,
Alan

Don't let your pocket protector get in the way! :-)

Last edited by Alan 71; 02-20-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:44 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by NJey1985

I am a mechanical engineer and have changed brakes before on my other cars however my new house has a very small garage which is going to proclude me from doing major mechanical work on the car.

I found the brake rebuild parts cost to be 25% of the new parts cost. Definitely big $$$ savings if I could do it myself.
I completely agree and I just rebuilt my master cylinder yesterday, and my front calipers about a month ago.

I don't know if you are going to NCRS standards or not but if not, consider painting/powdercoating the calipers now while you have them off. If you want the original look then perhaps a clear paint? These things flash rust within minutes of cleaning.

Get notified of new replies

To New Parts vs. Rebuilding

Quick Reply: New Parts vs. Rebuilding