C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My 59 won't turn on after put back cluster

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 04:33 PM
kdnguyen
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My 59 won't turn on after put back cluster

All,

I took out my 59 cluster to have the speedometer repaired. Now I put it back in but the car won't turn on. The battery is 100% and the headlight is working. But when tried to turn on the key, even the fuel gauge don't want to work. Someone mentioned to make sure I have good grounding for my cluster. I bolted down the 5 bolts of cluster back into frame. What other grounding do I need to look for? I labeled all my wires and make sure they put back in place. 5 wires connecting to the ignition switch is there. What other grounding wire(s) I need to look for? Car was running before I took out the cluster. Car has new starter.

Is it possible that I can turn the ignition tumbler without the key all the way to the right? is this mean I have a bad tumbler or ignition switch?

Thank you in advance for ideas.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:58 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by kdnguyen
All,

I took out my 59 cluster to have the speedometer repaired. Now I put it back in but the car won't turn on. The battery is 100% and the headlight is working. But when tried to turn on the key, even the fuel gauge don't want to work. Someone mentioned to make sure I have good grounding for my cluster. I bolted down the 5 bolts of cluster back into frame. What other grounding do I need to look for? I labeled all my wires and make sure they put back in place. 5 wires connecting to the ignition switch is there. What other grounding wire(s) I need to look for? Car was running before I took out the cluster. Car has new starter.

Is it possible that I can turn the ignition tumbler without the key all the way to the right? is this mean I have a bad tumbler or ignition switch?

The bolts aren't enough -- here are the cluster grounds, sorry its hard to see but that's how the documentation is... Note the red arrows..
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-23-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:09 PM
LowKat
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I'd guess loose connection if starting wasn't a problem before. Was the new starter added at the same time as the cluster R&R? I'd start with a test light at the fuse panel then onto the ignition switch.

In case you need one, member popawana offers high quality PDF wiring diagrams for free.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-diagrams.html
Old 02-24-2018, 06:39 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by kdnguyen
All,

Do what Frankie says. You didn't get the grounds hooked up. The bracket that holds the cluster is not grounded. If you want to check, connect a ground with an aligator clip to your key while it's in the ignition switch.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:29 PM
kdnguyen
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you all. It was the ground wire.

Get notified of new replies

To My 59 won't turn on after put back cluster

Quick Reply: My 59 won't turn on after put back cluster