C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep blowing same O2 sensor???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 07:46 PM
Legal Alien
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Keep blowing same O2 sensor???

I've just swapped out (for the third time) my bank 2 sensor 1 HOS. I know for a fact in a few months it will fail again for the same reason. It keeps failing for the heater control circuit.

I suspected it was a wiring/loom issue but I have switched the sensors over and immediately replicated the fault on bank 1.

What would keep causing the same o2 sensor to fail for such a strange fault?

Anyone seen this before?
Old 03-15-2018, 10:16 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Sensors can not be touched or washed so why they come with a protective cover and when anti seize is applied to the threads it should not contact sensor area hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:49 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

What mod's, since if the heater in the O2 is burning out over and over again, then that bank is running way to rich at start up (or some other problem leading to the same), and the reason that the heater is left on way too long after initial start up instead.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:29 AM
Legal Alien
Pro

Originally Posted by Dano523
What mod's, since if the heater in the O2 is burning out over and over again, then that bank is running way to rich at start up (or some other problem leading to the same), and the reason that the heater is left on way too long after initial start up instead.
I think you could be onto something here Dano.

The car has CAI, FAST, Headers, 160 Stat and a tune. All of this was done before I purchased it in 2011 with 60k miles.

I ran it daily in the USA for 5 years without any problems and put another 50k miles on her. Just before I moved back to UK the B2S1 HOS failed for the heater circuit and I swapped it out thinking 'oh well, 100k miles or so ain't bad!'

About 9 months later I got the CEL again and on reading the codes it was the same fault - new sensor remember. I had another new sensor so I thought 'OK, bad sensor maybe' but I was starting to also think maybe a loom issue. I also swapped out the sensor extension pigtails for new high quality racetronix ones as these looked a little tired.

Another year and 3 months has passed and boom, same codes. So yesterday I switched sensors between left and right and on second start up boom - same failure but has moved from B2S1 to B1S1 - as expected so it's deffo the sensor in my mind.

Another point of interest is that the car does smell really rich when cold but doesn't run rich when hot - we have a gas analysis every year for our equivalent of the smog test. It stinks very fuelly when cold.

Also, the sensor that had failed was quite a bit darker than the good one. Not horrendously sooty but blackened more than the other.

any more thoughts?

Old 03-16-2018, 08:12 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,665 Likes on 1,697 Posts

If the sensor is considerably darker than the other, especially if it's black, that is an indication of unburned fuel. Start checking injectors, fueling, etc on that side. Of course, thinking out loud, the sensor could be darker because the heater is not working properly.

Last edited by BadAV; 03-16-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:27 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Alien

The car has CAI, FAST, Headers, 160 Stat and a tune. All of this was done before I purchased it in 2011 with 60k miles.
I suspect your problem is in the area I highlighted.

Most tuners think the only thing you have to do to "tune" for a 160° thermostat is change the fan temps. I'd say 9 out of 10 that I've seen that were "tuned for a 160° thermostat" had no changes to the fuel mapping. If it's still mapped to try to warm up the engine to reach a stock thermostat, it's going to run rich, and that will burn up O2 sensors, catalysts, and cause other issues. It often makes underhood temps worse in traffic because of the extra heat from the catalyst trying to burn all the unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

Try a 180° thermostat, or take it to someone who knows how to tune the fuel maps to match a 160° thermostat.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 03-16-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:47 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
I suspect your problem is in the area I highlighted.

Most tuners think the only thing you have to do to "tune" for a 160° thermostat is change the fan temps. I'd say 9 out of 10 that I've seen that were "tuned for a 160° thermostat" had no changes to the fuel mapping. If it's still mapped to try to warm up the engine to reach a stock thermostat, it's going to run rich, and that will burn up O2 sensors, catalysts, and cause other issues. It often makes underhood temps worse in traffic because of the extra heat from the catalyst trying to burn all the unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

Try a 180° thermostat, or take it to someone who knows how to tune the fuel maps to match a 160° thermostat.
A 180 t-stat is certainly not a bad idea, but he drove the car over 50k miles with no issues with a 160 t-stat.

How long since plugs and wires have been changed?
Old 03-17-2018, 06:41 AM
Legal Alien
Pro

Thanks for the responses,

I have been considering changing for a warmer 'stat' for sometime as I don't think there is any point me running as is. Like you say though BadAV, the car ran faultlessly for 50k miles and about 16 full days at SMMR so I was of the opinion 'if it ain't broke - don't fix it'.

