Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 12:12 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Stick-On Mirrors.

Yes, I've read the SAE paper about how to adjust the factory mirrors, and have been using that technique for most of my adult life with good results. But on the C7 you can still have blind spots from cars that are not properly centered in the lane or moving in from another lane. Smaller cars or motorcycles make it worse.

So I'd like to add a pair of those stick-on convex mirrors to the outside.
They are available in various shapes and sizes, which ones have worked best for you and where did you buy them?

If you have tried them on your C7 and didn't like 'em, that's also worth hearing about.
If you haven't tried them on a C7, save some bandwidth and go on to the next topic. The "How to Adjust Your Mirrors" topic has been beaten to death already.
The following users liked this post:
MSG C5 (03-17-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 01:02 AM
ElGreco53
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

2" round stick-on on driver's side, lower left corner, works great, and I make it part of my mirror scan before turning the wheel. Instant visual input.

Inexpensive unit, most auto parts stores will have 'em. Go for it, Jim!
BronxBomber (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 02:06 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

I also have the 2" round on each side and prefer the Adjustable ones.
Being adjustable I set them to see my rear tires when backing up near a curb and can still see further out to the side.

Search: Passenger Side Stick On Adjustable Blind Spot Mirrors

YMMV and good luck
Attached Images  
BronxBomber (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 02:16 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

You're just going to have to be more aware of your surroundings. It's not any easy thing to do in the C7 convertible I own. Surprise car appearances happen. You're just going to have to keep your head on a swivel. As commercial pilots should all do below 18,000 feet. I've run those mirrors for years on a Cadillac and Lincoln I owned. I might should start shopping for a couple for each of my cars. I drove a 2014 Honda Accord recently with a good looking built in on the driver's side mirror, that I didn't find that useful. Post up your source & examples you might use or run across.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 03-16-2018 at 02:18 AM.
Maxie2U (03-28-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 05:32 AM
chronage
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I let Jesus take the wheel when I change lanes. So far so good.
The following 2 users liked this post by chronage:
LeManscoupe05 (03-17-2018), Virtual Geezer (03-17-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 05:52 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I routinely drive on 6 lane interstates.These help me see 3-4 lanes at a time on either side.I have them on all our cars.

\db2
Attached Images  

Last edited by dbaker; 03-16-2018 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:37 AM
woodw10
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After almost moving into passing lane in front of passing car after leaving the dealer with a brand new car.... next stop was Autozone to get the assist mirrors. Drivers side a necessity, passenger side not as critical.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:35 AM
late sleeper
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

There's a member, volvos80, who has imported convex European Volvo mirrors and had them cut to match C7 mirrors. If I recall, the left half is convex and the right half is flat. I was in the same local club and have seen his mirror modification. It looks like something GM should be providing, but I think there's a federal regulation about non-flat mirrors on driver's side mirrors. Contact him if you'd rather not have a stick on convex mirror.
Mako72 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 09:40 AM
silberma
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about Chevy putting blind spot detection on Corvettes. The wide rear pillars make this car the worst in terms of detecting cars in the blind spots. Toyotas and Honda have them as standard equipment, Even Porsche 911 have them as an option.
The car is fast and handles well how about making it safer? Rear cross traffic detection will also help eliminate parking areas accidents when backing out.
NoRuls (03-28-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 10:11 AM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 694 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by late sleeper
There's a member, volvos80, who has imported convex European Volvo mirrors and had them cut to match C7 mirrors. If I recall, the left half is convex and the right half is flat. I was in the same local club and have seen his mirror modification. It looks like something GM should be providing, but I think there's a federal regulation about non-flat mirrors on driver's side mirrors. Contact him if you'd rather not have a stick on convex mirror.
Per Volvos80: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...pots-c7-2.html
Quote: Being from Europe, and having installed the convex European mirrors on my non-US made vehicles for years I was wondering what to do when I purchased my first US made car - the C7. Here is a great idea for all of you who have problems with blind spots. I purchased a Volvo XC90 European convex driver side mirror as they are much larger than the C7 mirrors. With a heat gun I removed the mirror glass from the plastic backing. I then used masking tape and covered the flat original mirror glass and cut out the masking tape to get an exact removable size which I placed in an appropriate position on the larger Volvo convex mirror glass. With a dremel tool I cut a good gouge all around the masking tape and then cracked piece by piece till I had the new convex glass sized to fit inside the original C7 plastic glass holder - removed the flat mirror glass with a heat gun of course. So I have a great one piece convex glass in the C7 driver side mirror. Also purchased a more convex piece of mirror glass for the driver side and did the same there. I have no blind spots and can drive much safer now than when the car was new. Easy to do for anyone. If you do not want to cut the glass yourself - give it to a glass-cutter and they will do it for a few dollars.

