C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

The Onyx II Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 06:30 PM
Joseph Parsons
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The Onyx II Project

Hi all... I'm starting a dedicated thread for Miss Onyx ...My 85 Coupe.... She needs a lot of love and TLC.... I am willing and able and with a little help from my friends... We can get her back to her once great C4 glory... yeah that's the ticket...
Here are two sorta intro videos so y'all can what i'm working with......
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3J8maXIYlc&t=18s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu3kqqCsEaI

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTSxB9QVO8U&t=64s

Got my Cluster back and now gotta get my horn ....uh honking
Old 03-20-2018, 08:23 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Welcome and congrats on your 85/6 lol. My car needed some tlc when I got it and it got a mini restoration. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about my car and Corvettes along the way. I also made a thread on it. I can say that there is great satisfaction bringing a car back to her former glory. And there are fewer and fewer early C4's on the road every year. Looking forward to your progress.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:48 PM
Willymo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to you for bringing her back to life. Looking forward to some updates. How's the powertrain?
Old 03-21-2018, 01:07 AM
Joseph Parsons
Intermediate

Pretty solid I must say...Fact is the engine, tranny and the suspension were so solid with minimal repair foreseen that it was one reason that it's almost easy to overlook the other troublesome issues. :-)

Speaking of troublesome issues.....: After I got my Cluster back in (and stopped filming of course).I decided to install that horn relay or what I think is a horn relay.... I put it in almost all the way, but not all the way so it would not lock... and it clicked like a working relay but no horn.... Now I'm kinda green on this and don't have a FSM yet. Infact all I have is the Haynes repair book.(my wife bought it with the car of course) ... That being said is this location where the horn relay plugs into? I'm not really sure.... All I know is that when I first looked back behind the center information cluster... what ever relay was in there was missing .... So I am assuming it is the horn relay.... that dang Haynes book is junk, I need a FSM thanks and forgive my newness arrogance What relay goes in this socket?
Old 03-21-2018, 11:33 AM
Willymo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the horn relay. Just to be safe "I'd" replace the fuse before you put it all back together. Just peace of mind IMO, new relay, new fuse, move on. Have you checked to see if there is power to the horns themselves? Not a pro here, let's see if we can get a little more experience to chime in.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:16 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

The usual issue with the horns is that they fill up with crap and just stop working. I would check that they have a good ground and that there is power getting to them. If there's no power at the horn work backwards from there. Another issue could be that the horn is not making contact at the steering wheel when you press it.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:37 AM
Joseph Parsons
Intermediate

Just wanted to give a big vitual hug to Bfenty....... Not only did he and few others make a newbie feel welcome. He also hooked me up with the 85 FSM....... Best present a Corvette lover could ever dream of.. I am so grateful..... I have only a few days a week to do any work on her, so productive time is wonderful..... and oh lord how awesome is the FSM... I have the haynes book...or shall I say "paper I will use to tape up the car when I paint it"... I have seen the Chilton book as well... about as useless as the haynes book.... Now the FSM.... IS AWESOME......( old bucks like will me will get this) Y'all remember that T.V show "The Greatest American Hero"? Remember how awesome is was when ever he got the instruction manual to the suit? He could use it correctly, he felt like he finally understood the suit... That's how I feel with FSM.... Has easy instal and details of EVERY repair I need .... Correct wire color diagrams ... the list of super duper ooper cool stuff the FSM can do is amazing and I feel empowered. I could go on, but in an effort to not annoy my new friends..... I wont....
But seriously y'all Big hugs to you good sir.... When I get her right, your invited to Maine for an awesome lobster dinner and a ride ..... Hell you can even drive......
Old 03-25-2018, 12:41 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

That's awesome! Nicely done Bfenty!
Old 03-26-2018, 03:37 PM
Joseph Parsons
Intermediate

Default FSM is huge

OK so I was having a little bit of trouble, with getting useful information out of the full service manual because of it being in a PDF format. Mainly because it's so big and so hard to find exactly what you're looking for. So I decided it would be useful to go ahead and print out the full service manual and turn it into a book.
Well the full service manual is over 500 pages and I will definitely need to be buying a new toner cartridge very shortly. Now I need to take out my drill drill some holes to make my own binding you devil I don't wanna get any of these pages out of order.

