C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bowling Green Corvette plant paint supplier?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 03:08 PM
tomcat11
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Bowling Green Corvette plant paint supplier?

Does anyone know what company supplied the paint for the C6 corvette? Would also like to know if Carbon Flash metallic was coated with straight clear or tinted. I'm guessing it is a "premium color?"

Thanks,
Tom
Old 02-21-2018, 03:37 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

DuPont made some crazy color paints, like Jeff Gordon's #24 had.
Could be PPG also, or possibly BASF although unlikely since BASF is German made.

Did a quick search, all that I found dealt w/ primer/color & CC, prep & procedures for applying etc.
No place stated WTH made paint used for/on C6, though.
The following users liked this post:
tomcat11 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 10:11 PM
tomcat11
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for looking. I was thinking Dupont or PPG too. Even if we knew that manufacturer they make varying grades on paint and clear..
Old 02-21-2018, 10:20 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Could be PPG also, or possibly BASF although unlikely since BASF is German made.

Did a quick search, all that I found dealt w/ primer/color & CC, prep & procedures for applying etc.
Didn't DuPont change their brand name? I noticed for the past few years there was a different name was on Jeff's #24.
Landru (02-22-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 10:44 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Didn't DuPont change their brand name? I noticed for the past few years there was a different name was on Jeff's #24.
It's now Axalta.
The following 2 users liked this post by jrose7004:
Cherokee Nation (02-21-2018), Landru (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 09:29 AM
Landru
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
According to J yes on both accounts.
All I know is when his car would take on different looks under differing light & DuPont made it.

FWIW threw-in the towel w/ NASCAR when 'a' race became 3.
However I'd seen the name change & wondered WTH Axalta is.
Thought it might be a anti-psychotic or ED med, never paint.
Cherokee Nation (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 10:37 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Yeah it does sound like an anti depressant drug.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:07 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

According to J yes on both accounts.
All I know is when his car would take on different looks under differing light & DuPont made it.

FWIW threw-in the towel w/ NASCAR when 'a' race became 3.
However I'd seen the name change & wondered WTH Axalta is.
Thought it might be a anti-psychotic or ED med, never paint.
....For the past 20 years Nascar has been trying to make it something it isn't. Don't get me wrong.....I give credit where credit is due to the driving aspect of it....but advertisement and conglomeration has taken it's toll, not to mention that most fans probably don't even know what a Carburetor is. But they know how to drink at the track !!!!....
Old 02-22-2018, 11:44 AM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

I'd talk to a reputable paint and body shop to find about the paint formula.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:09 PM
Landru
Race Director

Originally Posted by windyC6
...For the past 20 years Nascar has been trying to make it something it isn't.
Or catering to concepts its fans could never accept?
NASCAR was embarrassed by their own roots, or Sr's spawn anyway.

I quit when:
>A heavy-handed government mandated the France punk (or is that, drunk) & his sister spawn ingrates to dump Winston w/o a wimper.
>Allowing Toyota, an Asian product, to participate in the National Stock Car Association complete w/ hijacked & cloned motors/chassis etc visa-vi Dodge.
>Then there was banning flags. Probably banning books would've been poor optics. Always hated low hanging fruit pickers.
>Promoting/supporting lifestyles in direct opposition to the very values they knew their damned well 99.9% of their fans held dear.

Many of us didn't leave NASCAR, NASCAR left us.
A MBA study on how a popular sport/business commits suicide.
So be it.

Don't get me wrong...I give credit where credit is due to the driving aspect of it...[b]but advertisement and conglomeration has taken it's toll...
Yea, true that.
Notice the drivers these days?
Don't even shave.
No grease under the nails & gawd help they slug some idiot only to e castrated ala K. Harvick?

Corprocracy chose all who'd represent their image to include drivers, team owners & all staffing the pits -- driver skill, team, merit and raw competition be damned.
Fine.

[I]not to mention that most fans probably don't even know what a Carburetor is. But they know how to drink at the track !!!!...
Actually a big facet of NASCAR's appeal always used to be it was billed a family sport. Big Bill France's legacy. Granted, infield antics may be another matter though.
But I get your point, hard to attract fans who don't know the make of the Uber they ride in, or care.

Day Ol' Ironhead died, so began the sport's demise unbeknownst to them.
My beloved #3 couldn't have known how fortunate he'd be to not live to see the PC train wreck NASCAR would become.

Sad, so sad...& I mean it.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:40 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

I quit when:
>A heavy-handed government mandated the France punk (or is that, drunk) & his sister spawn ingrates to dump Winston w/o a wimper.
>Allowing Toyota, an Asian product, to participate in the National Stock Car Association complete w/ hijacked & cloned motors/chassis etc visa-vi Dodge.
>Then there was banning flags. Probably banning books would've been poor optics. Always hated low hanging fruit pickers.
>Promoting/supporting lifestyles in direct opposition to the very values they knew their damned well 99.9% of their fans held dear.

