C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Short treatise on repro parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 08:14 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Default Short treatise on repro parts

So - my 63 fuel gauge finally went south (I describe it as bouncing around like Dolly Parton in a Zoomba class) -- see video...

So, A new sending unit helped some but still excessive 'bounce' so I send out the original gauge and, based on some recommendations here, order a repro and install it (yes, you can do it with the cluster still in the car) temporarily while the original is being worked on. Well, its just unacceptably shiny, the font is off a bit and bugs me every time I look at it (I know I'm ****). See first picture; repro on the left of course.

So then I hear back from the guy with my original gauge that it was fixed before at some point and messed up for good - not worth restoring.

In talking to him about the repro gauge, he said I ordered the wrong repro gauge (not the 'good' one) - soooo....I order the 'right' repro from another vendor.

It comes in an AC/Delco box and I'm thinking - super....this has GOT to be a nice repro. Well its JUST as shiny and when mounted in the dash its actually crooked. I mean glaringly crooked. The second picture is my 'bum' original beside the repro (on the right) with them lined up just as they'd be mounted in the dash - yeah, crooked. The clockwise tilt actually looks worse in the dash and there is no mounting adjustment.

So I put the first repro back in the dash and send the AC/Delco POS back to the vendor. I guess the lesson is that just seeing a brand name doesn't make something better, and secondly, the fuel gauge can be replaced - without removing the cluster - in about 20 minutes..

Guess I'm on the prowl for an NOS gauge now, but those are in the $200 range and up. I'm in no hurry so I'll look for a bargain.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-21-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:14 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,035 Posts

So, it appears to me your expert rebuilder could take the original needle and face and mate it to the repro drive mechanism.
Second option is to do a wash of the repro to remove the shine. Maybe experiment with a very thin paint mixture in an air brush.
The following users liked this post:
Frankie the Fink (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 09:16 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Frank,
How about switching the original "dial" to the reproduction meter?? Call me before you do it, and I'll fix you up with how to get the needle right.

Sorry, R66 responded while I was typing.

Last edited by mike coletta; 03-21-2018 at 09:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Frankie the Fink (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 09:29 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by mike coletta
Frank,
How about switching the original "dial" to the reproduction meter?? Call me before you do it, and I'll fix you up with how to get the needle right.

Sorry, R66 responded while I was typing.
Yeah, I think that's where I'm heading....not sure how the needle could be reattached and read correctly without some sort of calibration required though.

May be a few weeks (a lot going on - getting house painted and wifey having knee surgery) but I'll take you up on that Mike
Old 03-21-2018, 10:38 AM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Yea, unfortunately that would bug me as well. Others must get be ok with it. If it was my car, I’d buy an NOS replacement and move on.

Ed
Old 03-21-2018, 11:10 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by emdoller
Yea, unfortunately that would bug me as well. Others must get be ok with it. If it was my car, I’d buy an NOS replacement and move on.

Ed
You can probably find the two bills under the couch cushion.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:30 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Some are more trusting than me. Something may be NOS or it may not. And even an NOS part can be dicey after 60 years. I’m liking the face swap approach.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:42 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

So is your battery gauge a repro, because the lettering on it matches the repro fuel gauge, not your original one.

I don't know who you sent your original to, but sometimes the restorers have originals to sell. You might check with Joe Ray, D & M, Corvette Instrument, etc.

I'm pretty sure the repro gauge in the Delco box, is being made by K & B Corvette in Georgia. You might want to call them and see what they have to say. From my experience, they've been pretty good to deal with, and usually seem willing to listen when there's an issue with something they make.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:46 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by gbvette62
So is your battery gauge a repro, because the lettering on it matches the repro fuel gauge, not your original one.

I don't know who you sent your original to, but sometimes the restorers have originals to sell. You might check with Joe Ray, D & M, Corvette Instrument, etc.
I did

I'm pretty sure the repro gauge in the Delco box, is being made by K & B Corvette in Georgia. You might want to call them and see what they have to say. From my experience, they've been pretty good to deal with, and usually seem willing to listen when there's an issue with something they make.
I did -- and got a refund.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:14 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I replaced my fuel gage years ago and while not as bad as that one, there was some difference in the silk screened dial line widths, etc. I try not to stare at it too much.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:46 PM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 371 Likes on 220 Posts

So! Say what? Say it ain't So.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:11 PM
benrep
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 51 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Just a thought for future reference. I do a lot of scale modeling and often don't want shiny. Testors dull coat spray is pretty good if warm and shaken enough. Just a light misting. It would make the gauge match the other, even the needle. A drop of synthetic very thin oil at the needle pivot just in case it got in there would be a plan. The only question is compatibility with the existing paint. I always test on an edge or some where it won't show first.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:27 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by emdoller

Ed
It was even a little worse as the AC/Delco repro had the rear terminals too close together...you could only mash the connector down so far on the terminals

Original on top, repro on the bottom - the OTHER repro (now in the car) was fine in this regard
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2018, 03:32 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

You'd think that the manufacturer would have had the sense to use a flattening agent in the paint to match the oem non-glare finish. Satin/gloss paint on a gauge? Really?
Old 03-21-2018, 04:41 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

That's my thought too.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:05 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I watched the video.....and there's no bouncing Dollys? ....you lied.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:26 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
I watched the video.....and there's no bouncing Dollys? ....you lied.
I DO apologize - I must have posted the wrong video

Get notified of new replies

To Short treatise on repro parts

Old 03-21-2018, 08:35 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
It was even a little worse as the AC/Delco repro had the rear terminals too close together...you could only mash the connector down so far on the terminals

Original on top, repro on the bottom - the OTHER repro (now in the car) was fine in this regard
Just bend the posts at an angle slightly off vertical and away from each other to increase the space for the connectors. Easy!
Old 03-21-2018, 08:49 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 275 Posts

Replace all 4 small gauges with repo's. Assuming all repo's look the same, very few people would know they are not original.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:58 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Just bend the posts at an angle slightly off vertical and away from each other to increase the space for the connectors. Easy!
Errr...yeah. I did get the connector on, but as the pic shows, you can't seat it all the way with that method as the base of the connectors are immovable. No biggee - just another thing that could have been easily done right the first time...

Quick Reply: [C2] Short treatise on repro parts