Whatever has happened 2 years ago or so is causing the car to run rich on that bank (at least during warm up), i'm fairly certain of it now. Next job is to pull the plugs and see what they are saying. I will post pictures for your opinions gents which are greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, what causes the heater circuit to trip off? Is it coolant temp, the PCM seeing the sensor switching?, a period of time or a combination of these?

I am thinking it could be time to replace a few bits and get it tuned over here...

Plugs were about 40k miles ago, wires I have never changed but are MSD type and I assume done at same time as previous owner mods.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:24 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Alien

I ran it daily in the USA for 5 years without any problems and put another 50k miles on her. Just before I moved back to UK the B2S1 HOS failed for the heater circuit and I swapped it out thinking 'oh well, 100k miles or so ain't bad!'

About 9 months later I got the CEL again and on reading the codes it was the same fault - new sensor remember. I had another new sensor so I thought 'OK, bad sensor maybe' but I was starting to also think maybe a loom issue. I also swapped out the sensor extension pigtails for new high quality racetronix ones as these looked a little tired.

Another year and 3 months has passed and boom, same codes. So yesterday I switched sensors between left and right and on second start up boom - same failure but has moved from B2S1 to B1S1 - as expected so it's deffo the sensor in my mind.

Another point of interest is that the car does smell really rich when cold but doesn't run rich when hot - we have a gas analysis every year for our equivalent of the smog test. It stinks very fuelly when cold.

Also, the sensor that had failed was quite a bit darker than the good one. Not horrendously sooty but blackened more than the other.

any more thoughts?

Does it still have cats out of curiosity ?
NSF
Old 03-19-2018, 06:20 AM
Legal Alien
Pro

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Does it still have cats out of curiosity ?
NSF
It has high flow Cats as has a full magnaflow system.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:55 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

Texas Speed headers?
Old 03-19-2018, 08:53 PM
Legal Alien
Pro

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Texas Speed headers?
Kooks

Old 03-20-2018, 08:01 PM
Legal Alien
Pro

Gents,

The 180 Stat you refer to, is that the stock item? I am ordering some parts to come over the pond but on rockauto all I can find is a 187 degree stat. Is this a, the one you advise/refer to and b, the stock item?

Cheers!

Plan is to whip the plugs out tomorrow as it's a day off at last!
Old 03-20-2018, 08:29 PM
BadAV
Race Director

I have never personally verified, but have seen it posted many times that the OEM t-stat is 187.

Last edited by BadAV; 03-20-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:23 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

im fighting the exact same issue. i burn out the pass side sensor 1 heater circuit every 3 months.
TSP headers.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nths-help.html

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 03-20-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:32 AM
Legal Alien
Pro

Here are the plugs as of this morning. Best guess is approx 30-40k and maybe 8-10 road course days over maybe 4 years? I did swap them myself but I have a terrible memory for such things!

I'm no expert but there doesn't seem to be much wrong? Happy to take input.

Nonetheless, 180 stat and new plugs en route from rock auto.

Bank1

Bank2

Last edited by Legal Alien; 03-22-2018 at 10:37 AM. Reason: image hosting faff
Old 03-22-2018, 10:35 AM
Legal Alien
Pro

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
im fighting the exact same issue. i burn out the pass side sensor 1 heater circuit every 3 months.
TSP headers.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nths-help.html
My main concern is this is a 'new' problem for me. The car behaved in it's current guise for years and something has changed. I don't think I can blame the headers for that but i'm open to suggestions!!!

It does make logical sense to me that the only thing that would burn the heater out is overuse. It's why it is staying on (on only one bank) that has me baffled.

Get notified of new replies

To Keep blowing same O2 sensor???

Old 03-22-2018, 01:33 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

last night i wrapped my headers up to the 02 sensors. to try to keep the heat in the pipes to make the 02s heaters not working so hard.
wasnt terribly hard. about an hour.
and no wonder the tunnel and floor boards get hot. the driverside header sits 1/4" away from the tunnel pretty much the whole way. barely enough room to get wrap threw. no room in some spots.

should be a cheap/easy test/fix i hope.

my new 02s come in today.
my pass side O2 was blacker than the drivers side.
the pass side is the one that always burns out. however this time both burned out for the first time.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 03-22-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:10 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Have you checked all of the exhaust gaskets to make sure the headers aren't sucking air at either end? It's probably worth looking at.

Last edited by BadAV; 03-22-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:12 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

not a bad idea. there only 2000 miles old, but worth a shot.

Quick Reply: Keep blowing same O2 sensor???