Sponsored by:

C5 Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 03:54 PM
Gary T. Kleckner
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 Clutch Replacement

My 2000 C5 developed a clutch issue with pretty much no warning. Took it to dealer and it turns out the slave cylinder seal was the issue. I just bought the car in November 2017 and it only has 25k miles on it, but it makes sense that age may have something to do with it. All the posts I saw relating to cost were older and placed the cost at around $2100. for replacement. 2018, to have the dealer do the work, (70+ years old, don't do this stuff anymore) around $3400, everything new including main and slave, clutch, pilot and plate. Does that sound reasonable based on others experience?
Old 02-20-2018, 04:17 PM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

What issues did ya start having, if ya don’t mind me asking? Mine recently has been sticking to the floor occasionally and hanging up mid-way.. I checked the reservoir and it was empty.. so I performed the Ranger method (flushed the fluid), and it’s been manageable since.. still feels like there might be air in it, but I’m pessimistically hopeful that it’ll “self-bleed”, because I really don’t wanna hafta bleed it lol
Old 02-20-2018, 04:36 PM
Glendows
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That quote seems pretty high to me but then again it is a dealership after all. I had my clutch replaced back in November at a performance shop and the total cost of parts and labor to install a new clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing, rear main seal, master cylinder, slave cylinder and remote speed bleeder was $2,500.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:49 PM
Gary T. Kleckner
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by OleStraightStick
What issues did ya start having, if ya don’t mind me asking? Mine recently has been sticking to the floor occasionally and hanging up mid-way.. I checked the reservoir and it was empty.. so I performed the Ranger method (flushed the fluid), and it’s been manageable since.. still feels like there might be air in it, but I’m pessimistically hopeful that it’ll “self-bleed”, because I really don’t wanna hafta bleed it lol
Everything was good until yesterday, I jumped on it alittle when shifting the clutch came back halfway. Next shift, it went to the floor and I had to pullup with my foot. Pumped it a few times and it came back. Next shifts same thing. Then this morning, went right to floor and would not pump back up. Main reservoir was full.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:52 PM
Gary T. Kleckner
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Glendows
That quote seems pretty high to me but then again it is a dealership after all. I had my clutch replaced back in November at a performance shop and the total cost of parts and labor to install a new clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing, rear main seal, master cylinder, slave cylinder and remote speed bleeder was $2,500.
I thought it was a bit high but I haven't found a performance shop here I trust. I have a 2009 Mustang Conv also and it has been tough getting reliable work done on it. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:32 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Let us know where you are located. There are many on the forum that know the better independent shops in the areas.

Gary
The following users liked this post:
Gary T. Kleckner (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 12:18 AM
darkling
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

way high dude pick up a monster clutch for 800ish then a master for 150 maybe 8 hour install maybe 1100 in labor on the high side
Old 02-21-2018, 01:03 AM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

If it is the slave cylinder why are you replacing the clutch?
Old 02-21-2018, 01:14 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If it were ME, I would do a MASTER CYL replacement and see if that resolves the issue.. They get cranky and cause all sorts of weird issues...

BC
Old 02-21-2018, 07:54 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,313 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary T. Kleckner
My 2000 C5 developed a clutch issue with pretty much no warning. Took it to dealer and it turns out the slave cylinder seal was the issue. I just bought the car in November 2017 and it only has 25k miles on it, but it makes sense that age may have something to do with it. All the posts I saw relating to cost were older and placed the cost at around $2100. for replacement. 2018, to have the dealer do the work, (70+ years old, don't do this stuff anymore) around $3400, everything new including main and slave, clutch, pilot and plate. Does that sound reasonable based on others experience?
That is too high a price and there is no reason with only 25K miles to change the clutch out. As Bill Curlee suggested, I would also change out the master cylinder first as this is a relative cheap part and easy to change out.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:57 AM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I certainly do not know as much as Bill. But I do know enough to agree with his suggestion. Your issue is more than likely hydraulic in nature. Not mechanical. I would not go changing the clutch just yet.

Is the clutch slipping? If not then why change it?
Old 02-21-2018, 09:00 AM
Gary T. Kleckner
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
Let us know where you are located. There are many on the forum that know the better independent shops in the areas.

Gary
I'm in the Cleveland ,Ohio area
Old 02-21-2018, 09:05 AM
Gary T. Kleckner
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by darkling
way high dude pick up a monster clutch for 800ish then a master for 150 maybe 8 hour install maybe 1100 in labor on the high side
I wish I would have joined this forum before. Frankly didn't know it existed until yesterday. The dealer is already working on it but in the future I'll look here first.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:34 PM
Gary T. Kleckner
Heel & Toe

Default C5 Clutch

Originally Posted by SilverC54me

Gary
Twinsburg, OH
Old 02-21-2018, 03:42 PM
Gary T. Kleckner
Heel & Toe

Default C5 Clutch

Originally Posted by Ducati Guy
If it is the slave cylinder why are you replacing the clutch?
I bought the car in Nov 2017 and don’t have much history on it. This is just a little playing it safe on my part, although I wish I had gone thru the forum before and found somewhere else to check the cost. Part of the issue was, once I got it to the dealer I had no clutch at all and would need it towed to somewhere else. Oh well. lessons learned.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:50 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,042 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary T. Kleckner
Everything was good until yesterday, I jumped on it alittle when shifting the clutch came back halfway. Next shift, it went to the floor and I had to pull up with my foot. Pumped it a few times and it came back. Next shifts same thing. Then this morning, went right to floor and would not pump back up. Main reservoir was full.
Had this happen on my '99 in 2016 and on my wifes 2000 in 2015. Both times it happened on the way to work and luckily both times made it to the Corvette shop just in time. Replaced just the clutch master cylinder with reservoir on each car and no issues since. C5 clutch master cylinders with reservoirs run around $200-$225 for a genuine GM part, depending where you buy it. It's a 1-3 hour job depending on experience. More for an amateur. I had it done by a Corvette performance specialty shop, Valone Motorsports in Ft Myers and it was meticulously completed in under 2 hours.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Clutch Replacement

Quick Reply: C5 Clutch Replacement