C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

What happened to the '15/'16 upgrades Tadge spoke about?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 04:39 AM
Satanspawn
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Default What happened to the '15/'16 upgrades Tadge spoke about?

I'm not holding out hope and not trying to start a fire, but I'm curious about whatever happened to the upgrades that Tadge said were being worked on/looked into for 15 and 16 Z owners. I remember people saying to be patient and that things take time to be hashed out behind the scenes on the corporate end, but it's been quite some time since then and I haven't heard anything new on it. Anyone else have a clue?

For reference, this was his answer nearly a year ago when asked: “Finally, the 2017 supercharger upgrade kit: The hardware is already available piece-meal through service parts. We are working however, to assemble a kit that would make customer installation more straightforward. The kit would include the supercharger assembly, a new hood liner and a new calibration for automatic transmission vehicles (This calibration is not backwards compatible with 2015 and 16 cars but is important and is being re-developed for the earlier cars). We would like to offer the kit at a nice discount from the normal service parts cost to owners of 2015 and 2016 Z06's. Putting this all together is a fairly complex task, but we are making progress.”

Last edited by Satanspawn; 03-09-2018 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:13 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Great question. Maybe time to Ask Tadge again.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:42 AM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

So let's ask the detailed question.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:37 AM
Checkmate1
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 128 Posts

Agreed. Somebody please ask the question.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:37 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

It probably is more convoluted than imagined.

He says the kit would include the supercharger assembly, new hood liner and a new calibration for automatic transmission vehicles (This calibration is not backwards compatible with 2015 and 16 cars but is important and is being re-developed for the earlier cars).

I suspect any upgrade to the 15/16 A8 tune would have to go through federal certification again. That could be trickier than people think. We know that GM isn't adverse to providing upgrades since we now have the MRC upgrade, however, based on some people's extreme negative reaction to the small $350 charge for that upgrade we may have seen the final nails being driven in the coffin containing the S/C upgrade that would more than likely cost ten times that amount. Why get slapped in the face for offering something to owners of cars several years old? Just don't offer it.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Lyn Go Fast (03-18-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 11:50 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
however, based on some people's extreme negative reaction to the small $350 charge for that upgrade we may have seen the final nails being driven in the coffin containing the S/C upgrade that would more than likely cost ten times that amount. Why get slapped in the face for offering something to owners of cars several years old? Just don't offer it.

Bill
I agree, I wouldn't bother with it if I were GM the way I have seen people react on here with the simple MRC update, expecting it for free, etc.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:36 PM
Satanspawn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

He says the kit would include the supercharger assembly, new hood liner and a new calibration for automatic transmission vehicles (This calibration is not backwards compatible with 2015 and 16 cars but is important and is being re-developed for the earlier cars).

I suspect any upgrade to the 15/16 A8 tune would have to go through federal certification again. That could be trickier than people think. We know that GM isn't adverse to providing upgrades since we now have the MRC upgrade, however, based on some people's extreme negative reaction to the small $350 charge for that upgrade we may have seen the final nails being driven in the coffin containing the S/C upgrade that would more than likely cost ten times that amount. Why get slapped in the face for offering something to owners of cars several years old? Just don't offer it.

Bill
Yea the reaction to the MRC upgrade was just sad. As if GM should just spend development time and money to push free things out to everyone. I'd be upset if GM shelved the S/C upgrade kit because of whiny brats, but I'd certainly understand it.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:17 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Bill makes a very good point and I was quite surprised that many would argue that the MRC upgrade should be free.

I wouldn't be surprised if GM did future updates the way they used to in the past: at the end of every model year make a change. Or, as a "running, mid-model-year" change, make an improvement but not offer it for prior models.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:28 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,987 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Bill makes a very good point and I was quite surprised that many would argue that the MRC upgrade should be free.

I wouldn't be surprised if GM did future updates the way they used to in the past: at the end of every model year make a change. Or, as a "running, mid-model-year" change, make an improvement but not offer it for prior models.
I actually think the MRC upgrade for $350 is a bargain, as it improves upon something that is already working. I think the "Tadge" updates mentioned for the 2015 & 2016 Supercharger SHOULD be covered under warranty as it reflects an issue that was not resolved or corrected at the time of manufacture. Not holding my breath on that one.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:01 PM
Torch Red Z06
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

There was never a “fix” for the overheating issues in the A8 cars. I think Tadge admitted it when he said, if you track your Z06, the M7 is the way to go. Even 17 and 18 A8 Z06’s will overheat on the track. My 15 A8 has never overheated on the street and I drive it hard in Florida during the summer months. I think at this point it’s a moot issue.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:58 PM
btwicked
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

It's simple...he lied.

