C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft/Torque tube/Rear end issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 08:12 PM
Corvette08ls3
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft/Torque tube/Rear end issues

Alright I've been wondering about this for some time now and I need professional advice and help in the right direction if anyone has ever gone through this. My vette is a 2008 auto with 23k miles and for about a month I've been feeling an odd pulse/vibration on the gas pedal whenever I'm accelerating from 0 to 50 mph. I have long tubes and an x pipe but I know that's not the reason I feel the vibration on the gas pedal because whenever I installed the headers and x pipe I never had that issue until now and that is why I'm certain its either going to be an issue with the driveshaft or torque tube or maybe rear end. I do push my car a bit hard every now and then so maybe that would have to do with that? Another thing I would like to add is that whenever I drive it and come back home as I drive up my driveway and I leave it in D while holding the brakes, I also hear a grinding like sound coming from the rear and when I put it back on park the sound would go away. Well I hope I don't sound crazy but if someone on here can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:53 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Can't help you but it may be drivetrain related. I do know of a fellow named Victor Sellens (you may have seen/heard his name as he used to be at Corvettes of Houston and 510 Engineering). He's got his own shop now called VZ Autoworks. Maybe give them a shout and ask?
The following 2 users liked this post by AORoads:
BLUEMEANIE (02-24-2018), Corvette08ls3 (02-24-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 07:14 AM
Srkegler
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Your statement about the grinding when pulling into the drive way and putting it in park sounds like a brake problem to me.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:49 PM
Corvette08ls3
Cruising

Originally Posted by Srkegler
Your statement about the grinding when pulling into the drive way and putting it in park sounds like a brake problem to me.
It's not the brakes I replaced them 3 weeks ago. And I think it might be something else because today as I was pulling up my driveway and I heard it again so I revved it a bit to see if I can hear it better and sure enough it's definitely coming from the rear end. I hope it's just the mufflers going bad since I still have the stock ones and I don't know if they go bad early on if equipped with long tubes and a bigger x pipe.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:56 PM
Corvette08ls3
Cruising

Originally Posted by AORoads
Can't help you but it may be drivetrain related. I do know of a fellow named Victor Sellens (you may have seen/heard his name as he used to be at Corvettes of Houston and 510 Engineering). He's got his own shop now called VZ Autoworks. Maybe give them a shout and ask?
Thank you I will seek them out. Earlier today I heard the noise again and I'm starting to think it might just be the mufflers going bad since mine are still the factory mufflers. I revved it and I heard the noise coming from the rear end and it does sound like a weird rattle whenever the rev goes up and down again. I guess having long tubes and a bigger x pipe wears out the factory mufflers a lot?

Get notified of new replies

To Driveshaft/Torque tube/Rear end issues

Quick Reply: Driveshaft/Torque tube/Rear end issues