Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Belt and edelbrock heat exchanger help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 05:23 PM
instg8er
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Belt and edelbrock heat exchanger help ASAP

So I picked up a edelbrock heat exchanger for the ZR1. I have search and tried to call for help but can’t get any. Does anyone know if it will fit in the stock location and how to mount it? Noting lines up and don’t know if I have to start cutting and drilling?

Also I am running a 2.6 upper and 14% lower. LPE is crap on having belts in stock and didn’t know if there is a combo to run the stock belt or a part number for a belt not that hard to get?

Any help will be appreciated. Have a dyno time on Monday and time is running out.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:34 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I can comment on the HX. You will have to custom mount it which isn't difficult to do as long as you are "handy". I did it blind and there's many different ways you can do it. You will need a few different hoses (I made MANY trips to the local auto store until I got it right) and I was also routing the IC bricks to a Kong front-mounted tank.

I did get a dremel myself to make the cuts in the plastic shroud easy and clean but you can use whatever you feel will work as the plastic isn't too thick. If I where to give any additional advice, you want to make sure that the HX does NOT touch the condenser. It will eventually rub a hole in either piece (its happened to someone). The easy fix is to grab some pieces of rubber or weatherstrip and put it between the HX and the top of the condenser or radiator. Or, you can make a legit custom mounting solution and maybe keep it away all together.
The following users liked this post:
instg8er (02-22-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 07:34 AM
blaSSt
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I also have the edelbrock HX mounted in the stock location and I also made brackets and cut the shroud as needed. Mine is connected to the Prospeed rear mount tank.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:47 AM
99Z51R
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor '04

subscribed, I have the same two questions...Any pics. on the HX would be helpful, same question on the belt, just bought a new RPM belt in stock length before getting the 14% lower, hoping an idler pulley combo would work for stock belt and 2.6+14%
TIA
Old 02-23-2018, 11:59 AM
instg8er
Racer

We put the HX in last night. wasn't bad at all. used some M6 x1.0 bolts and washers. drilled in the plastic shroud to hold. the belt i order from summit its a LPE belt. going to knock it off tonight and start dyno next week
Old 02-23-2018, 12:59 PM
I brake for nothing
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a quick question since you guys are all working in this area.

Do you guys also have one Idler pulley below the snout that is thinner than the rest ? I have one on my 2012 ZR1 that is thinner than all of the other pullies and seems like it does not belong. I think its stock. I would like to replace with a full width version.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:42 PM
AHP
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by instg8er
We put the HX in last night. wasn't bad at all. used some M6 x1.0 bolts and washers. drilled in the plastic shroud to hold. the belt i order from summit its a LPE belt. going to knock it off tonight and start dyno next week

Do you happen to have any pics of the HX mounting and/or can you give a little more detail? Other than a run to the hardware store for some fasteners and a little drilling it sounds like it was an otherwise straightforward process? I'm more than capable, just pondering if I should do this in my garage, or take it to my buddy's shop and do it there, in case there's any fabrication needed to make mounts, etc.. I haven't ordered the HX yet since I just discovered this option through my research.

Do you have any pre/post IAT2 to report on?

Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
instg8er (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 07:29 PM
instg8er
Racer

Did it in the garage on jack stands. However if you have a lift it will help. We drilled holes in the top and side and used the plastic shroud for the support. Cut a hole in the top passenger side for the inlet and bottom for the out let. I have had a oil pump failed and getting it replaced now. So not drove it much yet. I’m typing this on my phone so it’s tough to say it all. Send me a PM with your number I can send some pic tomorrow and answer any questions. Be glad to help.

Originally Posted by AHP
Do you happen to have any pics of the HX mounting and/or can you give a little more detail? Other than a run to the hardware store for some fasteners and a little drilling it sounds like it was an otherwise straightforward process? I'm more than capable, just pondering if I should do this in my garage, or take it to my buddy's shop and do it there, in case there's any fabrication needed to make mounts, etc.. I haven't ordered the HX yet since I just discovered this option through my research.

Do you have any pre/post IAT2 to report on?

Thanks in advance!

Get notified of new replies

To Belt and edelbrock heat exchanger help ASAP

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Belt and edelbrock heat exchanger help ASAP