C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 front fenders are these NOS or repo

Old 03-18-2018, 02:06 PM
crosskeystv
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 65 front fenders are these NOS or repo

I am showing pictures of new inner fenders for my 65, I believe both are nos but question the right? Not for sale, but want to confirm before I install on my car,
the views I am showing are basically the only part you can see once installed
[IMG]https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/2000x1124/80-65_left_nos_03862d7ab64f
cb2aa8f0ae46e9cd82f555d43ce4.jpg[/IMG]

Do I have good repos or GM originals?

Last edited by crosskeystv; 03-18-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Seeing how you only posted one photo...I would have to say YES.

Are there any raised numbers of words that were also cast into the part???

When these pats were made...they used steel dies and a press that applied MAJOR pressure...so the 'crispness' of the part can be seen and be detected from that if those press molded parts that other companies make their parts from that use fiberglass molds....which CAN NOT take the pressure as a steel die can.

So the 90 degree bends in the panel of a GM part are much more defined and thus...'crisper'...versus the other companies.

I am looking at the three vents in your fender and where the pocket comes away from the flat panel....that 90 degree bend looks pretty crisp to me....and really uniform.

DUB
Old 03-18-2018, 07:31 PM
crosskeystv
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
Seeing how you only posted one photo...I would have to say YES.

Are there any raised numbers of words that were also cast into the part???

When these pats were made...they used steel dies and a press that applied MAJOR pressure...so the 'crispness' of the part can be seen and be detected from that if those press molded parts that other companies make their parts from that use fiberglass molds....which CAN NOT take the pressure as a steel die can.

So the 90 degree bends in the panel of a GM part are much more defined and thus...'crisper'...versus the other companies.

I am looking at the three vents in your fender and where the pocket comes away from the flat panel....that 90 degree bend looks pretty crisp to me....and really uniform.

DUB
thank you for your response, I just posted the 2nd photo, My one question was with the right side the inside louvers appear gray, I think the gray is resin? Not gel coat, but wasn't sure? That is what made me think it was maybe a reproduction?
Both panels have the correct gm part numbers on them

Last edited by crosskeystv; 03-18-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:33 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,947 Posts

That one fender does look funny in the louver area - I would guess it's a bit rich in resin there.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:46 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If its that hard to tell, do you really care ?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:22 AM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,041 Likes on 573 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

They look more like the new panels made by America’s finest in California. Very high-quality and they make them in that color. I’ve been buying fiberglass panel since the late 60s and even in 1971 65 panels from GM were black. Before that they were either tan, pink, green or light gray. So if there are real NOS they been around since 65 68.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:38 AM
Mark Lovejoy
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

They also look like the Sermersheim (sp?) panels I bought in November of '04 when we were restoring the '65.

Last edited by Mark Lovejoy; 03-19-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:11 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by crosskeystv
I am showing pictures of new inner fenders for my 65, I believe both are nos but question the right? Not for sale, but want to confirm before I install on my car,
the views I am showing are basically the only part you can see once installed
[IMG]https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/2000x1124/80-65_left_nos_03862d7ab64f
cb2aa8f0ae46e9cd82f555d43ce4.jpg[/IMG]

Do I have good repos or GM originals?

IMHO, Sermersheims (now Lee Bumb Composites) made the SAFEST panels as far as fit and paint durability was concerned. All of their panels are resin "rich" which means that the glass strands are completely covered with resin and not visible like yours, original panels, and some other reproductions.

Be careful, because your panels COULD be from Corvette Image. If so I would not use them. There was a long period when they used silicone mold release agent with subsequent blistering of paint occurred. No amount of drying, soaking with acetone and application of extra gelcoat would solve the problem. Contaminated through and through.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 03-19-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:16 AM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

The side panels in your picture are definitely are not made by Sermersheim, Their panels contain way too much resin and there is no Grain on the inside like a NOS or Panels made by America’s finest. I also agree I would never use panels made by corvette Image. Had way too many paint jobs blister with their junk panels on.