Good luck asking the question in the ask Tadge section. Everytime someone brings it up or overheating in general, JVP locks it down and/or deletes the thread.

Last edited by btwicked; 03-09-2018 at 08:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by btwicked:
Ornery (03-17-2018), Rodbuster56 (03-12-2018), thebishman (03-17-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:11 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

The fix costs $60k in combined depreciation and MSRP increase. It’s called the ZR1. Thanks GM!
Old 03-09-2018, 09:19 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Satanspawn
Yea the reaction to the MRC upgrade was just sad. As if GM should just spend development time and money to push free things out to everyone. I'd be upset if GM shelved the S/C upgrade kit because of whiny brats, but I'd certainly understand it.
I agree with the issue of those that complained about having to pay for the MRC upgrade but then there is a segment of our population that spends several times that amount for a aftermarket ride control system and they rave about it. There threads about upgrades provided by the industry all over this forum. Most are not cheap and most void warranties. Corvette Performance should be able to complete for a piece of that business. Tell me what it cost and let me decide if I want that “mod” or engineering upgrade.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:39 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rbartick
Has your car overheated?
Nope, but I haven’t tracked it either. It is hot as hell here in Mississippi in the summer and my Corvette club group drives a lot of twisties and my Z06 A8 hasn’t ever overheated. If I was running lap after lap in a 20 minute session I expect it would. LG Motorsports over near Dallas offers a cooling package that would eliminate the problem for several thousand dollars. If I was a track guy I might spend that money to upgrade the cooling along with other upgrades to boost power.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:11 AM
Satanspawn
Instructor

Originally Posted by rbartick
I was asking the thread starter.
Tadge made a statement that there was a kit in the works for 15 and 16 Z owners to be able to upgrade their superchargers to the 17 unit. How does me overheating or not overheating affect that statement and my curiosity as to what, if anything, is happening with it?
Old 03-10-2018, 10:27 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I ask for an update on the Ask Tagdge section here in the forum. We will see if we get any information.
Bill
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...it-please.html
Old 03-10-2018, 11:29 PM
Satanspawn
Instructor

Originally Posted by dollarbill
I ask for an update on the Ask Tagdge section here in the forum. We will see if we get any information.
Bill
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...it-please.html
Sadly, as expected, it's already been closed and nobody had the decency to even give a reason as to why.

The 'Ask Tadge' section is simply put, a pathetic waste of forum space. Sure, you can get answers from him, but the answers are to asinine questions that could be answered by common sense. Questions like "Should I use the new recommended oil weight?". Like c'mon, really?!

The section does little more than give a false sense of importance to it's facilitator, and presents what I believe to be an intentionally deceitful facade to the forum, that Tadge has his ear to the community. If he truly did, he wouldn't need a middleman to filter the questions he cannot, or will not answer...

I didn't think it was out of line to ask about the status of a kit that we were initially told was progressing in development nearly a year ago...
The following 2 users liked this post by Satanspawn:
Ornery (03-17-2018), Rodbuster56 (03-12-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To What happened to the '15/'16 upgrades Tadge spoke about?

Old 03-11-2018, 12:52 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Guys, the 15 & 16 fix Tadge talked about ain't gonna happen.
It never was.
He was just doing what all marketing people do in a difficult situation: promise BIG, deliver little.
It's time to let this topic go...and remember this incident the next time you purchase a car.
The following users liked this post:
Ornery (03-17-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 12:02 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Guys, the 15 & 16 fix Tadge talked about ain't gonna happen.
It never was.
He was just doing what all marketing people do in a difficult situation: promise BIG, deliver little.
It's time to let this topic go...and remember this incident the next time you purchase a car.
We got the secondary radiator for M7s, A8s got nada except some for a few SC changes for the 17 model year. Was it ever 'gonna happen' for 15/16 A8s? Maybe he was trying to be positive for the gathered fan base --- maybe the crew back in Detroit thought they could pull some things together but I think they looked at it and realized it was too many things to attempt after the simple but effective M7s secondary radiator.

Corporate memo to Tadge: apply egg to face and do not answer similar questions going forward.

And I've yet to find a manfacturer that didn't aggravate me for one reason or another.

Last edited by HighBeta; 03-11-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:09 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Satanspawn;1596760057]Sadly, as expected, it's already been closed and nobody had the decency to even give a reason as to why.

/QUOTE]

If I recall correctly, Tadge had already indicated that it would be ready when it was ready and not before then and to stop asking the question. I think he realized, at some point, that he'd said/committed to some things prematurely.

Yes, it would be great to ask him again and I'd like to see that happen but the moderators surely don't want to push the issue with the guy.

Last edited by HighBeta; 03-11-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Quick Reply: What happened to the '15/'16 upgrades Tadge spoke about?