C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Protection Film - All about the Installer...So?

Old 03-12-2018, 11:15 PM
DarthKickA
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist
Default Paint Protection Film - All about the Installer...So?

Hey All -

I, like many of you before, am anxiously awaiting a TPW for my recently ordered Z06.

So, like many of you before, am passing the time by reading every thread I can relative to the C7. The dollar signs seem to be racking up in my mind.

I am interested in getting a PPF installed in this vehicle and the consensus seems to be that the brand (Xpel/SunTek/etc.) isn't as much the value but the installation/installer is what counts most.

In researching the local installers of many different films including word of mouth from several local car owners I have been lead to what most consider the "best" local PPF and Window Tint installer. I understand this is a subjective in nature, but over half of my friends or colleagues recommended this person, most of which have beautiful toys.

This gentleman only installs SunTek if that matters to anyone who responds.

He requires several additional services before he will install the PPF, at a cost (of course) - Clay Bar, Paint Correction, and a few other services, even for a new vehicle.

In reading what others have paid for a top-quality PPF and comparing to his online prices I feel this estimate will be slightly higher than what many of the forum has paid for an install.

So.....I guess my questions are:
a.) - what would you perceive the value of the Clay Bar, Paint Correction, etc? (note that I do not know how to do these things and likely I would pay for this service anyway)
2.) - would the required additional services make any of y'all run from this installer and perhaps find a lesser-recommended installer for a better price?

It may be worth to note that he would need the vehicle for several days so the overall installed cost-vs.-time seems reasonable in my head.

Additionally, I am awaiting an estimate to see what the cost for these services are - just wanted some thoughts before I get the estimate on what to expect.

Thoughts?
Old 03-13-2018, 01:09 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthKickA
a.) - what would you perceive the value of the Clay Bar, Paint Correction, etc? (note that I do not know how to do these things and likely I would pay for this service anyway)
2.) - would the required additional services make any of y'all run from this installer and perhaps find a lesser-recommended installer for a better price?
1 - I didnt do either and my car looks great. I guess it depends on what you start with. If the paint looks good and its clean, the PPF will too.

2 - I would say the more cars an installer has done, the better they will be. Ask your installer. Not the company, the guy that has his hands on your car. Also, like any work on our cars, you want someone who will work on it like it's his own.

The following users liked this post:
DarthKickA (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 06:37 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I guess if he is a perfectionist (and you are not) it is a bit of overkill and added cost. If you are a super fastidious person, then by now you would already do/have done this to your cars with or without PPF.

Having had "clear bra" on more than several cars, and researching pros that do it, I'd say he sounds really good. But the proof is in not what he says, but you going over your friends' cars and looking for telltale signs of his trade expertise.

I've had clear bra on non-new cars and it still looked good but the darker the color the more it will show. And the more defects in the paint/clear coat will show thru---if at all---the film. Truly, I don't consider that a big worry, but you might.

If it were me, I'd keep searching for an excellent "installer" who doesn't require those extras at extra cost. For that, I might suggest going to some of the luxo brand's service dept. and asking who they use (lex, mb, bmw, p-car come to mind).

Note: that doesn't mean you shouldn't bring whomever as good as car as you can make it---clean, washed, etc. to the instructions of the installer.

Last edited by AORoads; 03-13-2018 at 06:38 PM.
DarthKickA (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 06:43 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

A bit surprised he requires claybar, paint correction and more before he even looks at the car.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:50 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

When I received price quotes of the same brand/product for a full body wrap on my new C7 convertible, ranging from "$3,250.00 to $6,000.00," with absolutely NO WARRANTY OR GUARANTEE? I decided to back off and rethink/re-price and re-research the whole wrap deal.
DarthKickA (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 06:54 PM
DarthKickA
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Thanks for the responses. As far as requiring the treatment - he did mention that to get an accurate quote it is best to see the car in person. Maybe after he sees it it wont be a requirement, but in my experience it always requires the extras (whether its a vehicle or a electrician or a plumber).

