Sponsored by:

Just got done with Ron Fellows.....wow

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 02:22 PM
neogenesis
Burning Brakes

Received 602 Likes on 253 Posts
Default Just got done with Ron Fellows.....wow

So I just wanted to post some of my thoughts about the Corvette Owner’s school at Spring Mountain while things were still fresh.

Forst and foremost, if you are even remotely thinking about doing it, DO IT! If you aren’t thinking about doing it, START! It really is a great experience. The caveat to that is if you already have track experience, it’s probably not the class for you.

For me personally, it was the first time I had ever been on track and it was an amazing experience. Things I took away:
1) What I thought I knew about performance driving was not the answer. They do a great job teaching you basic ideas and concepts and working you up to them with exercises to help you enforce the good things we already do everyday as well as change the mindset of the way we do certain things (ie braking) as pertains to performance driving.
2) The limits of this car FAR exceed what you think. That is definitely reinforced when you do the ride alongs. To actually start to experience the car rotating in a turn, to see the application of steering/brake/throttle to maximize speed and grip is eye opening and definitely made my subsequent laps smoother and by default faster. To that end, I’m glad I own at stingray and not a Z06. You will NEVER reach the limits of this car on the street. EVER. PERIOD. At least not in a safe (or legal) manner. The course has actually made me want to not mess around on the street as you start to realize that a big problem with street driving is unpredictability. Sure, I can take that curve at 80+, but I don’t know if an obstacle has not found its way there.
3) Rick Malone and all the instructors are great. They are really friendly and make the whole class enjoyable. They will not push you beyond your comfort level (although they may encourage you heavily) and they are really interested in teaching, giving feedback and making sure that you’re actually enjoying yourself. If you do well, they will continue to let you push and push and push until they see you exceeding your abilities and then they will reel you back in and help you fix things. The instant feedback over the radios is very useful, even when you’re not the first car in line.
4) If you want to just learn more about your new C7 and how some of the functions work, they go through that with class time. And don’t be afraid to ask questions, they are more than happy to answer them.
5) The facility is very nice and the condos are great. I stayed the night before the class as well and I’m glad I did as it’s a bit of a drive from Vegas if you were thinking about staying there the night before. The breakfast and lunch both days is good and there’s lent to drink throughout the day (very important in summer I would imagine)
6) They run the class rain or shine (or in our case, a little bit of hale/sleet). But the temperatures were actually great. Cool on the morning, Warming to 60’s by mid day. Great conditions for the track and comfortable inside the cars.

Im sure I’ll think of other things as they come up but feel free to ask any questions and I’ll answer as best I can. In the meantime, I have to go catch a flight back to reality 😞.
The following 20 users liked this post by neogenesis:
3Draceteam (03-19-2018), blkvet6 (03-20-2018), blue max (03-19-2018), DAC17 (03-17-2018), DWS44 (03-17-2018), Foosh (03-17-2018), GTs 58 (03-18-2018), jimmbbo (03-17-2018), LeManscoupe05 (03-18-2018), Mcrider (03-28-2018), MikeinAZ (03-17-2018), pdpratt (03-20-2018), Perf n Restore (03-19-2018), ralexand (03-18-2018), Ros (03-29-2018), Silver C7 (03-19-2018), Soonere39 (03-18-2018), SouthOCBoy (03-19-2018), vetteorama (03-17-2018), ZedMaximus (03-19-2018) and 15 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-17-2018, 02:27 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 587 Likes on 518 Posts

Yup 100% loved my experience. Want to do it again..

It was a sad day when I was driving home from the resort.

-Josh
The following users liked this post:
blue max (03-19-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 02:29 PM
neogenesis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MerakiAutoworks
Yup 100% loved my experience. Want to do it again..

It was a sad day when I was driving home from the resort.

-Josh
Yeah, especially as I pulled away in my Nissan Sentra rental car 😩
Old 03-17-2018, 02:39 PM
obwahn
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Totally concur.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:00 PM
JDMilw
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Going next month 17-18. Looking forward to the experience!
Old 03-17-2018, 03:02 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by neogenesis

Yeah, especially as I pulled away in my Nissan Sentra rental car 😩
I well remember my drive back to Vegas in my rental, a Chevy Sonic.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:04 PM
neogenesis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JDMilw
Going next month 17-18. Looking forward to the experience!
Enjoy! You’re gonna have a blast.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:22 PM
CT Grand Sport CE
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Went twice last year and going back in July for Level 1.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:46 PM
neogenesis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CT Grand Sport CE
I definitely got the bug and am starting to look at an opportunity to go back. Rick said I should consider going straight to Level 2, so I’m gonna weigh which way I’d want to go.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:56 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

These posts keep getting me more and more amped up for my trip out there in early May!
Old 03-17-2018, 05:01 PM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

So I just wanted to post some of my thoughts about the Corvette Owner’s school at Spring Mountain while things were still fresh.

