C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Stainless fuel line

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 06:14 PM
benrep
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 51 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Default Stainless fuel line

I have a new tank coming due to rust issues. Then I thought about the steel line from the tank to the fuel pump. I have tubing benders and have made a lot of neat looking brake and fuel lines. I looked at zip, where I bought the tank and they have a stainless preformed line with the springs on it etc. The bend it in the middle to ship it which concerns me. My question is has anybody used one of these? They get a chunk of change for it along with freight and it would have to be pretty darn good to make me happy at that price. Feed back if any, please.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:20 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by benrep
I have a new tank coming due to rust issues. Then I thought about the steel line from the tank to the fuel pump. I have tubing benders and have made a lot of neat looking brake and fuel lines. I looked at zip, where I bought the tank and they have a stainless preformed line with the springs on it etc. The bend it in the middle to ship it which concerns me. My question is has anybody used one of these? They get a chunk of change for it along with freight and it would have to be pretty darn good to make me happy at that price. Feed back if any, please.
its fairly simple to bend it back out. just don't work on it to much or your snap it. some people have problems with S/S lines and getting them to seat and seal. your carbon steel line lasted 60 years. I don't think your be around again when it goes bad
Old 03-22-2018, 06:24 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I had my 63 longish brake line that goes along the front frame crossmember sent to me bent for shipping. It wasn't stainless but it 'unbent' for installation easily...
Old 03-22-2018, 06:28 PM
427390HP
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

I agree with Nowhere Man as far as SS lines sealing. I put SS brakes lines on my '60 and had a heckuva time getting them to finally seal. I would also recommend a standard steel line.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:29 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I recently had an experience with a stainless steel fuel line. Didn't want to bend, and would not flare, due to its extreme hardness. Brittle, too. I have ZERO use for stainless brake or fuel lines.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:39 PM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

If you have the flaring and bending tools, I’d make your own lines out of nickel/copper tubing. Much better than steel or stainless. Some of the manufacturer names are Cunifer and NiCopp.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:53 PM
Grampy
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

I have stainless brake and fuel lines. The 1/4 in rear brake line was pre-bent and "folded" into the shipping box. It straightened out with no issues. The 3/8 fuel lines I bent myself for my EFI system.

I really hate rust so use stainless or aluminum whenever I can.
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2018, 08:53 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
its fairly simple to bend it back out. just don't work on it to much or your snap it. some people have problems with S/S lines and getting them to seat and seal. your carbon steel line lasted 60 years. I don't think your be around again when it goes bad
I totally agree with everything that you said . Stainless lines are not needed on a classic car and they do tend to leak at the connections sometimes due to the stainless being so hard the flairs are hard to crush in shape to seat properly . Stainless lines are only needed on a work truck that sees a lot of weather.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:35 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

I bent and flared all of my brake and fuel lines out of stainless. I used 37 degree single flares. They were good enough for our painting robots we had in the 80’s running 3000psi hydraulic pressure, they were good enough for me. I bought my tubing from these guys https://www.inlinetube.com

Last edited by firstgear; 03-22-2018 at 09:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GUSTO14 (03-22-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 12:12 AM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I unbent the line with no issues. I was nervous about it... but it was no problem.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:17 AM
benrep
Racer

I'll just use regular steel I think. I have no access where I live to bulk tubing so it will have to be two lengths of 3/8 with flared ends from the parts house. That will do for now, this car has bigger problems than an incorrect fuel line. I just thought preformed would be nice, if it was accurate.

Last edited by benrep; 03-23-2018 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:58 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Amazon doesn’t ship to you?

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-23-2018, 08:52 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by firstgear
I bent and flared all of my brake and fuel lines out of stainless. I used 37 degree single flares. They were good enough for our painting robots we had in the 80’s running 3000psi hydraulic pressure, they were good enough for me. I bought my tubing from these guys https://www.inlinetube.com
I think it is illegal to use single flares on brake lines , at least in my state . And for good reason . ( gas lines ok ) They also do not permit copper lines for brakes .
The following 2 users liked this post by bj1k:
Chuck Gongloff (03-23-2018), GTOguy (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 08:55 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by benrep
I'll just use regular steel I think. I have no access where I live to bulk tubing so it will have to be two lengths of 3/8 with flared ends from the parts house. That will do for now, this car has bigger problems than an incorrect fuel line. I just thought preformed would be nice, if it was accurate.
You made a good choice . Save your money for something that you really need .
The following users liked this post:
GTOguy (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 09:42 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Originally Posted by bj1k
I think it is illegal to use single flares on brake lines , at least in my state . And for good reason . ( gas lines ok ) They also do not permit copper lines for brakes .
I assume the copper comment is directed at my recommendation, and wanted to clarify that nickel/copper lines are not copper as a lot think. It’s an alloy that’s fully DOT approved for brake and fuel lines. Much easier to bend and flare than steel or stainless, and more resistant to work hardening and cracking than either. Seals better due to being a little softer. Corrosion resistance is similar to 316 stainless. A 3/16” line has a working pressure of 4500 psi, and a burst pressure of 17,000 psi. Some won’t try it due to not being “correct” for a Vette. But if you do try it, you probably won’t use anything else.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:45 AM
benrep
Racer

Originally Posted by Drothgeb
I assume the copper comment is directed at my recommendation, and wanted to clarify that nickel/copper lines are not copper as a lot think. It’s an alloy that’s fully DOT approved for brake and fuel lines. Much easier to bend and flare than steel or stainless, and more resistant to work hardening and cracking than either. Seals better due to being a little softer. Corrosion resistance is similar to 316 stainless. A 3/16” line has a working pressure of 4500 psi, and a burst pressure of 17,000 psi. Some won’t try it due to not being “correct” for a Vette. But if you do try it, you probably won’t use anything else.
Old dog new trick...I just learned something after 40 years in the business, albeit on an Island. I will order this tubing I like it. There is no problem double flaring fuel line is there? I always have so I can really torque it up.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:14 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Take a look at this:

Given that video I managed to leave some small unwanted bends in my SS fuel line. Make sure you have the room to work it correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To Stainless fuel line

Old 03-23-2018, 03:25 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

is all of the nickle/cooper lines the same alloy makeup and does it come with certs to back up the DOT claims?
Old 03-23-2018, 07:46 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

No , I was just talking about pure copper . The copper/Nickle is totally legal since it is stronger . Pure copper is too soft and it can split when flared . Even so when I had my restoration shop I've seen people use it on an older vehicle with a single master cylinder .
Old 03-23-2018, 08:12 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by bj1k
Just for my reference, please post a link that specifically says it is illegal to use single 37 degree flare with stainless steel lines for brakes. I have never seen that referenced anywhere before....I have read that 37 degree flares for steel lines isnt any good because it is too soft.

Quick Reply: [C1] Stainless fuel line