C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Play in steering box

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 07:59 PM
Bigdade
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Play in steering box

Has anyone attempted to adjust the slack in there box while in the car.Any recommendations on how to go about it would be helpful.Its a 1980
Old 02-22-2018, 11:38 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...verhaulpdf.pdf
Old 02-23-2018, 08:44 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

If you have lost motion in the box there is only one on the car adjustment you can try, the lash adjustment. There are 2 external adjustments- bearing preload and lash. Forget about the preload, it most likely is gone now and you are not going to get it set correctly on the car.

The lash is the position of the sector teeth to worm teeth on center. It is important that you make the adjustment on center not off. With it on center loosen the nut on the center screw and turn the screw CW until you feel it snug up. Stop and lock the nut there. Test drive and see.

NOTE : For many years here, information on adjusting the box was to tighten it up on center and back off 1/4 turn. This is misinformation, backing it off defeats what you are trying to do. Now going beyond snug to tight will overload the center tooth on the sector and in time you will have loose center again and worn out gears. If the box is loose and there are no threads showing above the jam nut you may be wasting your time since they are worn out most likely. The best way to adjust the box is to remove it and if it's untouched it needs more then a lash adjustment.
The following 2 users liked this post by GTR1999:
Peterbuilt (02-25-2018), ZRXGreen (02-26-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 03:57 PM
Bigdade
Heel & Toe

Thank you I’m gonna give it a go.I have threads showing so I might be good to go after I do it
Old 02-24-2018, 06:21 PM
Bigdade
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by GTR1999
If you have lost motion in the box there is only one on the car adjustment you can try, the lash adjustment. There are 2 external adjustments- bearing preload and lash. Forget about the preload, it most likely is gone now and you are not going to get it set correctly on the car.

The lash is the position of the sector teeth to worm teeth on center. It is important that you make the adjustment on center not off. With it on center loosen the nut on the center screw and turn the screw CW until you feel it snug up. Stop and lock the nut there. Test drive and see.

NOTE : For many years here, information on adjusting the box was to tighten it up on center and back off 1/4 turn. This is misinformation, backing it off defeats what you are trying to do. Now going beyond snug to tight will overload the center tooth on the sector and in time you will have loose center again and worn out gears. If the box is loose and there are no threads showing above the jam nut you may be wasting your time since they are worn out most likely. The best way to adjust the box is to remove it and if it's untouched it needs more then a lash adjustment.
Well I did what you said and I gotta say the difference is unbelievable.Thanks again.👍👍
Old 02-25-2018, 08:27 AM
2mnyvets
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Gary, can you explain why it is important to hold the the clearance on the lash adjuster to .002" internally? I did this when I refreshed mine, but I don't see what it limits.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2018, 12:17 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Bigdade
Well I did what you said and I gotta say the difference is unbelievable.Thanks again.👍👍
good job, did you do the on the car adjustment or take the box off?
Old 02-25-2018, 12:20 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 2mnyvets
Gary, can you explain why it is important to hold the the clearance on the lash adjuster to .002" internally? I did this when I refreshed mine, but I don't see what it limits.

Thanks
Think about what it is doing- limiting the travel of the sector shaft. The teeth are tapered tooth, an upward force could create play, the shim helps to keep the play in vertical plane of the sector tight.
The following users liked this post:
2mnyvets (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 05:39 PM
Bigdade
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by GTR1999
good job, did you do the on the car adjustment or take the box off?
I did it in the car just the top adjustment world of difference

Get notified of new replies

To Play in steering box

Quick Reply: Play in steering box