Sponsored by:

Dash cams? What are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:14 PM
brettmess24
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Dash cams? What are you using?

I want to equip all of my vehicles with dash cams. Prefer small as possible as to not hinder view etc.

What are you guys and gals using?

Last edited by brettmess24; 02-20-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:22 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

I thought about it but decided no on the dash cam. No point in self incrimination. Maybe in my truck or SUV but not the vette.
The following 2 users liked this post by vbdenny:
Glenmcp (06-07-2018), Maxie2U (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 08:28 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Just installed the BlackVue DR750S-2CH this weekend. This model comes with both front and rear viewing cameras. Form factor is nice. Great setup.

Last edited by Patches; 02-20-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:46 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I use a go pro but now with PDR in my 15 I use that much longer record time than a go pro and Im sure not telling leo's that I have it if anything is my fault
The following users liked this post:
Formula52 (06-06-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 09:39 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by brettmess24
I want to equip all of my vehicles with dash cams. Prefer small as possible as to not hinder view etc. What are you guys and gals using?
I early adopted a small dual channel (front/rear) dash cam in my Subaru:
Koonlung K1S Koonlung K1S
. I do NOT recommend it. Although it advertises it does "x, y, z", it will for about 30min. Then the processor starts losing its mind. In order for it to work well is to shut off all the cool stuff (Lane Departure Warning, Motion Detect, G-Sensor for crash, etc). It is also not tolerant of heat, so I have it mounted near an air vent. All I kept was GPS location, time/date and speed (it's a Subaru for God's sake, not a Corvette). It's good for those feature. What's really neat is the stand alone DVR. It's not connected directly to either camera, but by mini USB cables (as is the power and GPS). Again, no, I wouldn't do it again. Very little support from the manufacturer or vendor.

I'm currently set to have installed a
Thinkware F800 Pro Thinkware F800 Pro
dual channel dash cam in my C7. Good reviews and looks like it could be a set-n-forget.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:51 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,002 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

In our current '17 GS we have the PDR which is mediocre as far as I am concerned.....

I also have a Street Guardian Dashcam my version is actually an older one. I use it in our daily driver, Honda.

https://smile.amazon.com/Street-Guar...rdian+dash+cam

Awesome quality video and audio. WAY better than the factory PDR, but doesn't offer the track overlay features, etc.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:58 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,237 Posts

I don’t want a cam recording my driving experience if you know what I mean.

What happens in my car stays with my car, no recordings!
ONENATION (03-30-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 10:13 PM
brettmess24
Racer

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I don’t want a cam recording my driving experience if you know what I mean.

What happens in my car stays with my car, no recordings!
I don’t want/need it for that.

Thanks for all the options thus far checking them out!
Old 02-20-2018, 10:22 PM
itch808
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

Blacksys CH-100B, nice and compact, 2 channels, wifi a little wonky but improved with firmware update (still not perfect)
Old 02-20-2018, 10:35 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I like the PDR in the C7, and find myself using it to just record normal driving more often than a few years ago.

The Hummer H3 is my winter poor weather vehicle. I use a Garmin DriveAssist in that vehicle and it brought a few other features along for the ride. Not only is it a dashcam, it also supports a wireless backup cam with guidance lines (the H3 definitely needs a backup cam), GPS navigation and all the Garmin nav apps, bluetooth for hands free phone, lane departure warnings, forward collision alerts, and various driver alerts. The only thing it doesn't do is traffic info, and that's only if use their backup cam.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:53 PM
brettmess24
Racer

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
I like the PDR in the C7, and find myself using it to just record normal driving more often than a few years ago.

The Hummer H3 is my winter poor weather vehicle. I use a Garmin DriveAssist in that vehicle and it brought a few other features along for the ride. Not only is it a dashcam, it also supports a wireless backup cam with guidance lines (the H3 definitely needs a backup cam), GPS navigation and all the Garmin nav apps, bluetooth for hands free phone, lane departure warnings, forward collision alerts, and various driver alerts. The only thing it doesn't do is traffic info, and that's only if use their backup cam.
This cam looks like a good option, thanks! Looking at the 65 anyone else use them? I like the blackvue as well.

Last edited by brettmess24; 02-20-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:45 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Patches: I've been thinking about the BlackVue Dr750S-2CH and wondering how you like it, how was the install, what size SD Card and are you happy.

