C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Flex fuel conversion requirements

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 09:34 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Flex fuel conversion requirements

I just traded my 2016 stingray for a 2016 Z06 and the first thing I want to do is a flexfuel conversion. Heard a lot about how much more power you can squeeze out of a boosted car running E85. I've been doing research and I'm coming across some info saying you need bigger injectors and a beefier fuel pump due to the fact that you have to use a lot more ethanol than gas to get the same efficiency. Having said that, I've also seen info where things like the DSX bolt on flexfuel conversion kit will allow the ECM to adjust as needed and makes it sound like no additional upgrades (aside from a tune) is required. I've looked around the forum (and the googles) and haven't found any definitive answers, especially as it applies to the C7 Z06, and am wondering if anyone has done the flexfuel conversion and if you had to do any other mods (aside from tune)? If not, how much extra power do you get with just a tune? I'm planning on adding a CAI and probably a lower pulley as well, but I'm more focused on what the flexfuel conversion can do and what it requires right now. Any info would be appreciated!
Old 02-22-2018, 10:06 AM
TOPSPOT
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Subscribed. I am wondering the same thing for just an E85 conversion. I am under the assumption that if you don't do secondary port injection, you will need a low side fuel pump, and a cam with 32%-38% fuel lobe, and you can run full E85 with stock injectors. Also under the assumption that you can run a Meth setup to get E85 as well?

Aftermarket injectors are mad expensive.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:21 AM
0Billy@MTI
Former Vendor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

You need a meth kit
Old 02-22-2018, 10:23 AM
TOPSPOT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Billy@MTI
You need a meth kit
What are the ways that you can do full e85 without Meth?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:24 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Billy@MTI
You need a meth kit
Can you elaborate on that a little? What entails a meth kit and what does it accomplish? Were you directing that at me, or TOPSPOT?
Old 02-22-2018, 11:30 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by TOPSPOT
What are the ways that you can do full e85 without Meth?
Billy really raised more questions than he answered, but according to the website, you don't need a meth kit to run full E85 (though E85 is only roughly 85% ethanol, so I'm not sure if you meant E85 or straight ethanol when you use the term "full") using the flexfuel conversion kit from DSX. It just doesn't tell you any of the stuff I asked in my original post. https://dsxtuning.com/collections/fl...7-corvette-z06

Last edited by Toddiesel; 02-22-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:48 AM
musclesbmf
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts

Let me try to help clear up some questions...
On the LS motors, adding larger injectors would take care of your fuel needs on a basic modded car. Obviously on high HP builds, larger fuel pump and better fuel system may be required. On the LT platform, injectors at this point really aren't an option cause I'm only aware of one upgrade that is very costly and only provides an additional 10% more fuel (I think). Also on the LT platform there are 2 fuel pumps. An in tank and one that is up under the intake that is driven by the camshaft (I'm sure many other people can share a lot more details than I can). Many guys replace the cam with one that has a larger fuel lobe and I think get about 38% more fuel. Again that is a costly upgrade but yo also get the benefit of more power from the cam. So how do guys get the additional fuel needed so they can run full E85? Methanol Injection. E85 burns 30% more fuel than gas. So in order to suply the extra fuel demands guys use meth injection. I think many guys have had success running between 30% and 50% E85 mixed with gas without using meth. All the small particulars come down to your tuner and how safe they make the tune as to not over tax the fuel system and potentially damage the motor.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Old 02-22-2018, 11:59 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by musclesbmf
Let me try to help clear up some questions...
On the LS motors, adding larger injectors would take care of your fuel needs on a basic modded car. Obviously on high HP builds, larger fuel pump and better fuel system may be required. On the LT platform, injectors at this point really aren't an option cause I'm only aware of one upgrade that is very costly and only provides an additional 10% more fuel (I think). Also on the LT platform there are 2 fuel pumps. An in tank and one that is up under the intake that is driven by the camshaft (I'm sure many other people can share a lot more details than I can). Many guys replace the cam with one that has a larger fuel lobe and I think get about 38% more fuel. Again that is a costly upgrade but yo also get the benefit of more power from the cam. So how do guys get the additional fuel needed so they can run full E85? Methanol Injection. E85 burns 30% more fuel than gas. So in order to suply the extra fuel demands guys use meth injection. I think many guys have had success running between 30% and 50% E85 mixed with gas without using meth. All the small particulars come down to your tuner and how safe they make the tune as to not over tax the fuel system and potentially damage the motor.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Thanks Mark! OK, so what I'm taking from your statement is that you DO need more than just the flexfuel kit. You either need larger injectors/beefier fuel pumps (which sounds like is not an option), a costly cam upgrade, or to include methanol in your fuel supply. Now, I'm not a chemist, but if I recall from basic chemistry class (and an episode of House MD with LL Cool J guest starring), I'm given to understand that methanol and ethanol neutralize each other. Is that correct? I'm still a little unclear as far as what the best way to make a flexfuel conversion work and still have no idea what kind of gains I'd be getting. It seems like a pretty complicated subject :-(