I find it so amusing that there's so much preparation work that goes into even beginning your Corvette project. I think eventually down the road I will look back on this and remember this as the golden times.
Oh well I'm having a lot of fun doing all this stuff.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:04 PM
Joseph Parsons
Intermediate

Default Bound and ready

Much better... today I also think I figured out why they had my horn relay taken out.... So according to the full service manual I can only disarm my alarm by unlocking the car using the driver side door with a key. My key will not unlock the driver side door the lock is jammed I've tried to use WD40 but it doesn't work. I probly have to replace the cylinder as well. Therefore if my horn relay was inserted it would activate the theft deterrent system disabling my starter. It would also cause the horn to beep annoyingly.
To add insult to injury the power switch for my passenger side door has also broken just recently in fact. So I have to replace that as well to even begin to work on my horn.

But having the full service manual is an utter blessing because it makes diagnosing the problem very easy. And has saved me hours and hours of unnecessary looking and probing and diagnosing only to find out that I would be unable to have a working horn until I fix my door lock cylinder.

Hey guys how hard is it to replace the door lock cylinder anyway is that's my next step apparently.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:03 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

pull the panel off. be ultra careful and slow. there ate a few videos on utube for how to do it.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:04 AM
Joseph Parsons
Intermediate

Default good news (Ihope)

So I got wait for some new door hardware so I can get to my lock cylinder (I have none , Whoever had the car before me put it back with zip ties).. So I decided to check my error codes and find out why my "Check Engine" light is on ... I ran the test expecting the worst... like 5 or more codes... Well all I got is a "15" I might get more once I fix this issue. But for now One code is very promising...... I have ordered a new Coolant temp sensor and will replace .... And clear the Computer then retest... who knows maybe the corvette gods have sent me a good car with only major cosmetic issues.... She sounds great after all... just stalls upon starting... once she warmed up she runs like a champ..... I keep y'all posted if it fixes the issue and if any new codes surface.....

this is my test result.............
Old 04-03-2018, 07:16 AM
SuperDave02
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I changed out the fan temp switch, in the drivers side head. Your fan will come on at 225. Way to hot for me, Now it comes on at 185. If you can get ahold of a set of C6 seats they go in very easy, just have to do some wiring. Great upgrade.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:36 PM
Joseph Parsons
Intermediate

Default Found my 15

I found what was triggering my error code 15. Gonna have it fixed next week. Thought to be some I can easily replace myself . But it's in there pretty good probly going need a torch on a take it to my guy having replace it. More fun... Definitely broke
Old 04-04-2018, 11:05 PM
johnnymo63
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Your video is showing codes 15 & 12. Two different times, I saw it flash both codes.
What does the FSM say about #12?
Old 04-05-2018, 12:21 AM
Joseph Parsons
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johnnymo63
Your video is showing codes 15 & 12. Two different times, I saw it flash both codes.
What does the FSM say about #12?
A code 12 : 3 times indicates the start and end of the code sequence.... So 12, 12, 12 .... 15, 15, 15, ......12, 12 , 12 means I have a code 15 :Coolant Temp sensor voltage low: stored in my ECM.... The 12's just indicate the start and end of code.... Now I might get another one once I replace the Sensor....And the ECM gets a reading from the sensor.... I hope I only have just the 15 though... and repairing the sensor get the CHECK ENGINE black again..... Wish me luck :-)
Old 04-05-2018, 12:37 PM
johnnymo63
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Okay, I didn't know that. Things like that are why owning an FSM is such a good idea.
I've subscribed to your restore thread. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Get notified of new replies

To The Onyx II Project

Old 04-06-2018, 12:12 AM
Joseph Parsons
Intermediate

Thanks.... It's gonna be a long thread i'm afraid.... but fun nevertheless.....

Side note: Funny truth...... A mechanic hates when you roll up in the garage, step out your whip, holding a FSM in your hand , telling him exactly what's wrong, and handing him the FSM and saying, it's on page 782... just needs a torch to loosen the Temp sensor.... At that time.... Your mechanic has been defeated, he knows that he has been defeated.... he knows you know your car.... he knows that you know REALLY exactly what's wrong with the car... he can't FIND other problems due to presumable ignorance...... He smiles thanks you for having a quick reference.... ( saves from google searches )...... His face is priceless.... It reads " Holy hell, I aint get no extra money on this *******"......... it's a liberating feeling...... Just a side thought.....
Old 04-06-2018, 12:19 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

u might consider in the future acquiring a set of stripped bolt removers. easier than going to a mechanic to back a bolt/plug/sensor out and i guarantee u will need them again!

thnx for the update, keep going!!
Old 04-06-2018, 09:51 AM
Joseph Parsons
Intermediate

Thanks i'll add that to my "must have parts list.".... It is kinda a drag to have a 60 dollar labor fee to remove a 19 mm nut eh?

Quick Reply: The Onyx II Project