So be it.

Yea, true that.
Don't even shave.
No grease under the nails & gawd help they slug some idiot only to e castrated ala K. Harvick?

Corprocracy chose all who'd represent their image to include drivers, team owners & all staffing the pits -- driver skill, team, merit and raw competition be damned.
Fine.

Actually a big facet of NASCAR's appeal always used to be it was billed a family sport. Big Bill France's legacy. Granted, infield antics may be another matter though.
But I get your point, hard to attract fans who don't know the make of the Uber they ride in, or care.

My beloved #3 couldn't have known how fortunate he'd be to not live to see the PC train wreck NASCAR would become.

Much agreed. And how bout the way they have the drivers come out like fashion models on a cat-walk to be introduced. And my gosh, the winning driver can't even make it all the way out of the car before he has a hat from one sponsor....a drink from another sponsor shoved in their face. And your dirty fingernail is spot on. Remember when they use to take their helmet off and their face would be filthy.....now they look like just got through doing a Dove commercial.....
Landru (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 05:59 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

there are more than a few German made parts in all C6's.the one big one is the differential.all C6's have a Getrag differential
Old 02-27-2018, 09:02 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

I quit when:

So be it.

Yea, true that.
Don't even shave.

Fine.

race cars don't have fenders.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:01 AM
Landru
Race Director

Originally Posted by windyC6
Much agreed. And how bout the way they have the drivers come out like fashion models on a cat-walk to be introduced. And my gosh, the winning driver can't even make it all the way out of the car before he has a hat from one sponsor....a drink from another sponsor shoved in their face. And your dirty fingernail is spot on. Remember when they use to take their helmet off and their face would be filthy.....now they look like just got through doing a Dove commercial...

Yup, you get-it.
Us3d to be angry about this, not anymore.
Learned the very worst thing I can do to an 'enemy' outside 'war' is to leave them to themselves.

Have fun & good luck, NASCAR.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:04 AM
Landru
Race Director

Originally Posted by irok
there are more than a few German made parts in all C6's.the one big one is the differential.all C6's have a Getrag differential
True, but discussing the paint.
Do you know who supplied BG paint for C6?
Old 02-28-2018, 08:13 AM
Landru
Race Director

Originally Posted by LowRyter
race cars don't have fenders.
Some racecars, but I get the drift.

FWIW I 'rediscovered' Indycar when Chevy came back to fill my need for competitive motorsports.

JMHO, IF Ford were to re-enter the fray IC w/could be even more fun to watch than it already is.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:29 AM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

True, but discussing the paint.
Do you know who supplied BG paint for C6?
Landru.......... I did some "digging" into supplier manufacturing locations near the area of the BG plant, as that is how things are arranged in the manufacturing world.............. seems there is a Sherwin-Williams facility in the area, and yes they do provide automotive material...........

I am unable to access any information from who supplied GM the paint material during that time period though, so speculation at best
Landru (02-28-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Bowling Green Corvette plant paint supplier?

Old 02-28-2018, 09:55 AM
Landru
Race Director

Originally Posted by rkj427
I am unable to access any information from who supplied GM the paint material during that time period though, so speculation at best
Thanks again rk, you're the man.

Coming up empty trying to learn WTH supplied GB's paint is an old mystery. Many times over the years members have tried finding out and no one could find an answer, either.
Seems you/I & all others who tried are in good company.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:58 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Thanks again rk, you're the man.

Coming up empty trying to learn WTH supplied GB's paint is an old mystery. Many times over the years members have tried finding out and no one could find an answer, either.
Seems you/I & all others who tried are in good company.

had a Mystic Teal Metalic Trans Am with the flip paint a few years back that had some inclusions in the paint on 1 door from factory.dealer painted with paint that was different than factory and color was completely off even after I had told them to use factory paint.they had to strip door and buy 1 quart of BASF flip paint to get it to match.when that paint first came out BASF came to the dealers to do paint repairs and did their own clean up and took everything with them so that no one could examine left over residue of paint and copy formula.some one wanted that car badly enough that a Chrysler dealer paid me the same price I had paid for it 2 years earlier.had about 13,000 miles on it when I sold.anyone that has done BG tours can ask employee's who paint supplier is.they will know as paint comes in very large containers with makers name on it
Landru (03-01-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 08:09 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Some racecars, but I get the drift.

FWIW I 'rediscovered' Indycar when Chevy came back to fill my need for competitive motorsports.

JMHO, IF Ford were to re-enter the fray IC w/could be even more fun to watch than it already is.
as you could guess I am a big Indycar fan. And if you're a race fan, once you go to the Indy 500, no racing will ever be quite the same. It's just huge.

But the heck with Chevy and Ford, I say make'em race cars with race engines, Offys, Cossies, Drakes, Novis, Millers, Dussies.

I could care less about car companies. Purebred racers.

Quick Reply: Bowling Green Corvette plant paint supplier?