Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Polishing vs Waxing

Old 02-23-2018, 11:10 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

Default Polishing vs Waxing

Tried a search but could not find what I was looking for.

Planning on claying my car this spring and not sure if I should Zaino it like I've always done or try a few coats of high end carnauba wax.

Which product will give me the best shine ?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2018, 11:42 PM
Jn499
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 37 Posts

I would say it depends on what you are after. Zaino is a polymer base and will give you a ton of shine while lasting for a good while. A quality carnuba, a natural product, will also provide a great shine but will not last as long. In my opinion carnuba gives much more depth than polymer. I would say it depends on the color of the vehicle and what outcome you are looking for. A dark color car which you are prepping for a specific event or show then maybe carnuba is for you. Daily driving then maybe the Zaino is the better option. Either way start with a clean clayed car free of contaminants. It’s a vette, it will still look killer even covered in mud!
Old 02-24-2018, 12:38 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Was a Zaino guy for many years, and it held it's looks for a relatively long period. Unfortunately, the protection offered in terms of things like water spotting and bird bombs is relatively poor.

If ya wanna go another way that is easier and quicker to apply, offers great self cleaning properties and better protection than Zaino or a wax, maybe look at Gyeon CanCoat. Nice candy gloss, not too $$. User over on Autopia got a years worth of good performance by maintaining with nothing more than washing with Gyeon Bathe+ shampoo. It's fun stuff and works well.

CanCoat:
The following users liked this post:
ronkh57 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 08:45 AM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I’m stuck on the topic. I think you might have meant Sealant vs Waxing based on your description even though Sal calls most all of his products polish.

Polishing is a correcting step and is where your true shine comes from, while waxing and sealant are a protection step once you polished.

If shine is your goal, correct by polishing (choose a polishing product and a machine you’re comfortable with based on your skill level to complete)then enhance and protect the work you’ve done with a wax or sealant.

The follow up question of how long do you want that protection to last will determine wax or sealant.

Coatings are other options.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:51 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

You want to clay then polish, the polish will give you the deep look and shine. Then wax for protection.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:50 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

Can I apply Zaino and then wax?
Old 02-28-2018, 03:19 PM
c6vetteinhouston
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
Was a Zaino guy for many years, and it held it's looks for a relatively long period. Unfortunately, the protection offered in terms of things like water spotting and bird bombs is relatively poor.

If ya wanna go another way that is easier and quicker to apply, offers great self cleaning properties and better protection than Zaino or a wax, maybe look at Gyeon CanCoat. Nice candy gloss, not too $$. User over on Autopia got a years worth of good performance by maintaining with nothing more than washing with Gyeon Bathe+ shampoo. It's fun stuff and works well.

CanCoat: https://youtu.be/yKCC76DIKhE
This looks like a great product, but it can be similar to the Zainos Clear Seal, applied almost the same manner.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:18 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,238 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam's Polish
You want to clay then polish, the polish will give you the deep look and shine. Then wax for protection.
Polish is to smooth the surface and eliminate surface defects. Wax is to protect what you have done.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:50 AM
ETM
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I polished with Mother`s and seal with Rejex. That has been a good combination. If you follow the directions with Rejex it keeps looking sharp for a few months and protects.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:34 PM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam's Polish

Get notified of new replies

To Polishing vs Waxing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Polishing vs Waxing