C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pads on 1980 question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 03:58 PM
sledgehammer16
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake pads on 1980 question

Hey guys been a long time!! I’m finally getting around to refreshing my 15 year old brakes on the 80’. I need some suggestions on what brake pads to buy. I need something with low brake dust and something reliable for street driving. I called a local shop and they wanted closer to $350 for a set, which I think is way too much. I also found some hawk hp street pads for $130 for the set but don’t know much about this company.
Also does anyone use the anti squeal kits? Do they work and how do they install?

Thanks
phil
Old 03-16-2018, 06:22 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by sledgehammer16
Hey guys been a long time!! I’m finally getting around to refreshing my 15 year old brakes on the 80’. I need some suggestions on what brake pads to buy. I need something with low brake dust and something reliable for street driving. I called a local shop and they wanted closer to $350 for a set, which I think is way too much. I also found some hawk hp street pads for $130 for the set but don’t know much about this company.
Also does anyone use the anti squeal kits? Do they work and how do they install?

Thanks
phil
hawk is a well known brand for brake pads. As for low dust, I think you need to get into the "Ceramic Street Brake Pads". I have Hawk HPS pads on my 2010 GS, they are not what I call low dust. Also note low dust usually also means poor braking distance.

As for spending $350 for all 4 wheels ? seems very high for street pads.

Other brands to check are carbotech, or for basic street pads similar to OEM, Napa brand or other local parts stores. (low cost)

If you want your corvette to stop like a sports car, brake dust is usually part of what you live with.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:35 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

napa ceramics i think are the lowest dust.
if they have them. not cheap

dust is part of the process of wear.
metalic/semi will create pits in things.

organic are nice pads.

never not been able to have good breaks with any combo/

squeal pad backing plus proper compound if you have trouble with squeal.
never had that myself.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:43 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Performance Friction Brake Pads!

I use them exclusively on all my cars including my 78 L-82 for the last 15 years as well as 3 other cars....They are simply the best stopping, quietest, long lasting and with zero brake dust pad I have ever used on any of my cars..........My Daughter's DD 2001 Grand Prix owned since new with 210,000 miles today on the engine/tranny has used 3 sets of front pads and 2 sets of rear pads in 210,000 miles of driving...the hotter they get, the better they stop.

http://pfcbrakes.com/products/brake-pads

Stops Quieter

CarbonMetallic® brake pads outperform all ceramic and semi-metallic pads in noise tests resulting in less than 1% noisy stops.

Stops Quicker

CarbonMetallic® brake pads deliver more stopping power throughout the operating temperature range, resulting in a firmer and more responsive pedal.

Lower Dust

CarbonMetallic® brake pads contain ZERO hazardous dust. (Click to learn more)

Last 4 times longer

CarbonMetallic® brake pads have a higher thermal threshold making them more resistant to wear than any other semi-metallic or ceramic pads during temperature range testing.

Last edited by jb78L-82; 03-16-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:28 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Performance Friction Brake Pads!

http://pfcbrakes.com/products/brake-pads
Hello jb78L-82,

I checked out the web site and was wondering what favorite vendor you use to purchase these pads from?
Old 03-16-2018, 07:41 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlackC3vette
Hello jb78L-82,

I checked out the web site and was wondering what favorite vendor you use to purchase these pads from?
https://www.topbrakes.com/c/series?s...FU6f4AodU0QAgg

I use the carbon metallics. I have never used the Z rated.......
The following users liked this post:
BlackC3vette (03-16-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 10:12 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

If you want a quality aftermarket pad I recommend the Carbotech 1521 pad. A low dust pad that is rotor friendly and performs like OEM and last longer. 100% non-corrosive dust will not harm your paint or wheels. This pad also contains NRS technology. Carbotech uses NRS technology on all C3, C4, C5, C6 & C7 front and rear brake pads.

Here is a link to explain further what NRS technology is exactly: http://www.nrsbrakes.com

If interested I will be happy to help you out or you can order online here http://ampdautosport.com/brake-pads/corvette/ Use promo code z28 at check out for your 5% discount.

Part numbers.
F: CT8
R: CT8

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
The following users liked this post:
Bikespace (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 11:56 PM
gg521
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

You can get Performance Friction pads at Autozone
Old 03-19-2018, 07:25 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gg521
You can get Performance Friction pads at Autozone
For a time autozone sold Performance Friction Carbon metallic pads but have not sold them for many years now. I just checked to be sure and Autozone does not sell PF brake pads.

As mentioned above you can get them here for the best price:

https://www.topbrakes.com/c/series?s...FU6f4AodU0QAgg

I use the carbon metallics. I have never used the Z rated.......

Last edited by jb78L-82; 03-19-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pads on 1980 question

Quick Reply: Brake pads on 1980 question