C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for/avoid when buying a C6 Vette

Old 03-23-2018, 03:55 PM
kingc0bra
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for/avoid when buying a C6 Vette

Hi All,

New here as I'm looking to buy a C6 vette sometime in the near future.

I looked at the sticky threads but didn't see a recommendations/what to look for when buying a vette.

I know I'll be sticking with at least a 2008+ as it has the LS3 + many changes. Anything I should specifically look for/avoid when looking at vettes 08+?

Any packages that are definitely worth the money?

Lastly, what mileage would be too high to jump into at this point? Is 75k high for these cars? I know the engine lasts forever but any concerns when it comes to maintenance as the car ages?

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2018, 04:12 PM
Evo_Joe
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Weakest points in the car are the Harmonic Balancer and the Clutch Hydraulics (Master/Slave).

Google/research/look/read into the following:
ATI Harmonic Balancer or the like
Monster - Billet Release Bearing Support
TSB #14717
Ranger Method
Old 03-23-2018, 04:17 PM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

welcome to the forum, but these standard questions are asked here once a week.

Interior trims are Base (1lt), 2LT, and highest 3LT.
suspension package is either base, magnetic ride, or Z51 package.

Mileage will reflect what you're willing to pay for the car. I bought mine with 30k and has the LS2, but i wanted a specific color and the 3LT package because I wanted the heads up and heated seats. It was the only one i could find so i bought it.

The main thing i have seem people talk about is the harmonic balancer. It *can* go bad. Some i read were as low at 30k all the way up to 100k. My belts squeaked when I bought the car, but the new drive belts I bought fixed it (for now). The seats go bad quickly, and just plan to change all the fluids when you buy it.

I would realize quickly how expensive tires will be for the car, and double check to see if the year car you want has either bluetooth or an aux port. Mine has neither.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:32 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

I was new to this 18 months ago and bought a 2010 GS convertible MT - 3LT.

I really like the HUD and mine has the multi-adjustable drivers seat which adds lumbar and side bolster adjustment.

The only thing missing was ride control which I would have preferred although the base setup in the GS is not bad at all.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:44 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,003 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Don't be in a rush to just buy the first Vet you find.

Know the color and the option package you want from the start, and focus in on that. Hence if you want a Z51 option car, then don't settle for a base model. If you want a 3lt package, then don't settle on a 1lt package that may not come with hud isntead.

As for option package of the car, you just need to look at the sticker label in the glove box. Hence a look at the below sticker, and we can tell that the car has both the Z51 option, as well as having the 3lt package.

RPO codes for a 2008
https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com.../2008rpos.html

Once you do find your ideal vet you are searching for, then you need a copy of the GM service history, the Carfax report, and take the car to a independent shop to have it pre-purchase inspected before you even start talking pricer.
DO NOT TRUST THE SELLING DEALER, OR A INDIVIDUAL SELLER!!!!!
If the vet has problems, it going to get spendy real quick having to pay for such repairs.

On both the gm service history, and the Carfax, you trying to get an ideal of the back ground on the car. Hence all vets have recalls on them, so such repairs are normal, but you looking for something that will standing out as either the car being a lemon, way too many problems or that it was wrecked which will deprecate the value of it.

On the pre inspection by an independent shop, your getting an ideal of the condition of the car, and what may need to be repaired, or will need to be repaired shortly after you but it like the brakes worn out.

Now after you are armed with the above information, then it time to start talking price of the car, or even if you want the buy that vet in the first place.

For most of use seasoned vet owners that buy a used vets, it not out of the question to have to go months before we find where we are looking for in the first place, and even end up having to fly to another state to get the ideal car in the end.

To bottom line it, there are lot of vets out there for sale, but only a few may be the ideal car for you to buy in the end. It's not just finding your ideal color and option model to start with, but not buying someone else's problem child that is going to end up with repair after repair in the end.

