C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone actually been denied warranty because of a catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 04:58 PM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Has anyone actually been denied warranty because of a catch can?

Please don't take this as an invitation to argue the pros and cons of an oil catch can on a DI engine. Been there, done that, ad nauseam.

I'm simply looking to find out if any of you have actually been denied a warranty claim because you installed a catch can. If so, what were the particulars?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 03-17-2018, 12:56 AM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

nobody??
Old 03-17-2018, 01:04 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by DrDyno
nobody??
Don’t read too much into no responses yet. The sample size of owners here is very small compared to the number sold, regardless of generation.
The following users liked this post:
Avanti (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 01:07 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I don't know what you were expecting to see here. First, engine failures are very rare, and that's the only time a catch can would attract any attention. Second, anyone who installed one would probably have enough common sense to remove it before flat-bedding the car to a dealer after engine failure.
Avanti (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 02:10 AM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Foosh
I don't know what you were expecting to see here. First, engine failures are very rare, and that's the only time a catch can would attract any attention. Second, anyone who installed one would probably have enough common sense to remove it before flat-bedding the car to a dealer after engine failure.
Respectfully... most, if not all, Oil Catch Can threads I've followed start with a discussion of the possible benefits derived from using a catch can to reduce intake valve coking with DI engines. However, they almost always devolve into a series of warnings relative to engine warranties.

What I am hoping to see here (to answer your question) is the experience of someone who has actually taken their catch can equipped C7 in for servicing (of any kind) and been told their catch can voids their warranty.

Since the need to reduce coking of the intake valves seems to be a no brainer and... since the latest 1LE Camaros are catch can equipped ("Chevrolet Performance Positive Crankcase Vent Oil Separator Kit") and... I'm beginning to wonder if the whole warranty issue isn't just an urban myth.

Hence, the topic of this thread: Has anyone actually had their warranty voided because they installed a catch can?
Old 03-17-2018, 06:53 AM
BobFic
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

What Foosh said....
Second, anyone who installed one would probably have enough common sense to remove it before flat-bedding the car to a dealer after engine failure.
Hence...no replies....Why run the risk and have your warranty voided and or get blocked, as were aware..granted the Dealer can be your friend or not, and possibly use it against you.
I have catch can from my SS Camaro, I won't install it till my warranty expires, I just don't want to play monopoly.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:23 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Can't answer your question directly as I have not had engine issues on my 2014 Z51 with it's "catch can" or my current Grand Sport, which has the same "Elite Can" that I removed from my Z51! In fact have found the "improved" PCV system on the Grand Sport is collecting only about 25% of the oil as the Z51! GM is returning some of the blowby, oil particles from spinning crank and rods, burnt oil spray that hits the hot pistons and other "stuff," back into the oil pan! But there is still some going into the intake past those hot intake valves!

I would defend my install since it is a "one exit hose system" and installed properly. It has no need for a check valve etc, that can be installed incorrectly. It just sits in place of the original PCV hose. If you have a two hose system, drilled a hole in the air intake tube and don't install the check valve in the correct direction that will take air from the intake tube, just pass it through the 'can' directly to the intake manifold. That would bypass the PCV system!

There were posts where a manufacturer who only sells a two hose exit system from the can and pre-installs the check valve. Some were installed backward! That would be grounds for voiding warranty!

I have been successful in defending a cracked clutch pressure plate on a ~6 month old Chevy and an AC condenser on my C6 that was initially rejected because it "could be caused by a rock!" I also got my 260Z differential replaced on Datsun's dime two months after the warranty was up (long story!) so would be confident I would be successful if needed.

But as others have said, if I had time would I consider removing the "can?" Perhaps-took 10 minutes to remove from my Z51 and I have saved the OEM PCV hose!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-17-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:49 AM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

No. My warranty is still intact. So is my 'catch can'. Some things in life will cause me to lose sleep.. THIS isn't one of them...
JerryU (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 11:16 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

You can add a "catch can" effect by simply enlarging the hoses that connect pcv to intake manifold from valve cover. Using convoluted tubing gives 'places' for oil to collect if that is the issue.

you dont need a 'can'. The can part is just for looking at, i.e. dress up. OEM have been using convoluted 'catch line' on OEM turbo setups since 1980's

If the engine is blowing oil out the other valve cover (fresh air inlet side) this isn't a valve coking issue, its a blown seal/engine/bottom end issue.
In this case a can only functions to collect oil until the engine can be repaired. So you dont need or want this can on this side anyways.

