C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Method Of Flushing Just The Engine Block???

Old 03-20-2018, 12:21 AM
Tmichaelson
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 135 Posts

Default Method Of Flushing Just The Engine Block???

Car: 1966 327ci L79.
Objective: Flush JUST the engine block without starting engine. Coolant currently drained.
Reason: Now have radiator OUT . I have a new Dewitt’s radiator ready to install. I do not want to do a “normal” engine running system flush after installation causing engine block scale /contaminants to run through new radiator and other new non contaminated heating and cooling components.
Situation: Old coolant drained years ago and engine not run due to repairs. NEW radiator and NEW heater hoses are disconnected. NEW water pump installed. New heater core.
QUESTION: Can I “effectively” flush just the engine block of scale and contaminants by running a water hose flow through the thermostat entry point thus exiting the lower water pump hose connection??? Is there any and coolant system flushing enhancing solution that I should add to the flush???

THANKS for your consideration and valued advice.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:46 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

normally, there are also small pipe plugs on the lower sides of the block that can be taken out too. if so you can poke around in there with something flexible to loosen and flush anything laying down low in the block.

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 03-20-2018 at 03:54 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:59 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

The answer to your question is yes, remove the block drain plugs as mentioned above and plug the remaining openings so water will drain out through the block plugs. IMO, that will be more than sufficient to ensure everything is clean enough and it's about all you can really do, it will be fine.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:06 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I doubt you'll get much of anything out by sticking a hose in the thermostat opening and trying to flush out of the water pump.

If it was me, I'd pour the cooling system full of white vinegar after I tied the top/bottom radiator outlets together. Let it sit awhile and then start the engine to agitate it and get it hot. Let it cool and repeat. Takes a couple of days to work. Drain the block out through the two bottom plugs above the pan rail and flush well with plenty of water. The holes in the bottom of the block will probably be plugged so you'll have to poke around to clear them.

Even better is oxalic acid (wood bleach) and washing powder. It used to be sold as cooling system flush. It works the same as vinegar only much quicker.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:07 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

just run the garden hose thru the heater core and block openings till you get clean water

Last edited by dmaxx3500; 03-20-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:58 AM
Vettegeezer
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
normally, there are also small pipe plugs on the lower sides of the block that can be taken out too. if so you can poke around in there with something flexible to loosen and flush anything laying down low in the block.

Bill
Be for-warned that these two pipe thread plugs can be extremely hard to remove. They are made of steel, 3/8" pipe thread, and, from memory, about 9/16" hex. Use a 6-point socket and 1/2" breaker bar. I had to use an additional 2-ft. of pipe on the handle to break mine loose! I had to get at mine from the top of the engine as there was no good way for getting at them from the bottom unless you have the car on a lift. Had to use so much torque that I thought I was going to strip the hex off of the plug!
Also, saw on TV recently that a company (I think it is Evapo-Rust), is making a coolant descaler that you pour into the engine, run it for a few minutes, and drain the system. I can't remember the exact name of the product, but check with your local parts store - they may be able to guide you to the right product.
Phil
Old 03-20-2018, 11:47 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The only true way to get rid of the corrosion of years in the block recesses is to PULL the motor, knock out the freeze plugs and poke around to get into the corners as much as you can, and maybe steam clean with a hi temp pressure washer in all those openings. Otherwise you're just whistling dixie.

And nix on the solvent/vinegar soak unless you want to dissolve or soften gasket material and perhaps get future problems with leaks.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:46 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 550 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Vettegeezer
They are made of steel, 3/8" pipe thread, and, from memory, about 9/16" hex.
Phil
They are 1/4" pipe plugs and I replace with brass ones.
And I agree they can be a real pain to get out sometimes.
Joe
Old 03-21-2018, 12:04 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by plaidside
They are 1/4" pipe plugs and I replace with brass ones.
And I agree they can be a real pain to get out sometimes.
Joe
What does the brass do for you Joe ? I would think its softer and would deform more easily.

BTW - somebody had replaced those plugs with radiator-style petcocks on my '61...
Old 03-21-2018, 01:25 PM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Brass won't rust in like steel will. I agonized over the issue and went with stainless steel with anti-seize. Teflon tape would probably be OK, too.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:33 PM
benrep
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 51 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Default Engine flush.

Originally Posted by Tmichaelson
Car: 1966 327ci L79.
Objective: Flush JUST the engine block without starting engine. Coolant currently drained.
Reason: Now have radiator OUT . I have a new Dewitt’s radiator ready to install. I do not want to do a “normal” engine running system flush after installation causing engine block scale /contaminants to run through new radiator and other new non contaminated heating and cooling components.
Situation: Old coolant drained years ago and engine not run due to repairs. NEW radiator and NEW heater hoses are disconnected. NEW water pump installed. New heater core.
QUESTION: Can I “effectively” flush just the engine block of scale and contaminants by running a water hose flow through the thermostat entry point thus exiting the lower water pump hose connection??? Is there any and coolant system flushing enhancing solution that I should add to the flush???

THANKS for your consideration and valued advice.
I flush with distilled water. My shop would flush everything with distilled water (always remove the block drains), just to remove old coolant etc. When you fill if you know the total capacity fill 1/2 with antifreeze, and the rest with distilled water. It is cheap and really helps slow the crud from forming. There is a product for big rigs that Napa sells called Napa Kool. I t really helps keep the scale down. I think it is lye based so very little is needed, but I have never had a problem in any of my old rigs using it with good clean results. If you use it and flush once a year as described, it will clean your block and things will stay clean.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:39 PM
benrep
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 51 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Default Block drains.

