C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 stock boost level?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 02:39 AM
Hacker383sc
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C7 Z06 stock boost level?

I have an all stock 2016 Z06 A8 4000mi. What kind of boost gauge readings are you guys seeing at wot? Anyone know the stock psi rating? I have read that it is supposed to be around 9-9.5psi stock. If thats the case I seem to be a little low at 9psi at sea level. Ill check/swap the air filter out and prob put an aftermarket gauge on it. Lemme know. Thx guys
Attached Images  

Last edited by Hacker383sc; 09-01-2020 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:10 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

I have read altitude effects boost. Where are you?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superc...titude_effects

Oh and fasten your seatbelt

Last edited by cheapthrills; 02-21-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:15 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

that's not a precise gauge
Old 02-21-2018, 09:41 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Jesus bruh. You're doing a buck 24, holding your cell phone, taking a bunch of pics, with no seat belt on. Come on! And Higgs Boson (nice username btw) is correct. the stock boost gauge on any car is not going to be super accurate. I've seen mine go up to like 12 and i know it isn't that high. I barely hear any whine
Old 02-21-2018, 12:25 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hacker383sc
Yeah, Only 124.
Geez. I mean, I ain't saying i haven't done 150+, but I'm wearing my seatbelt and I ain't running snapchat!
Old 02-21-2018, 12:33 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
that's not a precise gauge
I checked, and a typical Bosch MAP sensor is rated +/- 1kPa, which is pretty damned accurate. The ECM clearly knows the absolute barometric pressure as well as the relative pressure.

Where'd you get the idea they're not precise? Or do you believe there is error between the sensor and gauge? Or are you asserting that the gauge display is manipulated (like Temp is) for the sake of the user?

I wouldn't try to parse a single PSI out of it, but I don't see why it'd be inaccurate beyond "hard to read".

Last edited by davepl; 02-21-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:48 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I checked, and a typical Bosch MAP sensor is rated +/- 1kPa, which is pretty damned accurate. The ECM clearly knows the absolute barometric pressure as well as the relative pressure.

Where'd you get the idea they're not precise? Or do you believe there is error between the sensor and gauge? Or are you asserting that the gauge display is manipulated (like Temp is) for the sake of the user?

I wouldn't try to parse a single PSI out of it, but I don't see why it'd be inaccurate beyond "hard to read".
Not speaking for my particle friend (get it?) but I did agree with him, so I'll put in my $.02. I imagine stock gauges have come a long way in the last couple of decades, but back in my late teens in the late 90s/early 00s, everyone that had a boosted car had an aftermarket boost gauge and it always had a different reading than the stock boost gauge and everyone "knew" stock boost gauges were "garbage". Granted since this was in the 99-03 time frame, and most people had 5-10 year old cars, we're talking about 20+ year old technology
Old 02-21-2018, 12:55 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

i said the gauge isn't precise, not the sensor isn't precise.

have you ever measured map directly and watched the gauge? there is a difference, the gauge is basically a dummy gauge, like a coolant gauge that only shows cold, normal, and overheating.

also, there are a ton of factors that will screw up how much boost you are making, we all know the throttle blade closes and opens based on the torque model to regulate airflow (not boost) and power. the boost solenoid can open the bypass valve and purge some boost, etc etc.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:00 PM
wagoetzmann
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Boost Dash Indicator – Calibration

I obtained a new vacuum/boost gauge and verified it’s calibration using several known correct gauges before temporary installing it.
I teed this gauge to the supercharger’s by-pass valve’s backside or bottom line.
My car has a 2.31 top pulley.
I filmed a hit using launch control.
Temporary boost gauge 0 - 20 psi in 1 psi increments; dash indicator 0 to 15 psi in 1.5 psi increments.

At the hit the gauge went to 9.5 psi but the dash indicator only went to 4.5 psi, a factor of 2.11:1.
Top of 1st gear the gauge went to 12 psi but the dash indicator only went to 7.5 psi, a factor of 1.71:1.
Mid 3rd gear to gauge went to 11 psi but the dash indicator only went to 9 psi, a factor of 1.22:1.
Seems the longer the time factor the closer the more accurate the dash indicator got.

I also noticed the vacuum side was much closer to being accurate….
Temporary vacuum gauge 0 – 30 inhg in 2 inhg increments; dash indicator 0 - 15 psi in 2.5 psi increments.
(15 psi = 30.54”hg)
Attached Images  

Last edited by wagoetzmann; 02-21-2018 at 01:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BIG B FAB (10-20-2022)
Old 02-21-2018, 01:29 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

have you ever measured map directly and watched the gauge? there is a difference, the gauge is basically a dummy gauge, like a coolant gauge that only shows cold, normal, and overheating.
That's what I meant by "manipulated for the sake of the user (like Temp)". That said, you'd think if the gauge is going to embellish it would do so to spec, not below it.

