Sponsored by:

My ride is down...bent valve ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 04:41 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 503 Likes on 347 Posts

Default My ride is down...bent valve ??

Car went into limp mode on the way home, thew stabilitrac message and transmission was acting like Tourque Conv was screwed up....yeah I had the ol’ TC replacement done about 2 months and 3k ago. Dealer called me today to let me know it is more involved , possible broken valve....ugh.
I hate giving her up to a dealer, regardless of how good they are (Stingray in PC Fl.)
Was driving along....energetically....and lost throttle response, for a moment thought I could punch thru and limp to dealer 12miles away...the way the rear ended felt was as if I was rolling over bumps in middle of the road, classic TC symptoms, but engine would barely hold an idle and was running rich as hell (lots of white smoke , strong oder of gas) so ...we shall see....anyone have a similar experience ??

Update 3/1...dealer determined it was a trashed lifter...replacing all of the lifters and cam..get the car back next week ...ugh

Last edited by bbrown450; 03-01-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:05 PM
CADbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 356 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrown450
Car went into limp mode on the way home, thew stabilitrac message and transmission was acting like Tourque Conv was screwed up....yeah I had the ol’ TC replacement done about 2 months and 3k ago. Dealer called me today to let me know it is more involved , possible broken valve....ugh.
I hate giving her up to a dealer, regardless of how good they are (Stingray in PC Fl.)
Was driving along....energetically....and lost throttle response, for a moment thought I could punch thru and limp to dealer 12miles away...the way the rear ended felt was as if I was rolling over bumps in middle of the road, classic TC symptoms, but engine would barely hold an idle and was running rich as hell (lots of white smoke , strong oder of gas) so ...we shall see....anyone have a similar experience ??
What year/model do you have?
Old 02-23-2018, 06:07 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The old saying is that black smoke means rich mixture, white smoke means coolant.
Strong odor of gas suggests rich mixture or fuel leak.

Best of luck to you.
Still under powertrain warranty?
Old 02-23-2018, 06:27 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Bent or Broken Valve..You could be getting a new engine.You kept driving it.If bent i would demand a new ASSEMBLED Head.Banging out a bent valve will damage the valve guide.That is a pressed in insert the valve rides in.A valve guide has to be perfectly centered with the valve seat.New Head assembled factory would be my minimum.Could be jumping ahead here but just throwing some info. in.
If it stayed in the head you might luck out. If the valve broke and they wanna fix it?
I would be inspecting that cylinder bore and piston before the head goes back on..Take pictures we wanna see..Good luck..Keep us informed..Thanks

Last edited by DALE#3; 02-23-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:10 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CADbrian
What year/model do you have?
2016 z51...bone stock
Old 02-23-2018, 08:10 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
The old saying is that black smoke means rich mixture, white smoke means coolant.
Strong odor of gas suggests rich mixture or fuel leak.

Best of luck to you.
Still under powertrain warranty?
Yep ...plenty of that warrenty left
Old 02-23-2018, 08:13 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Thanks not sure they will allow me access to inspect cylinders ect ... I travel way too much ...gonna have to “trust” them to do what is right , just sucks

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Bent or Broken Valve..You could be getting a new engine.You kept driving it.If bent i would demand a new ASSEMBLED Head.Banging out a bent valve will damage the valve guide.That is a pressed in insert the valve rides in.A valve guide has to be perfectly centered with the valve seat.New Head assembled factory would be my minimum.Could be jumping ahead here but just throwing some info. in.
If it stayed in the head you might luck out. If the valve broke and they wanna fix it?
I would be inspecting that cylinder bore and piston before the head goes back on..Take pictures we wanna see..Good luck..Keep us informed..Thanks
Old 02-23-2018, 08:16 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

As far as “driving it” ...only far enough to get off the road, they (dealer)actually called me back and asked if I think it will make it and I declined given what I was feeling the car’s performance would not get me any where...
Old 02-23-2018, 08:58 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Everything I've read about that dealer, you're in good hands. It'll turn out ok. Glad the car didn't do worse (not sure what that would be ) Good luck.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:48 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

As far as “driving it” ...only far enough to get off the road, they (dealer)actually called me back and asked if I think it will make it and I declined given what I was feeling the car’s performance would not get me any where...
Smart moveValves just don't bend.Unless they have help.Read here about broken valve springs.Springs will break if defective or over revved.When they break all kinds of destruction can and eventually will,if driven be very catastrophic.
To bad you can't check on the process.I would demand a photo of that troubled cylinder when the valve cover comes immediately off.I would want to see if the valve keepers and spring retainer are still intact.If are that will save searching for shards of metal in the oil.Oil goes to soft bearings.Not good.A good photo would be when rocker arms are removed.How low the bent valve sits oppose to the other valve.That would tell me how far or hard of a hit the piston made contact with it.
That would be me.Hopefully the valve ain't bent.
Guess if confident with dealer that is huge.If not fixed right it won't run right and warranty kicks in again.Sucks for the delay
Old 02-24-2018, 07:48 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

WOW! Let us know what the Technician said may have caused this to happen in the end.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:39 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Thanks brother Stingray is a great organization for sure ...just hate giving her away ....

Originally Posted by AORoads
Everything I've read about that dealer, you're in good hands. It'll turn out ok. Glad the car didn't do worse (not sure what that would be ) Good luck.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:42 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Thanks ....that is what they suspect (Valve) hope it is less problematic

Smart moveValves just don't bend.Unless they have help.Read here about broken valve springs.Springs will break if defective or over revved.When they break all kinds of destruction can and eventually will,if driven be very catastrophic.
To bad you can't check on the process.I would demand a photo of that troubled cylinder when the valve cover comes immediately off.I would want to see if the valve keepers and spring retainer are still intact.If are that will save searching for shards of metal in the oil.Oil goes to soft bearings.Not good.A good photo would be when rocker arms are removed.How low the bent valve sits oppose to the other valve.That would tell me how far or hard of a hit the piston made contact with it.
That would be me.Hopefully the valve ain't bent.
Guess if confident with dealer that is huge.If not fixed right it won't run right and warranty kicks in again.Sucks for the delay
Old 02-24-2018, 04:21 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Thanks ....that is what they suspect (Valve) hope it is less problematic
Yes for your sanity.That would be nice.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:02 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Thought I would update you guys... replacing cam and all lifters!!!! Apparently I had a lifter fail so they also ended up replacing the cam ....will be next week before I get it back
The following 2 users liked this post by bbrown450:
Boiler_81 (03-01-2018), Landru (03-02-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 05:22 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Hope it all turns out great!
Old 03-01-2018, 06:01 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Sounds like another case of GM's problem with the lifters in engines with AFM.

Get notified of new replies

To My ride is down...bent valve ??

Old 03-01-2018, 06:51 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
Sounds like another case of GM's problem with the lifters in engines with AFM.
Have not heard of problems caused by lifters.
Is that only if you run in 4 cylinder mode?
The following users liked this post:
Landru (03-02-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 06:59 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Rather have a bad Cam than a Valve Issue any time.You'll be Wheelin Soon
Old 03-02-2018, 01:14 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

The eight lifters used for AFM are different. Scroll about halfway down this page for an explanation of GM's AFM system.
https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...ctivation-work
The following 2 users liked this post by WelderGuy:
DALE#3 (03-03-2018), Landru (03-02-2018)

Quick Reply: My ride is down...bent valve ??