Oh, the price is what keeps me indecisive so where did you purchase and did you get good deal.

Originally Posted by Patches
Just installed the BlackVue DR750S-2CH this weekend. This model comes with both front and rear viewing cameras. Form factor is nice. Great setup.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:38 AM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

PDR

Old 03-18-2018, 02:47 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KGrant
Patches: I've been thinking about the BlackVue Dr750S-2CH and wondering how you like it, how was the install, what size SD Card and are you happy.

Oh, the price is what keeps me indecisive so where did you purchase and did you get good deal.
Absolutely love it - except for a failed optional Power Magic Pro (keeps camera on after car is shut off for a period of time to monitor in parking lots/garages, etc.) but that was replaced free by BlackVue. I have the dual 64 GB setup and the quality of components is very nice.

The quality of the video is excellent and you can even hook up to either camera in real time on your phone or while the car is sitting in your garage (if you're within several meters and have the PMP module installed and it's active). It has WiFi and GPS (adds location and speed data to video) and can connect through the Cloud functionality. The form factor is such that the front camera fits in front of the RVM bezel so is out of sight unless I lean forward. I can't see the rear camera at all either as it is smaller and mounted fairly high on the inside of the rear glass. It was a relatively easy install with the most difficult part being running the wires through the windshield header and to the back for the rear camera. No big deal, though, as the panels pop off easily and the wires are small and easy to place/hide.

The system allows you to customize a lot so that you have flexibility in what and how it records and what shows on the videos. The phone app is great as is the desktop viewer so you have several viewing options with the SD in and out of the camera.

The PMP module for recording during Parking mode I mentioned is a cool feature but there have been similar reports to mine of failures and, in a couple of cases, running the battery down (the module is supposed to shut off after a certain period of time you set to prevent battery drain) so I'm not sure if I'm going to install the replacement ( I left all the wires in place in case I do want to in the future).

The "collision" g-sensor is a nice feature as well in that it senses a collision and automatically records 30 seconds prior to and continues beyond the event. It also records collisions during Parking mode if you have the PMP module enabled.

I love the dual camera setup as I have a rough commute with super-aggressive tail-gaters on the Ortega Hwy. who insist on staying 6" from your bumper for the entire 20 miles of two-lane unless you pull over to let them by. I want video proof of any incident as I have been rear-ended twice over the past 5 years on my commute in one my other vehicles and it would be irrefutable proof of the road-rage and intimidation driving behavior that is so common here.

BlackVue (PittaSoft is the business entity) is a Korean product/company so support is delayed by a 17-hour time difference from SoCal but they do respond in a reasonable time and the replacement they sent for the PMP module was a complete new setup and they did not ask me to return the failed unit - only to send a pic of it with the serial number showing.

I am very happy with the system so far and would definitely buy again.

Excuse the crappy pics - I can get better if desired.

Last edited by Patches; 03-18-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:32 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Garmin 45
Old 03-18-2018, 05:48 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

I ordered the same setup. May I ask where you installed the rear camera? I'm thinking of installing mine on the rear hatch above the heating wires, going through the rubber tube/connector.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:27 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I mounted the rear camera directly to the rear glass (has tint on it but no problem). It's good where it is but I may move it a bit more rearward to eliminate more of the factory shading on the glass.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash cams? What are you using?

Old 03-18-2018, 08:18 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Here's a nice install video if you want to hide the wire in the rear hatch.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...2ch+install+c7

I mounted the rear camera directly to the rear glass (has tint on it but no problem). It's good where it is but I may move it a bit more rearward to eliminate more of the factory shading on the glass.

Last edited by KGrant; 03-18-2018 at 08:21 PM.
GreenGA (03-20-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 08:48 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

I notice these different add on's and I understand the SD Card but what's the other options and/or are they necessary?

Old 03-18-2018, 09:27 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KGrant
Here's a nice install video if you want to hide the wire in the rear hatch.
Thanks. As I mentioned, I'm not sure about the final mounting spot for the rear camera so I left the wire accessible for now until I decide if I leave it there or not. Where the video shows the mounting, the camera needs to be pointed down further than I want to avoid the shading on the glass which is why I mounted it on the glass. I'm going to experiment with a couple of ideas in the next few weeks to get the optimum positioning.

IMO, this was not as big a deal to install as the guy in the vid mentions but maybe it's because I'm used to much bigger projects.

Quick Reply: Dash cams? What are you using?