Last edited by Dano523; 03-24-2018 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:52 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

damage to rocker panels from improper jacking
damage to the underside of the front chin from scraping on curbings / driveways
wobbling harmonic balancer
worn seat bolsters
creaking or squeeking targa top
door release pads work easily and well
make sure the speaker for the audio system all work and are not blown
everything else just like any other car..
Look for any evidence of collision damage
Body and interior in good shape?
Hopefully the engine is cold so you can cold start it and listen for any noises.
Tires
Brakes
Fluids

if it all looks good and you are genuinely interested in the car take it for a long test drive to full operating temperature.

Does it go straight down the road?
Go well?
Stop well?
Steering feel good?
any vibrations or noises?

head up display and dual mode exhaust are great options to have.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:03 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

The wife and I just picked up our one owner, 2011 Grand Sport last week with 14.5K miles after doing about 8 months of research and then about 30 days of hard core looking. I can't say enough that Knowledge is Power in every sense of the saying. Define your budget, know the associated costs such as insurance and approximate yearly costs to support the car Everything you have heard on this forum is dead on accurate info. Buying online has revolutionized purchasing and cars are no exception. Don't expect much price haggling, but you can get "extras" thrown in. We got a lifetime powertrain warranty as part of our purchase and that cemented the deal. Take your time, but have your money at the ready and strike when you find the car you wan't, Chances are if you want it, then others will to so time is not on your side to waste. It's staggering how many low mileage cars are out there in pristine shape. Personally, we avoided all cars that had any hint of being a "track car" or performance modified. Good luck in your search, and like I said, research EVERYTHING.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:15 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,763 Likes on 4,217 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Decide what are your must haves & what wants but not necessary - that will first help narrow your search. For me my must have was Inferno Orange Grand Sport, Carbon Edition Z06 or ZR1. With 2 kids going to college very soon, and 2 more following soon after, the ZR1 was probably out of the question. As others have mentioned there are different option packages with different items in each - again must haves vs not really necessary. I have 2 other cars both less than 2 years old that are pretty loaded, so I wasn't looking for things like heated seats, nav, etc. I also mod my all my cars, so I knew I would be replacing a lot of things regardless, so why spend more on a car upfront if I know I am going to be buying extra parts anyway (new wheels/tires, splitter, side skirts, my seats are getting new skins as we speak, etc.)

As I've seen others recommend on here & it's pretty safe advice, find the lowest mileage car you can afford with the must have options. When I was ready to buy I found 2 Inferno Orange Grand Sports within what I wanted to pay. One was a 1LT car with 30k miles & the other was a 3LT car with 20k miles. The 1LT was $7k less than the 3LT, so that is the one I bought & put that extra $7 towards mods
Old 03-23-2018, 06:29 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,687 Likes on 2,986 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I would like to add one item to this discussion, Don't be afraid to pay top dollar for a top dollar garage queen car. You will read many posts saying that this year Corvette is worth blah, bah, blah, but a truly clean, low mile, well taken care of car is worth more money & typically will have minimal problems. That being said, you have to do your due diligence & check Carfax, GMvis, and even a mechanics report before you buy
Old 03-23-2018, 07:20 PM
MLRS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I will not buy a Corvette if owner won't let you get it lifted on a garage lift so you can walk underneath and check for any signs of leaks, cracks etc... believe me. won't be disappointed.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:14 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

I like a car fax to see if there has been any significant accident. Owner history and a record of services performed is nice to have. Chevy dealer can run the vin for a record of warranty service. Condition of the car is key.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:46 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Orrrrrrrrrrr, you can do what I did. (True story)

I decided on the color. Magnetic Red. A 2005. I found one in 2011 at the Chevrolet dealer in Daleville, Indiana. 25,000 miles. I jumped in my 1996 Sunfire and drove 100 miles. Walked out to the garage and there it was. (Honestly) I didn't so much as walk around the car!! The whole passenger side of the car could have been wiped out and I wouldn't have even noticed it.

I took one look at the car. The salesman showed me how to roll down the drivers side window. I sat in it for about 30 seconds. I NEVER EVEN DROVE IT. They took my Sunfire out for a test drive. Gave me $1000.00 trade in. By then I was blabbering and slobbering and said, "I'll take it!!"

I wrote a check for the price they were asking. They pulled the car out and had it sitting in the front. Yep!! The passenger side looked perfect. I got in and drove home in a downpour for 100 miles. I still love my baby. True Story.