Last edited by 65 Pro Vette; 03-19-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:18 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I have a 61 all of the panels are a blond color. I bought an NOS lower nose and it looks exactly like your second pic. I'm 100% certain it was NOS as it still has a Rockwell international sticker on it. I agree with Dub the repo stuff wouldn't be that sharp in the corners. The pics that Mike L posted the panels are gelcoated. Yours don't appear to be.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
The side panels in your picture are definitely are not made by Sermersheim, Their panels contain way too much resin and there is no Grain on the inside like a NOS or Panels made by America’s finest. I also agree I would never use panels made by corvette Image. Had way too many paint jobs blister with their junk panels on.
There was a problem with the mold release agent on CI panels that caused paint blistering later on - those problems are long since gone.

It still keeps even top bodymen from using them (my guy wouldn't). Sometimes past sins can haunt a product line long past the resolution of the problem
Old 03-19-2018, 04:49 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Can you read the part number in both panels or just the one?

Last edited by 65 Pro Vette; 03-19-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:06 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
There was a problem with the mold release agent on CI panels that caused paint blistering later on - those problems are long since gone.

It still keeps even top bodymen from using them (my guy wouldn't). Sometimes past sins can haunt a product line long past the resolution of the problem
They never made good for the damage that they caused many people. They only offered replacement panels free of charge. They wouldn't pay for any necessary costs for labor and other materials needed to redo the jobs that were damaged by their defective panels. Not to mention time wasted in laying up cars a second time.

Were you personally affected by their defective products?
Old 03-19-2018, 05:59 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
They never made good for the damage that they caused many people. They only offered replacement panels free of charge. They wouldn't pay for any necessary costs for labor and other materials needed to redo the jobs that were damaged by their defective panels. Not to mention time wasted in laying up cars a second time.

Were you personally affected by their defective products?
No.... I had a long discussion with David Sokolowski about repro panels and he turned out to be a fan of the current CI products (this is about 18 months ago). Some here may know David. When I suggested those to my bodyman (48 years experience) there was projectile vomiting.

He experienced exactly what you describe about 8-10 years back, a customer's paint job went south because of CI issues and they were no help so he had to eat the cost of the repair....he's refused to use the products ever since

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-19-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I still feel that these are GM panels. Just because one is a bit rich in the resin does not make it to where it would not pass quality control and be sold. Keep in mind ..when they made these...they were not worried about what judges would think later on. just saying.

And like I wrote and others have also commented on...the crispness of the part kinda tell me they were made using steel dies.

There is a company that is making the top hood surrounds and other parts and using steel dies and I have seen the top hood surround personally. They are a dead give away and they are JUST LIKE factory panels....because the other top hood surrounds I have used in the past...just do not have the very crisp contours/angles like the facotry ones have....and for me...are a dead give away.

Taking a photo of the lower fender behind the wheel where the rocker panel attaches would also be a great help due to that complex series of curves and bends would also let you know if the panel was made in fiberglass molds or steel dies.

In my opinion...I agree that that these are NOT Lee Bumb Composites parts. I have worked with them and they do not look like anything like this.

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

And many members can now wonder why I did not give the name of the company..... that we all know..... that screwed up rear rotors in a thread I started just letting people to just be aware of what they are getting done. Because IF I had.... it would NEVER be forgotten...even decades later when the problem no longer exists.

I have used and will still use Corvette Image fiberglass and have not had any problems.

And for what this is worth. From when I started doing Corvette repairs all the way up to today. I have lost count on parts and materials that have failed. 99.5% of the time they will replace the defective part and pay no labor claims. On defective materials such as paint/adhesives ....it is toss up on IF they will pay a labor claim. Because as we all know that paint company will do all they can to protect themselves and NOT assume liability and then have it get out there that there is a problem....thus causing an avalanche of claims.

And many of the parts/materials I had had bite me in the backside and caused me to have to do something all over again. I am often times apprehensive on using them again only to get burned again. If I do use them again and they fail again...then I will not use it again and try to find an alternative if possible.