I had one clear bra installed on my STS-V years' ago, but the installer can't be found - may be out of business.

He claims to be a nationally ranked exotics auto detailer - TBH I don't have an idea where to validate that information.

His work in past year includes Bugatti Veyron, Lambo Aventador, a 918, Carrera GT, and several Z06's one of which I saw in detail and it was close to perfection IMO. Several other exotics as well. A few full vehicle wraps on some Tesla's...

I appreciate everyone's input - still researching.

One note - I was to have a early estimate yesterday and still nothing. I did mention I was not in a hurry.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:55 PM
DarthKickA
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Thanks Joe -

Mine is a Vert also. Still no estimate yet, hoping it is not a scary as those numbers you had...
Old 03-13-2018, 06:56 PM
DarthKickA
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Oh -
and he offers a 10 year warranty on the SunTek and claims no waxing for first 2 years.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:06 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Thanks Joe -

Mine is a Vert also. Still no estimate yet, hoping it is not a scary as those numbers you had...
You're welcome.

Those numbers are "scary."
Old 03-15-2018, 05:29 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Default Say Yes to PPF

Hey All -

It may be worth to note that he would need the vehicle for several days so the overall installed cost-vs.-time seems reasonable in my head.

Additionally, I am awaiting an estimate to see what the cost for these services are - just wanted some thoughts before I get the estimate on what to expect.

Thoughts?
Hello,

To answer your questions
1 - A good cleaning/wash and clay bar are needed before any paint protection installation. As far as paint correction, you do NOT need this. Most films will mask existing fine scratches and swirl marks. If there are ever any really bad scratches or really noticeable orange peel, then you may want to consider paint correction but only at that point.

2 - The biggest thing with an installer is finding one you're comfortable with. Be sure to find 2 or 3 and go to their shop in person. This will let you gauge their workmanship but also their customer service quality.

The other thing that wasn't mentioned above is that you'll want to consider how the film is going to fit your car. Pre-cut kits are the way to go these days, especially with any new/modern cars as the kits are extremely advanced. To be clear, pre-cut kits with the XPEL DAP software can be modified to wrap edges giving you a more seamless installation. So be sure to ask what pre-cut kit software the installer is using as well since that plays a role in the overall finished quality of the install.

Hope this info helps, let us know if we can help track down an XPEL installer near you or answer any other questions.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:58 PM
TRS88
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I had an excellent installer do mine in suntek Ultra and he used a full sheet and cut to fit by hand. I’m referring to the front bumper. He was able to do it with only one seam which isn’t even noticeable. The reason I mention this, is because xpel above mentioned the pre cut kits. A buddy of mine has one installed on his C7 and it looks like complete **** in comparison. Has so many seams and edges.

The installer is for sure the most important part, I think both products are great, like many have stated. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2018, 05:22 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

If this installer is recommended by a number of folks you know, offers 10 years of warranty protection, washes, clays, and paint corrects your car for a price that you expect will be "slightly higher" I'd say this is a person you should consider. The installer makes the difference and with a properly cleaned and paint corrected car you should have an outstanding result.

I also have to agree with TRS88. If you're installer is custom fitting the film I suspect you'll get the best result. My wife's Audi was wrapped with a precut kit and while the result is very good, I'm still annoyed sometimes when I see the cutout for the emblems or notice a seam. If you're going to do this, go all the way.

Mike

Last edited by mcoomer; 03-16-2018 at 05:22 AM.
TRS88 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 01:14 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TRS88
A buddy of mine has one installed on his C7 and it looks like complete **** in comparison. Has so many seams and edges.
This might be color dependent because I can barely see the edges of my pre-cut Xpel (WG Gray). You really have to get up close and feel for it with your finger, for example around the front bumper emblem. Most people don't even notice the PPF at all.

