C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP harmonic balancer vs dealership issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 05:33 PM
rjemison1109
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default HELP harmonic balancer vs dealership issue

Ok so sorry for the long post, wanna get all the facts in for anyone that might have input or be helpful has them all.

2007 base c6, 78k miles, mods I did (LT, muffler, tune) Mods when purchased (intake) and a cam/springs/retainer that I did not do nor did the dealership obviously know about that were in the motor when they tore into it

-About 2 months ago I drive my car in for my high pressure steering hose leaking to be fixed under my extended warranty that I purchased with the car (used) all mods on the car now were on it then also. They call me and say hey your balancer and the shims are coming out, we called your warranty company and they said we could go ahead and replace it for free. I say awesome yes please.

-After about 2 weeks I get the car back and drive it home, between work and weather it doesn't get driven but about 250 miles. All driving is as normal as the day I got it no vibrations or sounds or anything. Driving home going about 80 at about 4k rpm I get this sound like I hit something in the road, so I pull off and it gets louder and a more violent shake to the car so I kill the motor. When I pop the hood everything looks fine BUT the bolt that holds the balancer on is backed all the way out to the steering rack (rack needs dropped to take bolt out)

-I take the car to the dealer and they say they are gonna go through the warranty company (I know its there fault the whole time but I'm like whatever its getting fixed) so they tell me they need to take it apart to he point of failure and an adjuster will come out I say ok.

-Now on to today, they call me and say the warranty company wont cover it due to the mods. Which I say ok I get, BUT this isn't a mods issue. I think this is human/tech error on installing the bolt, upon inspection the torque tube is bent, crank is messed up, and overall its "out of balance" (which isn't that what the balancer does you asshats lol) and are saying I need a whole new motor along with other things. My reasoning and please anyone correct me if I'm wrong on these before I go in on Monday and talk to the owner....

-they replaced the balancer and the BALANCER bolt backed out
-I cant see any visible Loctite on the threads (service manager stated it was a already locktited bolt??)
-I called a corvette tech at another dealership and he said he has never seen that happen.
-I went to there sister dealership across the street and the 9 techs there said that has never happened
-The bolt tightens clockwise and the balancer spins clockwise

So I guess I'm asking is do balancer bolts just back out, after 200 miles, or at all??? They're also claiming that something else (torque tube) was "out of balance" and that's what messed the balancer up in the first place (this is a common issue we all know about, it just happens on our motors) and stated if they put a new balancer on it would just do it again.

Do I have a case here from a technical standpoint or is this a I'm **** outta luck type thing cause this happens to our cars?

Thanks for any input or tech advice I can use on them etc....
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2018, 07:14 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by rjemison1109
Ok so sorry for the long post, wanna get all the facts in for anyone that might have input or be helpful has them all.

2007 base c6, 78k miles, mods I did (LT, muffler, tune) Mods when purchased (intake) and a cam/springs/retainer that I did not do nor did the dealership obviously know about that were in the motor when they tore into it

-About 2 months ago I drive my car in for my high pressure steering hose leaking to be fixed under my extended warranty that I purchased with the car (used) all mods on the car now were on it then also. They call me and say hey your balancer and the shims are coming out, we called your warranty company and they said we could go ahead and replace it for free. I say awesome yes please.

-After about 2 weeks I get the car back and drive it home, between work and weather it doesn't get driven but about 250 miles. All driving is as normal as the day I got it no vibrations or sounds or anything. Driving home going about 80 at about 4k rpm I get this sound like I hit something in the road, so I pull off and it gets louder and a more violent shake to the car so I kill the motor. When I pop the hood everything looks fine BUT the bolt that holds the balancer on is backed all the way out to the steering rack (rack needs dropped to take bolt out)

-I take the car to the dealer and they say they are gonna go through the warranty company (I know its there fault the whole time but I'm like whatever its getting fixed) so they tell me they need to take it apart to he point of failure and an adjuster will come out I say ok.

-Now on to today, they call me and say the warranty company wont cover it due to the mods. Which I say ok I get, BUT this isn't a mods issue. I think this is human/tech error on installing the bolt, upon inspection the torque tube is bent, crank is messed up, and overall its "out of balance" (which isn't that what the balancer does you asshats lol) and are saying I need a whole new motor along with other things. My reasoning and please anyone correct me if I'm wrong on these before I go in on Monday and talk to the owner....

