C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Android auto update from somewhere other than dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 11:28 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Android auto update from somewhere other than dealership?

I just traded my 2016 Z51 for a 2016 Z06 this weekend. Just like my stingray, it didn't come with Android Auto. Just like with my stingray, I immediately made an appt to get the update, which was supposed to be covered by GM (and was on my stingray). I get there and they tell me GM stopped covering it in April 2017 and I would have to pay $145 out of pocket. No way I'm doing that, so I'm looking to see if anyone knows a way to do the update without going to the dealership. That's absolute garbage, imo. Why would they put a deadline on it? "Hey, we should have included this to start with, so we'll cover the cost of upgrading your software, but only if you do it NOW!!" Anyone know if there's a way to do it on your own?

Last edited by Toddiesel; 02-20-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:41 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

That's BS! Go to another dealer!

When I had the AA update I went to the dealer where I bought the car (Boardwalk Chevy). They were great with the purchase - not so great with servicing the car. The had done a few things before for me and were OK at it but for some reason I got the run around with this. I don't think that it was that they weren't gonna perform the work for free - I forget the particulars but I was mad at their unprofessionalism for this particular thing and even saw the head guy there and complained.

Meantime I called up Momentum Chevrolet and got an appointment that afternoon.

I think this is a dealer only install. If that dealership is giving you crap about it go to another dealership and get it done. Make them compete. It's what the free market is all about.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:45 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by defaria
That's BS! Go to another dealer!

When I had the AA update I went to the dealer where I bought the car (Boardwalk Chevy). They were great with the purchase - not so great with servicing the car. The had done a few things before for me and were OK at it but for some reason I got the run around with this. I don't think that it was that they weren't gonna perform the work for free - I forget the particulars but I was mad at their unprofessionalism for this particular thing and even saw the head guy there and complained.

Meantime I called up Momentum Chevrolet and got an appointment that afternoon.

I think this is a dealer only install. If that dealership is giving you crap about it go to another dealership and get it done. Make them compete. It's what the free market is all about.
Yeah I'll check other dealerships, but looking around online, I have found a few sources that do say that the update had to be requested by the last day of 2016 and performed by april 2017 (I guess for people that wanted the update but couldn't bring it in till after winter was over?). I'm not even a little hopeful on getting another dealership to cover it for free, but I will call the other 2 corvette capable chevy dealers in the area. If this is a dealer only upgrade, that sucks. I can't live without my android auto though, not after using it for 2 years. Especially with navi. Google maps is SO much better. The chevy navi suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks! Plus it's super out of date and costs a guap to get the new maps.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:59 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Since I bought a new 2016 this month (yes, new), all updates were gratis. I found they will not do preemptive software updates...you have to have a complaint. My complaint was that Android Auto was not working. They updated to a newer 2016 software. AA now works just fine (I still need to figure out the mirrorlink). My guess there are newer updates, but they use the latest for the complaint, not just the latest.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:00 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Well, checked both other dealerships in the area and they're both charging $145 to do it. I even asked them to check and they came back reaffirming the charge. There has GOT to be a way to update the software other than through the dealership. I know if you go into settings, there's a way to update from an external source. Not sure if that would be the USB port in the "secret" compartment or the SD slot for the PDR, but I feel like if I could just find the update file, I could do it that way. Anyone got anything?
Old 02-20-2018, 12:03 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
Since I bought a new 2016 this month (yes, new), all updates were gratis. I found they will not do preemptive software updates...you have to have a complaint. My complaint was that Android Auto was not working. They updated to a newer 2016 software. AA now works just fine (I still need to figure out the mirrorlink). My guess there are newer updates, but they use the latest for the complaint, not just the latest.
Yeah that would be good, but wouldn't work in my situation. My Z06 is technically used plus I bought it in Atlanta and I live in Charleston SC (about a 5 hour drive, 4 in the Z06). I'd rather just pay $150 than make that round trip drive again. Definitely not a bad thought though. "My android auto doesn't work". I would almost be willing to give it a shot if I wasn't confident that it would be a huge waste of my time where they come out and say "looks like you need the AA update. That'll be $163 after tax"
Old 02-20-2018, 12:10 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Well, checked both other dealerships in the area and they're both charging $145 to do it. I even asked them to check and they came back reaffirming the charge. There has GOT to be a way to update the software other than through the dealership. I know if you go into settings, there's a way to update from an external source. Not sure if that would be the USB port in the "secret" compartment or the SD slot for the PDR, but I feel like if I could just find the update file, I could do it that way. Anyone got anything?
Problem is you need an MDI tool and a service programming subscription. The Android Auto / Car Play update does load from USB, but there's a 2nd step after that's loaded that requires the scan tool. Even going with a Chinese knockoff scan tool will still cost more than $145 once you factor in the SPS subscription.

The only way you're going to beat the system is to find a local enthusiast who owns the tools and is willing to do it for beer money. You'll still be out $40 for a single VIN SPS account though.
The following users liked this post:
Toddiesel (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 12:14 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Problem is you need an MDI tool and a service programming subscription. The Android Auto / Car Play update does load from USB, but there's a 2nd step after that's loaded that requires the scan tool. Even going with a Chinese knockoff scan tool will still cost more than $145 once you factor in the SPS subscription.

The only way you're going to beat the system is to find a local enthusiast who owns the tools and is willing to do it for beer money. You'll still be out $40 for a single VIN SPS account though.
Ah. Sounds like you know your stuff. Well poo! Thanks for the definitive answer, though I wish it were better news! Guess I just have to figure out which dealership I want stealing my money now...
Old 02-20-2018, 02:08 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent

There is no mirrorlink. That's not how AA works.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:09 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Ah. Sounds like you know your stuff. Well poo! Thanks for the definitive answer, though I wish it were better news! Guess I just have to figure out which dealership I want stealing my money now...
Personally I would contact GM directly (not sure how or not sure how to get somebody who can do something about this). This is patently unfair IMHO and I would complain about it!
Old 02-20-2018, 02:15 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

There is no mirrorlink. That's not how AA works.
Good to know, thanks.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:03 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Personally I would contact GM directly (not sure how or not sure how to get somebody who can do something about this). This is patently unfair IMHO and I would complain about it!
Well one of the dealerships changed their tune and said since I'm still under bumper to bumper warranty, they'd cover it. Of course this was after I told them I wanted to get the new MRC recalibration too.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:18 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Good luck. I hope you get it.

Get notified of new replies

To Android auto update from somewhere other than dealership?

Quick Reply: Android auto update from somewhere other than dealership?