This could be a great winter project for anyone waiting for better times to cruise around with their C7.
Mike Campbell (03-29-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 10:13 AM
Superstar555
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by silberma
How about Chevy putting blind spot detection on Corvettes. The wide rear pillars make this car the worst in terms of detecting cars in the blind spots. Toyotas and Honda have them as standard equipment, Even Porsche 911 have them as an option.
The car is fast and handles well how about making it safer? Rear cross traffic detection will also help eliminate parking areas accidents when backing out.
Weight and cost.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:25 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

I could possibly source the aspheric mirrors (like Volvos80). I need to get a mirror I can tear apart. Haven't had time to look into it yet.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:41 AM
capehorn3
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I put the Auto Zone mirrors on mine. The black plastic frames around the mirrors seem big so I popped mirror out and used 3M tape to stick mirror on.
The following 2 users liked this post by capehorn3:
Frosty (03-30-2018), Mulligandog (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 10:53 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Good idea with the tape and delete the frame!
Old 03-16-2018, 10:54 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
You're just going to have to be more aware of your surroundings. It's not any easy thing to do in the C7 convertible I own. Surprise car appearances happen. You're just going to have to keep your head on a swivel. As commercial pilots should all do below 18,000 feet. I've run those mirrors for years on a Cadillac and Lincoln I owned. I might should start shopping for a couple for each of my cars. I drove a 2014 Honda Accord recently with a good looking built in on the driver's side mirror, that I didn't find that useful. Post up your source & examples you might use or run across.
Agree w. above underlined, but the '15 has a right-side full pano in-dash screen shot---very good!

"...If you haven't tried them on a C7, save some bandwidth..." Right, I haven't tried them on a C7 , but for my suv which already has big mirrors, I still get that my car merging onto a highway, with cars coming from the center lane-to-local lane, blind spot. For that I decided to try a windshield mounted, rectangular, suction cup mirror. It seems to work. As I "scan" from straight ahead to left mirror, I have the other mirror right in line, with but angled farther out than the driver's side can go. Is it as good as a round mirror ON the outside mirror itself? I don't know but at nite it seems to be for me. Just a thought, at about $14 or so from Amazon.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:15 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Lots of good ideas from you guys, thanks!
Old 03-16-2018, 11:31 AM
Highplains
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 157 Posts

If I put these mirrors on, which seem like a good idea and don't like them, how difficult is it to get the mirror and adhesive off?

Get notified of new replies

To Stick-On Mirrors.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:31 PM
bankers1
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

OK, So the Volvo dose have a better side view mirror, standard, Got it, on a similar post a few weeks ago.
Got me thinking and I bought a Rectangular, "piviotable" 3M stick on in my upper outside corner of each mirror. Amazon $ 8. a pair...Can't loose. For that kind of big bucks I don't need proper alignment.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:27 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Mako72
Per Volvos80: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...pots-c7-2.html
Quote: Being from Europe, and having installed the convex European mirrors on my non-US made vehicles for years I was wondering what to do when I purchased my first US made car - the C7. Here is a great idea for all of you who have problems with blind spots. I purchased a Volvo XC90 European convex driver side mirror as they are much larger than the C7 mirrors. With a heat gun I removed the mirror glass from the plastic backing. I then used masking tape and covered the flat original mirror glass and cut out the masking tape to get an exact removable size which I placed in an appropriate position on the larger Volvo convex mirror glass. With a dremel tool I cut a good gouge all around the masking tape and then cracked piece by piece till I had the new convex glass sized to fit inside the original C7 plastic glass holder - removed the flat mirror glass with a heat gun of course. So I have a great one piece convex glass in the C7 driver side mirror. Also purchased a more convex piece of mirror glass for the driver side and did the same there. I have no blind spots and can drive much safer now than when the car was new. Easy to do for anyone. If you do not want to cut the glass yourself - give it to a glass-cutter and they will do it for a few dollars.

This could be a great winter project for anyone waiting for better times to cruise around with their C7.
Can you get the auto-dimming and heat to work with this setup?

Originally Posted by AORoads
Agree w. above underlined, but the '15 has a right-side full pano in-dash screen shot---very good!

"...If you haven't tried them on a C7, save some bandwidth..." Right, I haven't tried them on a C7 , but for my suv which already has big mirrors, I still get that my car merging onto a highway, with cars coming from the center lane-to-local lane, blind spot. For that I decided to try a windshield mounted, rectangular, suction cup mirror. It seems to work. As I "scan" from straight ahead to left mirror, I have the other mirror right in line, with but angled farther out than the driver's side can go. Is it as good as a round mirror ON the outside mirror itself? I don't know but at nite it seems to be for me. Just a thought, at about $14 or so from Amazon.
I'm not worried about you wasting bandwidth!
Do you have a link to see what your mirror looks like? I looked on Amazon and they have several that sound similar to yours but not sure which one(s).

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 03-16-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:49 PM
gavinvr4
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I got this from Amazon and it works great, no more guessing whenever I have to change lanes.
Amazon Amazon
raymax (03-28-2018)

Quick Reply: Stick-On Mirrors.