C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Cluster Bench Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:36 AM
SoCalErv
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Army

Default Cluster Bench Test

I am in the process of testing the cluster before it is reinstalled. I have it powered. All lights except the following are illuminated.

Turn signal lights left/right
Hi Beam
Parking Brake
Lights

According to the paper all lights should be on: Picture below.

Also what is this brown wire for? Have the others sorted out.

Need advice.

Last edited by SoCalErv; 02-23-2018 at 09:56 AM. Reason: More information
Old 02-23-2018, 10:40 AM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Brown wire is to the radio capacitor-----should be mounted on back of cluster

Left and right turn-----on the connector to the turn signal switch, two connectors will have two wires. One pair LBL (light blue) and the other DBL (dark blue). Touch 12 volts to those.

Hi Beam-----on the dimmer switch connector, look for a LG (light green) wire. Touch 12 volts to it.

Parking Brake----look for the connector going to the parking brake switch. Touch a ground to that.

Lights. On one of the bulkhead connectors there will be a GY/DBL/B (grey, dark blue, black?) wire going to one of those terminals. Touch a ground to that. If you can't find it use a straight pin to give a ground to that wire at the Lights socket.

When using the "Touch" wire always put a couple amp fuse in series with it----in case you touch the wrong wire.

BTW these colors are for a '66----

Last edited by 426 Hemi; 02-23-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:32 AM
SoCalErv
Burning Brakes

Army

Originally Posted by 426 Hemi
Brown wire is to the radio capacitor-----should be mounted on back of cluster

Left and right turn-----on the connector to the turn signal switch, two connectors will have two wires. One pair LBL (light blue) and the other DBL (dark blue). Touch 12 volts to those. Ok, These work for me

Hi Beam-----on the dimmer switch connector, look for a LG (light green) wire. Touch 12 volts to it. Ok, This worked

Parking Brake----look for the connector going to the parking brake switch. Touch a ground to that. Only works if I turn the ignition all the way to the right "start position"

Lights. On one of the bulkhead connectors there will be a GY/DBL/B (grey, dark blue, black?) wire going to one of those terminals. Touch a ground to that. If you can't find it use a straight pin to give a ground to that wire at the Lights socket. Found the pin and put ground to it no light

When using the "Touch" wire always put a couple amp fuse in series with it----in case you touch the wrong wire.

BTW these colors are for a '66----
May have an issue with my ignition. When you turn the key to the run mode with the lights on the dash goes dark.

Is this the correct orientation for the bucket switch?

Last edited by SoCalErv; 02-23-2018 at 12:13 PM. Reason: edit
Old 02-23-2018, 01:10 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Did you try running a ground to the cluster?
Old 02-23-2018, 01:29 PM
SoCalErv
Burning Brakes

Army

Did you try running a ground to the cluster?
I have a ground from the battery to the cluster that a jumper from the ground to the pin and no light. Checked the light out of the socket and it is good.

According to the test paper if you hook the power to the BAT terminal all lights are to be on, nit my case. If I hook the hot to the ACC dash lights come on.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:47 PM
SoCalErv
Burning Brakes

Army

Originally Posted by SoCalErv
I have a ground from the battery to the cluster that a jumper from the ground to the pin and no light. Checked the light out of the socket and it is good.

According to the test paper if you hook the power to the BAT terminal all lights are to be on, nit my case. If I hook the hot to the ACC dash lights come on.
Here is the great paper I am comparing my bench test to. I am not getting the same results.

New wiring harness from M&H, cluster rebuilt from Corvette Specialties of Maryland.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:26 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Probably something got left out (like: "except for brake light, etc") or the wrong picture was used.

Makes me think so even more because they give specific instructions on how to make the signal lights turn on (pg 13), dimmer light turn on (pg 15), brake light (pg19) and lights indicator (pg 8).

Last edited by 426 Hemi; 02-24-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:33 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Lights. On one of the bulkhead connectors there will be a GY/DBL/B (grey, dark blue, black?) wire going to one of those terminals. Touch a ground to that. If you can't find it use a straight pin to give a ground to that wire at the Lights socket. Found the pin and put ground to it no light
Did you turn on the headlight switch?

Last edited by 426 Hemi; 02-24-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:44 PM
SoCalErv
Burning Brakes

Army

Did you turn on the headlight switch?

