Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Key fob

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 08:17 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Key fob

Need help with this. The key fob I have is the one on the lower left side of the pic. The one pictured in my GM owners manual is the one on the top right side with the key that inserts into it. I bought this car with 2400 miles on it, It's always had the older style fob's and they have worked fine. Now I'm trying to replace one so I have to sync it to the car. My car has the slot in the glove box for the remote sync port. But as far as I can tell the remote I have won't even go in there.
What the hell is going on here?? It's a 2007 ZO6. Fairly early production run.
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2018, 08:59 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

If you have the lower remote on the left its the correct fob for your car. You will need to find one like the one on the left as the key size is different for the trunk. I would try the fob in the slot It should work. The users manual in the car might not be the correct one.

Last edited by 08 ATOMIC-Z; 02-25-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:48 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 08 ATOMIC-Z
If you have the lower remote on the left its the correct fob for your car. You will need to find one like the one on the left as the key size is different for the trunk. I would try the fob in the slot It should work. The users manual in the car might not be the correct one.
Owners manual in the car reads 2007, my key fits in the trunk just fine. I must be missing something here. When the fob goes in the slot does it not connect to something in that slot?
Old 02-26-2018, 09:52 AM
njk4o5
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

i have an 07. I have the key in the lower left. when I purchased a key for a spare from the dealer I got the key on the right. I havnt programmed it yet or tried to get the key cut to my locks
Old 02-26-2018, 11:44 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by njk4o5
i have an 07. I have the key in the lower left. when I purchased a key for a spare from the dealer I got the key on the right. I havnt programmed it yet or tried to get the key cut to my locks
Thanks for the reply. And that's why I'm a bit confused here. I thought the key on the top of the pic started in 2008 but I guess not. Problem is that I still need to program this new one, not too sure how to do it now.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:48 PM
B Mac
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

2007 Fob is the one you have. It should fit the slot. I had to buy a spare and program it for my 07 Z06
Old 02-26-2018, 05:49 PM
B Mac
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by njk4o5

I've heard those wont work on ours without changing the lock mechanism. The key isn't long enough

Last edited by B Mac; 02-26-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:37 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by meanjoe
Owners manual in the car reads 2007, my key fits in the trunk just fine. I must be missing something here. When the fob goes in the slot does it not connect to something in that slot?
Are you thinking that the fob has to snap or plug into the slot, like you would plug something into a cigarette lighter? The fob just rests in the slot, it doesn't really snap into the slot. If it doesn't just slide it with no problem, maybe you have it backwards/upside down because that is the correct fob for the 2007.
The following users liked this post:
meanjoe (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 09:17 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
Are you thinking that the fob has to snap or plug into the slot, like you would plug something into a cigarette lighter? The fob just rests in the slot, it doesn't really snap into the slot. If it doesn't just slide it with no problem, maybe you have it backwards/upside down because that is the correct fob for the 2007.
So your right. That's where the confusion started. My book reads 2007 on the front of it. But it shows the later model key fob inside. I followed the exact instructions today and it programmed it on the first shot.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:45 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I bought an '07 Z06 used and it came with one fob and key like the one in the lower left of your picture. When I wanted a second fob as a spare, I bought one on ebay to match the one I had. Please be aware they come in Driver 1 and Driver 2 versions (number is engraved on the back). I had the #2 one, so I bought a #1 fob. Both work fine after I programmed the new one following manual instructions, although the car will recognize if it is a Driver 1 or Driver 2 fob.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:31 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by harrydirty
I bought an '07 Z06 used and it came with one fob and key like the one in the lower left of your picture. When I wanted a second fob as a spare, I bought one on ebay to match the one I had. Please be aware they come in Driver 1 and Driver 2 versions (number is engraved on the back). I had the #2 one, so I bought a #1 fob. Both work fine after I programmed the new one following manual instructions, although the car will recognize if it is a Driver 1 or Driver 2 fob.
I'm not sure if I understand. You say to be aware that they come in Driver 1 and Driver 2 versions. I don't think they are really 'different' - other than one has a 1 engraved on the case and the other has a 2 on it. That is just for you to identify which one is which. You don't necessarily need to order a #2 fob to replace the #2 fob. You can program another #1 fob for #2 if needed.

Last edited by dmuellenberg; 03-10-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:56 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
I'm not sure if I understand. You say to be aware that they come in Driver 1 and Driver 2 versions. I don't think they are really 'different' - other than one has a 1 engraved on the case and the other has a 2 on it. That is just for you to identify which one is which. You don't necessarily need to order a #2 fob to replace the #2 fob. You can program another #1 fob for #2 if needed.
You're right, I did a lousy job of describing it........a fob can be programmed as #1 or #2. I recall the difference being that each one can "remember" settings such as seat preferences or radio presets. The engraving on the back is to help humans distinguish the two, but the car can only "see" what is programmed for each fob.

I guess it was the **** side of me that required that I buy a differently numbered fob to complement the one I already had.

Thanks for the correction/clarification.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:32 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by meanjoe
So your right. That's where the confusion started. My book reads 2007 on the front of it. But it shows the later model key fob inside. I followed the exact instructions today and it programmed it on the first shot.

Thanks for all the help.
And when finished what # FOB was reported as learned #3???
Old 03-11-2018, 07:48 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

For those that have bought any used car (not just a Vette) and only got 1 FOB, the first thing going through your mind is, where's the other FOB???
Somewhere in the world there is another FOB that works with your car.
Buying a second FOB and simply learning it to your car has not eliminated the potential problem of someone with your missing FOB driving your car away without anyone questioning it. When you are learning a FOB, you are NOT programming a FOB. You are programming the car to say OK this FOB works for me. Any settings associated with the digital signal coming out of the FOB are stored in the car. Heck, for all you know, there may already be a 3rd emergency FOB learned for your used Vette that you are unaware of. First thing I'd do is carefully read the manual with everything related to "re-learn" get comfortable with the process and do it. That deletes all previously learned FOB's and learns only the ones you have. Starts from scratch. That way, no one else can have access to your car EVER.

Get notified of new replies

To Key fob

Quick Reply: [Z06] Key fob