Last edited by Toddiesel; 02-22-2018 at 12:12 PM. Reason: added cam upgrade
Old 02-22-2018, 01:47 PM
TOPSPOT
Instructor

So I get what he is saying and that is basically the assumptions I have had all along. The fuel pump upgrades are definitely possible. Supposedly with the low side, it is permanent? But to get full E85, you have to supplement the additional fuel required so that you don't over tax the fuel system as stated.

The DSX Flex Fuel will not allow you to run full E85 by itself.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:08 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by TOPSPOT
The DSX Flex Fuel will not allow you to run full E85 by itself.
Not trying to be difficult, and maybe they're lying, but straight from the site:
"Use these kits to add the ability to run anywhere from straight gasoline to straight ethanol as well as reveal the true power potential of your setup."

Straight ethanol would be E100, so according to that, you should be able to run E85 no problem. This is part of the confusion for me. Seems to be a lot of opposing ideas out there. I don't know if it exists, but I'm looking for a concrete, clearly defined guideline on what you need to run on E85 (not pure ethanol as I will always get my fuel from a filling station).

For example (and I'm straight making this up just for demonstration):

In order to take full advantage of E85, in addition to a flexfuel kit, you will need XYZ cam, Hp tuners tune, and ABC methanol kit which includes DEF parts, in order to be able to get in the area of XX hp on YY lbs of boost.

From what I can tell, you can run on E85 with the flexfuel conversion alone, but it won't do anything as far as performance gains without a minimum of a tune, but I'm trying to find out what additionally is needed to see real gains and what combinations there are. Maybe I can get ~40hp on just the kit and a tune, but I can get ~75hp on the kit, a tune, and a cam and maybe ~150hp on the kit, a tune, a cam, and a meth kit. I have no better understanding now than when I first posed the question (well, maybe SLIGHTLY better after Mark's response, but I'm still foggy).
Old 02-22-2018, 02:56 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Not trying to be difficult, and maybe they're lying, but straight from the site:
"Use these kits to add the ability to run anywhere from straight gasoline to straight ethanol as well as reveal the true power potential of your setup."

Straight ethanol would be E100, so according to that, you should be able to run E85 no problem. This is part of the confusion for me. Seems to be a lot of opposing ideas out there. I don't know if it exists, but I'm looking for a concrete, clearly defined guideline on what you need to run on E85 (not pure ethanol as I will always get my fuel from a filling station).

For example (and I'm straight making this up just for demonstration):

In order to take full advantage of E85, in addition to a flexfuel kit, you will need XYZ cam, Hp tuners tune, and ABC methanol kit which includes DEF parts, in order to be able to get in the area of XX hp on YY lbs of boost.

From what I can tell, you can run on E85 with the flexfuel conversion alone, but it won't do anything as far as performance gains without a minimum of a tune, but I'm trying to find out what additionally is needed to see real gains and what combinations there are. Maybe I can get ~40hp on just the kit and a tune, but I can get ~75hp on the kit, a tune, and a cam and maybe ~150hp on the kit, a tune, a cam, and a meth kit. I have no better understanding now than when I first posed the question (well, maybe SLIGHTLY better after Mark's response, but I'm still foggy).
this is all information that is posted but I will summarize.

a flex fuel sensor (kit) allows a non-flex fuel enabled vehicle to sense and take advantage of ethanol with a proper tune. this is completely separate from having a robust enough fuel system to keep from running out of capacity to support the level of airflow going through the engine.

on a stock Z06 the fuel system will support E85. the more you modify/increase airflow levels the less ethanol you will be able to run in the mixture. by the time you have pullies and intakes and headers, etc you will only be able to run E30-E40 before your fuel system taps out and you need to upgrade it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Higgs Boson:
Scottlp (11-06-2022), SRTZ06$ (08-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2018, 03:06 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
this is all information that is posted but I will summarize.