Now that's the way to buy a car!!
The following 3 users liked this post by Jimmy W1:
airmed2 (03-24-2018), Landru (03-24-2018), Xvoyager (03-24-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 10:29 PM
dadsbadhabit
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

OE Goodyear tires are big negative no matter the condition. Nice new Michelins are a huge plus.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:46 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kingc0bra
Anything I should specifically look for/avoid when looking at vettes
This is just my biased point of view, and not really Vette-specific, rather applies to any high-performance car I might look at.

I look for a car with at least 3000 miles/yr from a temperate climate where those miles represent year-round use.

I avoid cars that have performance mods.

And my opinion is the more options, the more there is to potentially go wrong.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:21 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy W1
Now that's the way to buy a car!!

Yea they sure are, all shiny & new.
Gazing on the right Corvette's like looking at a beautiful woman.
Totally emotional w/ careless disregard of common sense, often even dangerous.
But, you just can't stop.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:44 PM
Xvoyager
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Don't be in a rush to just buy the first Vet you find.

Know the color and the option package you want from the start, and focus in on that. Hence if you want a Z51 option car, then don't settle for a base model. If you want a 3lt package, then don't settle on a 1lt package that may not come with hud isntead.

As for option package of the car, you just need to look at the sticker label in the glove box. Hence a look at the below sticker, and we can tell that the car has both the Z51 option, as well as having the 3lt package.

RPO codes for a 2008
https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com.../2008rpos.html

Once you do find your ideal vet you are searching for, then you need a copy of the GM service history, the Carfax report, and take the car to a independent shop to have it pre-purchase inspected before you even start talking pricer.
DO NOT TRUST THE SELLING DEALER, OR A INDIVIDUAL SELLER!!!!!
If the vet has problems, it going to get spendy real quick having to pay for such repairs.

On both the gm service history, and the Carfax, you trying to get an ideal of the back ground on the car. Hence all vets have recalls on them, so such repairs are normal, but you looking for something that will standing out as either the car being a lemon, way too many problems or that it was wrecked which will deprecate the value of it.

On the pre inspection by an independent shop, your getting an ideal of the condition of the car, and what may need to be repaired, or will need to be repaired shortly after you but it like the brakes worn out.

Now after you are armed with the above information, then it time to start talking price of the car, or even if you want the buy that vet in the first place.

For most of use seasoned vet owners that buy a used vets, it not out of the question to have to go months before we find where we are looking for in the first place, and even end up having to fly to another state to get the ideal car in the end.

To bottom line it, there are lot of vets out there for sale, but only a few may be the ideal car for you to buy in the end. It's not just finding your ideal color and option model to start with, but not buying someone else's problem child that is going to end up with repair after repair in the end.
And after doing the check, double check, triple check.....if it meets your standard, has all the right options and color; Don't be afraid to pay the asking, or maybe more than the KBB or Carfax.

Or.....if a woulda, coulda, shoulda will haunt you forever!!
Old 03-24-2018, 01:23 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Tire brand/condition as that can be a major expense. Check the alignment once you buy it since that affects tire wear.

There are actually 4 levels of trim since 2008, 1LT thru 4LT. 4LT has additional leather especially on the dash. There has been issues with this leather coming off. My 08 and my current 13 has 4LT interiors, both are like new and looks a lot better IMO.

All the points mentioned above especially damage underneath. Some are easy to fix, rocker panels (side of car) are a PITA.

You will have squeaks and rattles in the car as it is at least a 5 year old Chevy. A good way to see if the previous owner gave a crap about maintenance is looking at the cabin filter which is in the back right of the engine bay.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:25 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

If your budget can afford it get a Grand Sport. It’s one of the best looking Vettes ever made! I’ve owned my 2013 for almost 5 years with zero issues. Only downfall is the original Goodyear runflats are garbage and need to be replaced by ANYTHING else. If I’m buying used I’d pay a bit more for a low mileage garage queen that was babied.

Get notified of new replies

To What to look for/avoid when buying a C6 Vette

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to look for/avoid when buying a C6 Vette