Getting the block drains out is an issue. I usually give them a "crack" with a small light hammer with more velocity than mass. Just tap them a couple of times. Then sometimes I apply a little heat, Map gas will work, get them pretty hot and smack them a couple more times. When they are out I always install drain valves. There are some nice ball valves that will thread right in, or even the radiator style butterfly valve will work. Then you can drain and flush easily.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:19 PM
Jim Rosenthal
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a descaling solution that is sold by Detroit Diesel parts shops which is used for flushing those engines (two cycle DDs). It works very well, and also smells bad to say the least. You might look into that. I would favor pulling the freeze plugs as noted, but I would get the engine up to temp with a cleaner in the cooling system first and loosen as much as possible that way. Short of pulling the engine and soaking the block, which you don't want to do, using a cleaning solution and then draining it through the freeze plugs is the best answer.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:07 PM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Jim Rosenthal
There is a descaling solution that is sold by Detroit Diesel parts shops which is used for flushing those engines (two cycle DDs). It works very well, and also smells bad to say the least. You might look into that. I would favor pulling the freeze plugs as noted, but I would get the engine up to temp with a cleaner in the cooling system first and loosen as much as possible that way. Short of pulling the engine and soaking the block, which you don't want to do, using a cleaning solution and then draining it through the freeze plugs is the best answer.
Is it possible to get new freeze plugs in with the engine in the car?

Last edited by davekp78; 03-21-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:53 PM
Jim Rosenthal
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, we just did it in another car. But maybe it isn't possible with his car. We just did it in my GT40, but that is not the same engine. My mistake.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:01 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
I doubt you'll get much of anything out by sticking a hose in the thermostat opening and trying to flush out of the water pump.

If it was me, I'd pour the cooling system full of white vinegar after I tied the top/bottom radiator outlets together. Let it sit awhile and then start the engine to agitate it and get it hot. Let it cool and repeat. Takes a couple of days to work. Drain the block out through the two bottom plugs above the pan rail and flush well with plenty of water. The holes in the bottom of the block will probably be plugged so you'll have to poke around to clear them.

Even better is oxalic acid (wood bleach) and washing powder. It used to be sold as cooling system flush. It works the same as vinegar only much quicker.
In your current situation, this is your best bet. I did the same thing, but used the old radiator and water pump to allow me to run the engine longer. The vinegar was left in for about 10 days to do its job (it's a mild acid). Be sure to neutralize the block after the vinegar with plenty of distilled water and washing soda, to cancel out the acidic effects of the vinegar once your new radiator is installed!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I would suggest using any of the different options of additives to clean the block and so on. I do not have one specifically that I recommend.

The reason is that when I go and install new parts much like what you are doing..I have already cleaned the system and got it as clean as it is going to get due to most of my customers do not want me to pull freeze plugs. Any remaining residual scale is so minute it is not going to effect the cooling system.

If your block drains are Allen head set screws....I use valve lapping compound when I insert the Allen wrench so the grit of the lapping compound helps fill in the looseness of the Allen wrench and also provides a bit more 'bite' so you do not round off the Allen wrench. Using the previously mentioned 'tricks' may be needed also.

And for whatever this is worth...I prefer using the socket head style hex head brass pipe plugs also. You do not have to tighten the living heck out of them to get them to seal. With or without Teflon tape on them I also like the steel ones like what the factory used in later years and ALWAYS use six point socket on them...regardless if they are steel or brass.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Method Of Flushing Just The Engine Block???

Old 03-21-2018, 08:24 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 680 Posts

Don't know the affect it would have on an assembled engine, but I've been using EvapoRust to clean the water jacket in heads and block. I use dumdum to plug the intake holes in the head and keep the face flat up. Fill it with Evaporust and after a day or so, pour it out. Looks like new cast iron. On the block with it on the engine stand, tilt till block head is up, flat, level, dumdum on the waterpump inlet, small pipe extension with cap on the side block drain. Fill it level full, wait a day or so, drain and flush. Rinse and repeat the other side.

The block and heads water jacket will be as clean as the day it was cast.

Last edited by pop23235; 03-21-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by pop23235
Don't know the affect it would have on an assembled engine, but I've been using EvapoRust to clean the water jacket in heads and block. I use dumdum to plug the intake holes in the head and keep the face flat up. Fill it with Evaporust and after a day or so, pour it out. Looks like new cast iron. On the block with it on the engine stand, tilt till block head is up, flat, level, dumdum on the waterpump inlet, small pipe extension with cap on the side block drain. Fill it level full, wait a day or so, drain and flush. Rinse and repeat the other side.

The block and heads water jacket will be as clean as the day it was cast.
Interesting...something for me to consider.

DUB
Old 03-22-2018, 09:27 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

It's pretty important to try to get the block drain plugs out. We had an old 350 in a C1 that was overheating so we went after it. We thought we finally had it cleaned enough to install a new radiator after flushing it several times several different ways including removing the water pump. Thankfully, we decided to get the car up in the air and get under it to get those plugs out. There was a lot of sediment and crap settled in the block that normal flushing didn't move. We used a pipe brush through the hole working it in and out to get the debris moving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Method Of Flushing Just The Engine Block???