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 03-17-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:34 AM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Received 411 Likes on 251 Posts

I've never been denied a warranty claim on any modded car, as long as the aftermarket part did not cause a warranty issue. I currently have a supercharger, intake, headers, a tune, X pipe, exhaust and catch can and haven't had an issue. I recently had a couple injectors replaced under warranty as well as the MRC update done at no cost and had no problem.

If I was going to mod a car, I made sure I did a little reconnaissance and felt out a service advisor so to speak to see if they were mod friendly. The advisor I see on my car is a Vette guy himself and that goes a long way imo. Every dealer may be different but from personal experience, talking to an advisor before you take your car in has served me well so maybe chat with an advisor and see if you get a good feel for how they view modded cars.
The following 3 users liked this post by MikeinAZ:
DrDyno (03-17-2018), JerryU (03-17-2018), JimNeedsC7 (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 12:11 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

What I am hoping to see here (to answer your question) is the experience of someone who has actually taken their catch can equipped C7 in for servicing (of any kind) and been told their catch can voids their warranty.
As I said, the answer is no. As independent business, dealers don't care. They want to get paid for warranty service. However, GM makes the decision on engine failure coverage, so as I said, that's the ONLY time it MIGHT factor in to a warranty coverage decision.

If they happen to notice a catch can while replacing your alternator, or changing your oil, they won't care. Mods only cause problems when warranty coverage is being claimed on the modified system.

You see what you've done now? You've got Jerry all wound up again on this subject and cutting/pasting his prepared dissertations again.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-17-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:34 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
You can add a "catch can" effect by simply enlarging the hoses that connect pcv to intake manifold from valve cover. Using convoluted tubing gives 'places' for oil to collect if that is the issue.

you dont need a 'can'. The can part is just for looking at, i.e. dress up. OEM have been using convoluted 'catch line' on OEM turbo setups since 1980's
Hmm, adding a "long larger hose" so the oil, "has a place to go" could cause a warranty issue! The "can" is being added in replace of the C7 PCV hose that goes directly from the crackcase to the intake manifold. This is NOT like the 502/502 big block in my street rod pulling PCV blowby and stuff from a valve cover through a PCV valve into the intake manifold!

Oil collected in the "large longer hose" could block flow through the PCV system!
Pic is what a proper catch can does!

This is a quality "can" schematic. Oil, burnt oil (that hits the hot pistons from a spinning crank,) and other "stuff" comes in the top from the crankcase through coarse, low restriction stainless steel ribbon and the drops of oil and vapor combine on that surface and fall to the bottom. The remainder of vapor goes out the top hose to the intake manifold (some to bake on the hot intake valves!) You MUST empty the collected oil periodically or it could block the proper PCV flow!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-17-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:43 PM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Based upon "MikeinAZ's" experience, "Foosh's" business insights and "JerryU's" dogged legal acumen, I am coming to the conclusion that adding a Catch Can will not automatically void my engine warranty.

Since I don't want to be worrying about pulling out a catch can system every time I have my car serviced (still on CPO warranty) and, based upon MikeinAZ's recommendation, I'll give my local Service Manger a call and report back.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:45 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeinAZ
...... I recently had a couple injectors replaced under warranty as well as the MRC update done at no cost and had no problem.......
Do I read this correctly that you managed to get the MRC update done at no cost?
Old 03-17-2018, 01:14 PM
BobFic
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Based upon "MikeinAZ's" experience, "Foosh's" business insights and "JerryU's" dogged legal acumen, I am coming to the conclusion that adding a Catch Can will not automatically void my engine warranty.

Since I don't want to be worrying about pulling out a catch can system every time I have my car serviced (still on CPO warranty) and, based upon MikeinAZ's recommendation, I'll give my local Service Manger a call and report back.
If you get the approval that it's not an issue, make sure you get in writing
for me that would be a signed document... just saying
Old 03-17-2018, 01:26 PM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

If the dealer is close, stop by and talk to them, I feel it goes further than a phone call. This is a relationship you want to develop, that's how I view it anyway. I want this service advisor in my corner if/when I need to bring my car in. I have peace of mind having modded my car, I enjoy the mods and also knowing I can still go to get warranty work if needed.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:29 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Hmm, adding a "long larger hose" so the oil, "has a place to go" could cause a warranty issue! The "can" is being added in replace of the C7 PCV hose that goes directly from the crackcase to the intake manifold. This is NOT like the 502/502 big block in my street rod pulling PCV blowby and stuff from a valve cover through a PCV valve into the intake manifold!

