Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Best Ported Heads For Stage 1.5 Cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 10:49 AM
I brake for nothing
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Best Ported Heads For Stage 1.5 Cam

Looking for feedback on selecting the best heads for the ZR1 to work with a smaller cam like a BTR 1.5.

I was going to send my stock heads to WCCH but I am thinking of spending more on a set of good aftermarket heads as they seem to produce about 30 more HP on the CTSV's.

Any suggestions ? Anyone using Frankeinstein ? Thats the way I am leaning. Budget is no more than 5K.

Mast
Frankenstein
Mamo
WCCH AllPro

Last edited by I brake for nothing; 02-22-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:20 PM
Bigjsn250
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by I brake for nothing
Looking for feedback on selecting the best heads for the ZR1 to work with a smaller cam like a BTR 1.5.

I was going to send my stock heads to WCCH but I am thinking of spending more on a set of good aftermarket heads as they seem to produce about 30 more HP on the CTSV's.

Any suggestions ? Anyone using Frankeinstein ? Thats the way I am leaning. Budget is no more than 5K.

Mast
Frankenstein
Mamo
WCCH AllPro

There's a bunch of good reading on the site regarding this, but from what I read you will see little benefit over just getting your current heads ported by going with aftermarket. FBO and small cam or even FBO and larger cam, the expensive aftermarket heads just do not show enough gain over the ported stock heads. The conclusion I came to was only the real high hp cars benefited from the higher dollar heads i.e MAST black label etc.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:35 PM
I brake for nothing
Burning Brakes

After seeing on the big numbers from head swaps on the LSA boards Im all in. I just need to pick the setup. Those boys are making big power from ported TFS and Mast castings over the ported stock LS3 heads and these are not max effort builds with huge cams at all.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:39 PM
Navy Blue 210
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 145 Posts

I would use Mamo Motorsports (MMS) LS3 Heads.
Either AFR about 3-4 Lbs heavier VS TFS, or the TFS.
On the CTSV Owners forum ported stockers make
25-30 HP more depending on boost & cam size.
The MMS LS3s (TFS, before the AFRs came out)
Produced 50+ again depending on boost & cam size.
Area under the curve, throttle response and
Driveability are all improved by more flow through
all lift points despite smaller Ports and better E/I ratios.
The following users liked this post:
I brake for nothing (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 03:20 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 904 Likes on 370 Posts

After seeing on the big numbers from head swaps on the LSA boards Im all in. I just need to pick the setup. Those boys are making big power from ported TFS and Mast castings over the ported stock LS3 heads and these are not max effort builds with huge cams at all.
Ive helped a bunch of guys on the CTSV Owners forums and others with LSA builds that have made big power with my MMS 260 LS3 heads and quite a few ZR1 builds as well making in the 900 RWHP range with more aggressive builds on flex fuel.

Matt Gower of GP Tuning (LT1Z on the board) has also handled alot of both types of builds (LSA Cadillac and ZR1 Vette) with my ported LS3 heads and always produces big numbers in both platforms even with conservative cam timing. When the budget is there for his customer to roll with aftermarket heads Matt almost always chooses my cylinder heads. If you happen to reside in Northern CA (Bay Area) or even reasonably close, I would certainly entrust him to handle the tune. He has worked on ALOT of ZR1's and would be a natural choice here for tuner if you happen to live in that part of the country

I now offer my MMS 260 program in both castings (TFS and AFR) but would probably recommend the AFR version for boosted applications. Honestly an out of the box head simply can't compare.

They are fully CNC ported and hand finished....include lightweight hollow stem intake valves....PAC springs....Titanium retainers and milled to your specifications. The quality and execution is 2nd to none and it comes in well under your 5K budget (slightly under 4K in fact) fully loaded.

Couple of pics below....feel free to PM or email me and we can discuss this in greater detail

Cheers,
Tony

PS.....Feel free to ring my cell phone as well. If I dont pick up leave your name and number and I will return the call 661-714-1317

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 02-23-2018 at 03:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:06 PM
I brake for nothing
Burning Brakes

Im curious about the switch from the TFS head to the AFR head in your program . Why and to what benefit the AFR has over the TFS ?
Old 02-23-2018, 03:13 PM
Navy Blue 210
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 145 Posts

Im curious about the switch from the TFS head to the AFR head in your program . Why and to what benefit the AFR has over the TFS ?
Tony uses both AFR & TFS LS3 Head Castings, the AFR are a little heavier
which if the weight is in the deck is beneficial in Very High Boost
Applications, The TFS for NA or Weight conscious applications,
by the time both have been MAMOFIED there is very little difference
in flow or performance.

I used The MMS (TFS) LS3 Heads in my NA 396"
made 690 at the flywheel with 11.7:1 compression
and a mild 243*/249* LLSR (~237*/243* for HR
equivalent). Extremely pleased with their performance,
You would be also.
The following users liked this post:
I brake for nothing (02-23-2018)