I am not trying to make light of the issue that occurred with CI a long time ago....because it seemed to effect many people. And if you are reading this and you are one of those who were effected...I hate it for you. But there are many things that we all count to last that can fail. Such as polyurethane bushings (for example)...so all we can do is HOPE that whet we get now-a-days is what it needs to be so it will last.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
csherman (03-20-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 07:10 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
I still feel that these are GM panels. Just because one is a bit rich in the resin does not make it to where it would not pass quality control and be sold. Keep in mind ..when they made these...they were not worried about what judges would think later on. just saying.

And like I wrote and others have also commented on...the crispness of the part kinda tell me they were made using steel dies.

There is a company that is making the top hood surrounds and other parts and using steel dies and I have seen the top hood surround personally. They are a dead give away and they are JUST LIKE factory panels....because the other top hood surrounds I have used in the past...just do not have the very crisp contours/angles like the facotry ones have....and for me...are a dead give away.

Taking a photo of the lower fender behind the wheel where the rocker panel attaches would also be a great help due to that complex series of curves and bends would also let you know if the panel was made in fiberglass molds or steel dies.

In my opinion...I agree that that these are NOT Lee Bumb Composites parts. I have worked with them and they do not look like anything like this.

And many members can now wonder why I did not give the name of the company..... that we all know..... that screwed up rear rotors in a thread I started just letting people to just be aware of what they are getting done. Because IF I had.... it would NEVER be forgotten...even decades later when the problem no longer exists.

I have used and will still use Corvette Image fiberglass and have not had any problems.

And for what this is worth. From when I started doing Corvette repairs all the way up to today. I have lost count on parts and materials that have failed. 99.5% of the time they will replace the defective part and pay no labor claims. On defective materials such as paint/adhesives ....it is toss up on IF they will pay a labor claim. Because as we all know that paint company will do all they can to protect themselves and NOT assume liability and then have it get out there that there is a problem....thus causing an avalanche of claims.

And many of the parts/materials I had had bite me in the backside and caused me to have to do something all over again. I am often times apprehensive on using them again only to get burned again. If I do use them again and they fail again...then I will not use it again and try to find an alternative if possible.

I am not trying to make light of the issue that occurred with CI a long time ago....because it seemed to effect many people. And if you are reading this and you are one of those who were effected...I hate it for you. But there are many things that we all count to last that can fail. Such as polyurethane bushings (for example)...so all we can do is HOPE that whet we get now-a-days is what it needs to be so it will last.

DUB
there’s a part number on the left one but I don’t see a part number on the right one and that’s the one the suspect.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:06 PM
crosskeystv
Racer

Default extra pictures

Originally Posted by DUB

DUB
Please review these, part number is hard to see with camera

Get notified of new replies

To 65 front fenders are these NOS or repo

Old 03-19-2018, 10:50 PM
65-396
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

While these may or may not be NOS, they are not original because '65 panels were "blonde" in color.,
Old 03-19-2018, 11:20 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65-396
While these may or may not be NOS, they are not original because '65 panels were "blonde" in color.,
like this? This is been in my garage for 45 years.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:09 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,421 Likes on 734 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
I also agree I would never use panels made by corvette Image. Had way too many paint jobs blister with their junk panels on.
Corvette Image problem has been solved a long long time ago - There are MANY MANY MANY TOP restorers using their panels and front ends. Including me. There are lots of TOP FLIGHT and Bloomington Gold cars with Corvette Image panels and front ends. Gerry is a great person and provides an excellent service. In fact a 57 front end in on a car built by Kingdigit. http://www.kindigit.com/gallery/57-corvette/ - A TOP builder in the country.
Crucifying a product for past sins is like says all Fords are bad because of the Pinto. That is small minded and misguided thinking. Especially when they have changed. Most of the panels you buy from Paragon and Corvette Central come from Corvette Image.

Last edited by csherman; 03-20-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 65 front fenders are these NOS or repo