Oil collected in the "large longer hose" could block flow through the PCV system!
Pic is what a proper catch can does!

This is a quality "can" schematic. Oil, burnt oil (that hits the hot pistons from a spinning crank,) and other "stuff" comes in the top from the crankcase through coarse, low restriction stainless steel ribbon and the drops of oil and vapor combine on that surface and fall to the bottom. The remainder of vapor goes out the top hose to the intake manifold (some to bake on the hot intake valves!) You MUST empty the collected oil periodically or it could block the proper PCV flow!
You are missing the point. A can is only necessary when there is a problem. It isn't a part that comes on the car from the factory because there is no excuse to ever need one in a new car. You are looking at this issue backwards or upside down, it isn't a can we need to collect oil which needs to be periodically emptied that the factory forgot to install. Its a healthy engine and well maintained pcv system that we need instead. Once you pass that into "poorly maintained / unhealthy engine" territory now you have two options: repair the engine or bandaid it. The catch can is the bandaid. It temporarily allows the engine to stay in service while the owner makes plans to remedy the real problem. It shouldn't be a permanent fixture in a typical engine bay and when I see one it immediately tells half a story.

You have to look at the application and how it is connected for the other half, a can on the intake vacuum side on an otherwise healthy engine tells me that the factory baffle in the valvecover is inadequate (this happens to certain Honda engines when owner raise redlines and output for example, engine is healthy but it starts passing oil to the intake because the valvecover baffle fills with oil). In that case I would be removing and modifying the factory baffle, as opposed to adding an ugly external can which I need to periodically empty. In the Honda application I just mentioned the owners are drilling holes to improve oil return from the baffle. Some OEM manufacturers on turbo engine (nissan/toyota) saw a potential for this scenario and include drainback hoses that lead directly to the oil pan (as opposed to trying to catch the oil in a can) as catching it would never be an acceptable solution in an OEM application.

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 03-17-2018 at 01:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone actually been denied warranty because of a catch can?

Old 03-17-2018, 01:33 PM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Skidplate
Do I read this correctly that you managed to get the MRC update done at no cost?
I did, and not to hijack this thread here but in a nutshell, I simply printed off the service bulletin or whatever it was in one of the first threads started on that topic. I told the advisor that guys on the forum were getting it done for free although the language in that bulletin leaves a grey area on that topic. He wrote it up as 'MRC not functioning correctly' and they downloaded the new software for free, no questions asked. Hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:10 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Since the need to reduce coking of the intake valves seems to be a no brainer and... since the latest 1LE Camaros are catch can equipped ("Chevrolet Performance Positive Crankcase Vent Oil Separator Kit") and... I'm beginning to wonder if the whole warranty issue isn't just an urban myth.
Since your statement above sent this thread down the path you claimed you weren't interested in going down, I'll say 3 last things:

1) There is no evidence that a catch can helps eliminate valve coking on the LT1 or LT4. Even if there were a valve coking problem, there's no evidence that catch cans eliminate the problem. The cause is not completely understood, except that top of valve washing doesn't occur as in port injection, BUT it's NOT a proven fact that it's caused by oil in the intake.

2) There is no evidence, yet, of valve coking issues on the LT1 or LT4. GM long-term testing has torn down engines well over that mileage, without seeing evidence of a valve coking problems hindering engine performance. We have a number of members here w/ engines at or over 100K miles without catch cans and without valve problems.

3) The dry sump system on the LT1/4 performs essentially the same functions as the Camaro system you referred to above, per an Ask Tadge answer on the subject.

To me, that's the "no-brainer" part. You probably aren't hurting a thing by adding one, but there's no evidence you're accomplishing anything positive either.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-17-2018 at 03:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
JimNeedsC7 (03-17-2018), vettetwo (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 03:23 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

You see what you've done now? You've got Jerry all wound up again on this subject and cutting/pasting his prepared dissertations again.

Now thats funny right there!! Poor Jerry! I find his posts informative AND entertaining!

Quick Reply: Has anyone actually been denied warranty because of a catch can?