I too recommend you wrap the edges, but that so there is nothing exposed and subject to road blasting. Just a guess, but I bet you pay a bit more for that (it takes longer).
Old 03-16-2018, 05:37 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mcoomer
If this installer is recommended by a number of folks you know, offers 10 years of warranty protection,.........

Mike
Who, (which brand/s) actually do this? ^^^^
Old 03-16-2018, 07:59 PM
DarthKickA
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Ok all -

It looks like the Paint Prep/Correction is included in the cost of the install, here is directly from the estimate that I did receive yesterday while travelling on Business:

Paint Prep:Prep
Even though Paint Protection Film will cover most defects in
your paint (minus previous chips), it is incredibly important to
prep the paint prior to laying film. We do not just
decontaminate/clean your paint, we also thoroughly correct is
to be as close to perfect as possible. We do not view film as a
bandaid, rather a sacrificial barrier protecting pristine
condition paint underneath. We start with a thorough
wash/decon, and from there correct any panel that will have
film installed.

This Line item shows a $0.00 cost

So I probably jumped the gun assuming it was at an additional cost.

Last edited by DarthKickA; 03-22-2018 at 09:02 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-16-2018, 08:02 PM
DarthKickA
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Here is what was quoted on the balance:

Paint Protection Film Install
Suntek PPF Ultra is an 8mil film that is applied to any painted
surface that resists rock chips, scratching, and swirling. It is
self healing, and comes with a 10 year unlimited mile (nontransferrable)
warranty. (Bumper)

$762.50T

warranty. (Full
Hood/Fenders/Headlights/Mirrors/Pillars)
$1,375.00T

warranty. (Rockers/Rear Impact/Splash, Door
Cups/Gas Cap)

$662.50T

Does this seem in line with market standards? Total about $3K after the TN damn-near 10% sales tax...

Last edited by DarthKickA; 03-16-2018 at 08:03 PM. Reason: sp again
Old 03-16-2018, 08:20 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Oh -
and he offers a 10 year warranty on the SunTek and claims no waxing for first 2 years.
If this installer is recommended by a number of folks you know, offers 10 years of warranty protection, washes, clays, and paint corrects your car for a price that you expect will be "slightly higher" I'd say this is a person you should consider. The installer makes the difference and with a properly cleaned and paint corrected car you should have an outstanding result.

I also have to agree with TRS88. If you're installer is custom fitting the film I suspect you'll get the best result. My wife's Audi was wrapped with a precut kit and while the result is very good, I'm still annoyed sometimes when I see the cutout for the emblems or notice a seam. If you're going to do this, go all the way.

Mike
Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Who, (which brand/s) actually do this? ^^^^
Reading is fundamental big guy, but in seriousness I believe xPel offers 10 years against peeling and yellowing if a factory trained installer does the work. There are some really good products out there right now.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Protection Film - All about the Installer...So?

Old 03-16-2018, 08:24 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Here is what was quoted on the balance:

warranty. (Bumper)

$762.50T

warranty. (Full
Hood/Fenders/Headlights/Mirrors/Pillars)
$1,375.00T

warranty. (Rockers/Rear Impact/Splash, Door
Cups/Gas Cap)

$662.50T

Does this seem in line with market standards? Total about $3K after the TN damn-near 10% sales tax...
I'd sign up for that right now. Don't know your market in TN, but a front wrap in xPel on my wife's Audi was about $3500 and no paint correction.
DarthKickA (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 09:42 PM
TXSteveF
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

I paid right at $4,000 for the entire car in SunTek Ultra, no paint correction. In the lights at their shop it looks perfect. He removed all emblems and covered 99% of the car.
DarthKickA (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 09:44 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Reading is fundamental big guy, but in seriousness I believe xPel offers 10 years against peeling and yellowing if a factory trained installer does the work. There are some really good products out there right now.
So is writing. You failed to identify who offers 10-year warranties.
As far as Xpel offering a 10-year warranty? If it does, they've managed numerous times to not mention it, big guy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film - All about the Installer...So?