a flex fuel sensor (kit) allows a non-flex fuel enabled vehicle to sense and take advantage of ethanol with a proper tune. this is completely separate from having a robust enough fuel system to keep from running out of capacity to support the level of airflow going through the engine.

on a stock Z06 the fuel system will support E85. the more you modify/increase airflow levels the less ethanol you will be able to run in the mixture. by the time you have pullies and intakes and headers, etc you will only be able to run E30-E40 before your fuel system taps out and you need to upgrade it.
Ok, that's far more helpful! HB you're always on point with your posts! So let's say all I do is the flexfuel and a tune. Would I be fine with E85? If so, ROUGHLY (not holding any feet to the fire) what kind of gains are we looking at? Bonus question, if I'd still be fine with that setup, could I get away with a CAI?
Old 02-22-2018, 03:42 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Ok, that's far more helpful! HB you're always on point with your posts! So let's say all I do is the flexfuel and a tune. Would I be fine with E85? If so, ROUGHLY (not holding any feet to the fire) what kind of gains are we looking at? Bonus question, if I'd still be fine with that setup, could I get away with a CAI?
you're better off doing an intake, flex sensor, tune and running E40.

E40 will give you 95% of the gains of E85 and not push your fuel system to its limits.

i never quote hp gains for mods though.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:06 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

you're better off doing an intake, flex sensor, tune and running E40.

E40 will give you 95% of the gains of E85 and not push your fuel system to its limits.

i never quote hp gains for mods though.
Fair enough. Only problem is I have no idea where to get E40 (unless i buy a CD from the early 90s! ). But seriously, do I just try to do half a tank of E85 and half a tank of gasoline?
The following 2 users liked this post by Toddiesel:
Baby_Matrix (09-14-2021), Fredforce (09-01-2019)
Old 02-22-2018, 04:23 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Fair enough. Only problem is I have no idea where to get E40 (unless i buy a CD from the early 90s! ). But seriously, do I just try to do half a tank of E85 and half a tank of gasoline?
basically. it doesn't have to be exact. the flex fuel sensor and tune will take care of the calculations needed for anything from E0 to E100 but the tune is typically set up for E10 to E85. So if you get E30 or E50 it will be fine. Then you run it low and fill up on E10 for the week and it adjusts fuel and spark automatically.
The following users liked this post:
Harbgrogan (01-10-2020)
Old 02-22-2018, 04:31 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

basically. it doesn't have to be exact. the flex fuel sensor and tune will take care of the calculations needed for anything from E0 to E100 but the tune is typically set up for E10 to E85. So if you get E30 or E50 it will be fine. Then you run it low and fill up on E10 for the week and it adjusts fuel and spark automatically.
Well that works for me. I'm getting it dynoed in the morning for a baseline, so I'll go ahead and order a flexfuel hit and CAI and then do a dyno tune and post the results so people know the difference.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:19 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

But could you do this on a spare ECU and swap back to stock? asking for a friend that wants to keep his powertrain warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To Flex fuel conversion requirements

Old 02-22-2018, 06:37 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
But could you do this on a spare ECU and swap back to stock? asking for a friend that wants to keep his powertrain warranty.
You can just save a stock tune and flash back to the stock tune before you take it to the dealership. I did that on my mustang.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:01 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

You can just save a stock tune and flash back to the stock tune before you take it to the dealership. I did that on my mustang.
No, you can't. The C7 ECM keeps a record of every time a change or flash is made.

Higgs, when you put some gasoline in, and then some E-85 (or the reverse order), how long does it take the two to mix evenly? Presumably, whatever goes in first will go into the driver side tank (where the engine supply fuel pump is) until that side is full, and then the rest goes into the passenger side tank. The "jet pump" in the passenger side tank, which is always pushing fuel to the driver side tank will eventually mix the two pretty evenly, but how long does this take, and might the proportions be pretty far off right after a fillup?

Last edited by Warp Factor; 02-22-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:17 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
No, you can't. The C7 ECM keeps a record of every time a change or flash is made.
Seriously??? Wow that sucks!!

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Presumably, whatever goes in first will go into the driver side tank (where the engine supply fuel pump is) until that side is full, and then the rest goes into the passenger side tank. The "jet pump" in the passenger side tank, which is always pushing fuel to the driver side tank will eventually mix the two pretty evenly, but how long does this take, and might the proportions be pretty far off right after a fillup?

Wait... are you saying there are 2 fuel tanks? Are we driving big rigs here?? Naw, but seriously, that's a thing??? How does that even work?

Quick Reply: Flex fuel conversion requirements