Forst and foremost, if you are even remotely thinking about doing it, DO IT! If you aren’t thinking about doing it, START! It really is a great experience. The caveat to that is if you already have track experience, it’s probably not the class for you.

For me personally, it was the first time I had ever been on track and it was an amazing experience. Things I took away:
1) What I thought I knew about performance driving was not the answer. They do a great job teaching you basic ideas and concepts and working you up to them with exercises to help you enforce the good things we already do everyday as well as change the mindset of the way we do certain things (ie braking) as pertains to performance driving.
2) The limits of this car FAR exceed what you think. That is definitely reinforced when you do the ride alongs. To actually start to experience the car rotating in a turn, to see the application of steering/brake/throttle to maximize speed and grip is eye opening and definitely made my subsequent laps smoother and by default faster. To that end, I’m glad I own at stingray and not a Z06. You will NEVER reach the limits of this car on the street. EVER. PERIOD. At least not in a safe (or legal) manner. The course has actually made me want to not mess around on the street as you start to realize that a big problem with street driving is unpredictability. Sure, I can take that curve at 80+, but I don’t know if an obstacle has not found its way there.
3) Rick Malone and all the instructors are great. They are really friendly and make the whole class enjoyable. They will not push you beyond your comfort level (although they may encourage you heavily) and they are really interested in teaching, giving feedback and making sure that you’re actually enjoying yourself. If you do well, they will continue to let you push and push and push until they see you exceeding your abilities and then they will reel you back in and help you fix things. The instant feedback over the radios is very useful, even when you’re not the first car in line.
4) If you want to just learn more about your new C7 and how some of the functions work, they go through that with class time. And don’t be afraid to ask questions, they are more than happy to answer them.
5) The facility is very nice and the condos are great. I stayed the night before the class as well and I’m glad I did as it’s a bit of a drive from Vegas if you were thinking about staying there the night before. The breakfast and lunch both days is good and there’s lent to drink throughout the day (very important in summer I would imagine)
6) They run the class rain or shine (or in our case, a little bit of hale/sleet). But the temperatures were actually great. Cool on the morning, Warming to 60’s by mid day. Great conditions for the track and comfortable inside the cars.

Im sure I’ll think of other things as they come up but feel free to ask any questions and I’ll answer as best I can. In the meantime, I have to go catch a flight back to reality 😞.
thank you and the your classmates for coming out!
yes, we had a bit of crazy weather a couple of the days huh?
please don't hesitate to write/email us your experience, and any feedback for our program, anytime!
hope you can make it back out for the next class.

The Official Performance Driving School Of Corvette
www.racespringmountain.com
victor@racespringmountain.com
800-391-6891

Bruce0293 (03-25-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 05:01 PM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by CT Grand Sport CE
awesome!
nice avatar by the way!
Old 03-17-2018, 05:53 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I definitely got the bug and am starting to look at an opportunity to go back. Rick said I should consider going straight to Level 2, so I’m gonna weigh which way I’d want to go.
It's pretty clear you're pumped and now have the bug. If your instructors put you in the top group in the owner's course, and suggested you go straight to the Level 2, that's exactly what you should do.

Based upon my experience, that's amazing X4. Great write-up, BTW. You nailed all the most salient points.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-17-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:16 PM
HOCKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

I can't wait for it
Old 03-17-2018, 10:36 PM
HOCKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

How was the resort and staying there
Old 03-17-2018, 10:45 PM
vxplt
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I was at a ride and drive many years ago in Las Vegas. We had Bobby Rahal and Scott Pruitt as our Drivers. First you get to drive the course for 3 laps and than your ‘designated’ Race Car driver did 3 laps with us in the Passenger front seat.
I was paired with Bobby Rahal and I must say that I thought I was driving “on the limit” on my laps, little did I know that I wasn’t even close! Bobby set me straight that day in a big way, the way Race Car drivers approach driving makes us look laughable...😉
BTW, the Car choice was a Corvette, Porsche and a Ferrari... I did mine in the Corvette...😀
Old 03-18-2018, 01:43 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

That's really cool. Thanks for sharing. I really, really want to do this. I've had the pleasure of doing some track days with instructors in one of my old cars, but nothing remotely on this level (the car or the event). Maybe for my 40th birthday...

Get notified of new replies

To Just got done with Ron Fellows.....wow

Old 03-18-2018, 03:01 AM
Tex Vette
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Going to spring mountain tomorrow afternoon

We flew into Las Vegas yesterday am. Driving up to Spring Mountain tomorrow by way of Red Rock Canyon. Can’t wait till Monday am comes to start my 2 days at Ron Fellows. I will also post after my experience there.
Looks like the weather is going to be perfect.
socalspringmountain (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 04:01 AM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

One of the best few days ever!
I wish I lived closer I would go all the time!
obwahn (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 04:27 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,276 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for sharing your experience there.

Quick Reply: Just got done with Ron Fellows.....wow