Tried with the lights on and off. Tried with the ignition switch off and in the run position.

Could only get the brake light to come on when I turned the ignition to the start (far right) when I released it to the run position the light went off.

This is why I wonder if I have a problem with the ignition switch.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:46 PM
SoCalErv
Burning Brakes

Army

Probably something got left out (like: "except for brake light, etc") or the wrong picture was used.

Makes me think so even more because they give specific instructions on how to make the signal lights turn on (pg 13), dimmer light turn on (pg 15), brake light (pg19) and lights indicator (pg 8).

Are you saying that the picture could be wrong that all the lights will not illuminate with the basic test of Grd and positive to the BAT in the fuse panel?
Old 02-24-2018, 10:30 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Are you saying that the picture could be wrong that all the lights will not illuminate with the basic test of Grd and positive to the BAT in the fuse panel?
Correct. Take for example the turn signal lights. The bulb is grounded at the cluster. The other end of the bulb's filament is connected to a wire that goes to the turn signal switch connector. If no switch is installed it all ends there. No way for the bulb to come on, i.e. get power to light. Now if the TS switch and flasher were installed, pushed to either turn position and ignition switch turned on the bulb would flash. But only one bulb, not both-----and not both constantly.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:44 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

This is why I wonder if I have a problem with the ignition switch.
Might be worth it to pickup a cheapie for the test. Nice to have for a spare anyhow.

Edit: In the ON position are you getting 12v to the gauges?

Last edited by 426 Hemi; 02-24-2018 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:20 PM
SoCalErv
Burning Brakes

Army

May have an issue with my ignition. When you turn the key to the run mode with the lights on the dash goes dark.

Is this the correct orientation for the bucket switch?

Found the problem. Removed the BA9S-CWHPS LED and replaced with Chineese 257 bulb and whamo it works. Now dealing with the Brake light.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:20 PM
SoCalErv
Burning Brakes

Army

Correct. Take for example the turn signal lights. The bulb is grounded at the cluster. The other end of the bulb's filament is connected to a wire that goes to the turn signal switch connector. If no switch is installed it all ends there. No way for the bulb to come on, i.e. get power to light. Now if the TS switch and flasher were installed, pushed to either turn position and ignition switch turned on the bulb would flash. But only one bulb, not both-----and not both constantly.
You are absolutely right concerning this issue.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:51 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 735 Likes on 455 Posts

Erv,

Working on a clarification of that page with help from Tim Welsh and Rich Mozzetta.

Will post up the clarification when I hear back from them regarding the edits I have made to page three.

Dave Z
Old 02-25-2018, 10:13 PM
SoCalErv
Burning Brakes

Army

Originally Posted by DZVette
Erv,

Working on a clarification of that page with help from Tim Welsh and Rich Mozzetta.

Will post up the clarification when I hear back from them regarding the edits I have made to page three.

Dave Z
Great. That paper is worth it's weight in gold, Fantastic Job!

Richard Mozzetta helped me resolve my wiring issue earlier this night.

Thanks to all.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:19 AM
58n65
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 67 Posts

When following the write-up I came to this exact conclusion. It had me worried at first, before I thought about the turn signal switch not being wired in.

My problem now is, when I check headlight (telltale) bulb (pg 8) the "LIGHTS" indicator on the console blinks on and off....at a slow pace. Not sure if this is correct or my switch is bad.

Thanks,
Dex.

Get notified of new replies

To Cluster Bench Test

Old 03-01-2018, 09:55 AM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 58n65
When following the write-up I came to this exact conclusion. It had me worried at first, before I thought about the turn signal switch not being wired in.

My problem now is, when I check headlight (telltale) bulb (pg 8) the "LIGHTS" indicator on the console blinks on and off....at a slow pace. Not sure if this is correct or my switch is bad.

Thanks,
Dex.
Check out your bulb----sounds like there is a 257 flashing bulb in there.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:37 PM
58n65
Burning Brakes

Geez, I didn't think of that. Will check ASAP!!!

Thanks,
Dex.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:30 PM
58n65
Burning Brakes

Hemi,

There's a 257 bulb in the socket, but isn't that correct?

Thanks,
Dex

Quick Reply: [C2] Cluster Bench Test