If Marketing conspired to design the gauge they'd make sure it read peak advertised boost as per the brochure.

If Legal conspired to design the gauge they'd make sure it only ever understated boost, never overpromising.

If the Race team conspired to design the gauge, it'd point up at nominal boost so it's easy to read at a glance.

If Engineering conspired to design the gauge it sure wouldn't be 15 psiu divided into 10 tick marks, because that's weird.

Have I ever closely watched the gauge and compared to MAP data? No, being a street-driven car, when it's in full boost I need to be looking where I'm going... unlike a manual, I can't hold a high load in a gear because of kickdown, so if I'm at full boost, I'm moving.

Last edited by davepl; 02-21-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Kingtal0n (02-22-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 02:21 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

That's what I meant by "manipulated for the sake of the user (like Temp)". That said, you'd think if the gauge is going to embellish it would do so to spec, not below it.

If Marketing conspired to design the gauge they'd make sure it read peak advertised boost as per the brochure.

If Legal conspired to design the gauge they'd make sure it only ever understated boost, never overpromising.

If the Race team conspired to design the gauge, it'd point up at nominal boost so it's easy to read at a glance.

If Engineering conspired to design the gauge it sure wouldn't be 15 psiu divided into 10 tick marks, because that's weird.

Have I ever closely watched the gauge and compared to MAP data? No, being a street-driven car, when it's in full boost I need to be looking where I'm going... unlike a manual, I can't hold a high load in a gear because of kickdown, so if I'm at full boost, I'm moving.
I don't know why they do what they do. I didn't mean watching the computer while you drive, you can save the data and look later.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:41 PM
wagoetzmann
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

I don't know why they do what they do. I didn't mean watching the computer while you drive, you can save the data and look later.
Question - Which parameter gives correct boost pressure? Boost inHG nor MAP KPA/PSI don't. GM must have a multiplier factor they use....just to confuse everyone?
Old 02-21-2018, 02:50 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Where'd you get the idea they're not precise?
I don't know about him, but I make part of my living from calibrating gauges, and they can be way far off, regardless of the manufacturers claims, even when they claim to be "lab grade" or "National Measurement Institute certified".
Old 02-21-2018, 02:54 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by wagoetzmann
Question - Which parameter gives correct boost pressure? Boost inHG nor MAP KPA/PSI don't. GM must have a multiplier factor they use....just to confuse everyone?
Manifold Pressure - Hi Res
in HPTuners is the correct one for the E92
Old 02-21-2018, 03:45 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

11.9 on the dyno with halltech intake and headers funny thing boost went up a 1/2 pound with the headers but who looks at the boost gauge anyway?

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 02-21-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:08 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Run PDR, download the file, and open it in the Cosworth Pi Toolbox. My car is running around 11 psi at peak. There is an "intake boost pressure" channel that is actual psi and a separate "boost pressure indicated" which is just a percentage and I suspect is what is sent to the dash gauge. Even at 11.17 psi the indicated pressure value is only 54.9%.

Help setting up the toolbox is in this video:
OUT2SEE (11-01-2019)
Old 02-21-2018, 05:38 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
My car is running around 11 psi at peak. There is an "intake boost pressure" channel that is actual psi and a separate "boost pressure indicated" which is just a percentage and I suspect is what is sent to the dash gauge.
PSI or boost pressure, referenced to what? Ambient local atmospheric pressure at startup? Theoritical sea level pressure? PSI above a total vacuum?

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 stock boost level?

Old 02-21-2018, 05:48 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
PSI or boost pressure, referenced to what? Ambient local atmospheric pressure at startup? Theoritical sea level pressure? PSI above a total vacuum?
you must log Baro and MAP - Hi Res and subtract and then you have a kpa you can convert to boost.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:27 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Well the intake boost pressure is by default in kpa but the toolbox lets you convert it to other units and I chose psi since that is what everyone was discussing.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:30 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Well the intake boost pressure is by default in kpa but the toolbox lets you convert it to other units and I chose psi since that is what everyone was discussing.
what i am saying is I don't recommend using the pids called "boost"

use Baro and MAP - Hi Res and do the math, say 164 kpa - 97 kpa = 67 kpa or 9.7 psi

the reason is many pids in the list are not measured, they are calculated or they are generic or they are legacy (meaning pulled forward from older generations). many spent a lot of time (over on HPT Forums) figuring out which were the ones worthy of logging and using, the rest are trash.

I am not saying that sometimes the other ones might make sense or calculate out properly, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 02-21-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 stock boost level?