-they replaced the balancer and the BALANCER bolt backed out
-I cant see any visible Loctite on the threads (service manager stated it was a already locktited bolt??)
-I called a corvette tech at another dealership and he said he has never seen that happen.
-I went to there sister dealership across the street and the 9 techs there said that has never happened
-The bolt tightens clockwise and the balancer spins clockwise

So I guess I'm asking is do balancer bolts just back out, after 200 miles, or at all??? They're also claiming that something else (torque tube) was "out of balance" and that's what messed the balancer up in the first place (this is a common issue we all know about, it just happens on our motors) and stated if they put a new balancer on it would just do it again.

Do I have a case here from a technical standpoint or is this a I'm **** outta luck type thing cause this happens to our cars?

Thanks for any input or tech advice I can use on them etc....
they messed up by not torquing the bolt properly!!!!the bolt is a torque to yield and can not be reused.check your invoice for a charge for new harmonic balancer bolt.that bolt does not look like a new one.if they didn't use a new one they are responsible for all damage!!!if the bolt is not on the invoice for the job you have them by the *****.where ever the car is now get a unique paint color and mark the bolt with it.have some one with you when you mark it and take video for evidence.don't let anyone at dealership take that bolt!!!its going to be a **** show and you will probably need to lawyer up.just the bolt backing out even if it was new makes them liable as they were negligent in torquing it to factory specs.good luck with it and keep us informed on what is going on.also when this gets taken apart make sure there is a DEW washer on the back side of the hb.the washer helps to prevent the hb from spinning on the crank snout and coming loose

Last edited by irok; 03-23-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:16 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

That is a one time use bolt. Once it is removed a new bolt MUST be used. It doesn't look to me like a new bolt in that photo. I would say a new bolt torqued correctly will solve your problem.

irok got in before me!

Last edited by EVRose; 03-23-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:28 PM
irok
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EVRose
That is a one time use bolt. Once it is removed a new bolt MUST be used. It doesn't look to me like a new bolt in that photo. I would say a new bolt torqued correctly will solve your problem.

irok got in before me!
I've changed enough of these and that is not a new bolt.no bolt torqued once will look like that

Last edited by irok; 03-23-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:30 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

The factory bolt does come with the red loctite already on it (as you can see in the pic, the whole hat on the flange has it). The question is if they did the correct installation/torque sequence.

If it comes off, like your pics, idk if it would f'up everything behind it as stated by the dealer.

Plenty of threads about the balancer coming off but no collateral damage to the extreme of what your describing (that I've read).

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:47 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by irok
I've changed enough of these and that is not a new bolt.no bolt torqued once will look like that
Isn't that what I said?
Old 03-23-2018, 07:55 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

They need to call their insurance company because they are going to have a high repair bill

This is a problem that we've seen before because techs don't read the manual. There is a very specific torque process that has to be followed. And the bolt is not reusable. They owe you. Good luck

Cracked torque tube? hmm, I cant imagine the mods doing that. I expect it was the vibration when the bolt backed out. check your motor mounts too
Old 03-23-2018, 07:59 PM
rjemison1109
Instructor

Originally Posted by rabrooks
They need to call their insurance company because they are going to have a high repair bill

This is a problem that we've seen before because techs don't read the manual. There is a very specific torque process that has to be followed. And the bolt is not reusable. They owe you. Good luck

Cracked torque tube? hmm, I cant imagine the mods doing that. I expect it was the vibration when the bolt backed out. check your motor mounts too
they said a “bend in the tube” again off of notes the actual tech wasn’t there but I’m assuming he’s the one who worked on it the first time so of course he isn’t gonna say he fucked up. I feel like the bearing would go before a stockish LS2 would bend the damn tube or internals.

The first thing I said to them was the bolt looked old, rusted and it’s sits ina garage and doesn’t see water and she swore it was new
Old 03-23-2018, 10:40 PM
irok
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EVRose
Isn't that what I said?
yes ,just added condition of bolt after 1 time use?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:45 PM
irok
Safety Car

they said a “bend in the tube” again off of notes the actual tech wasn’t there but I’m assuming he’s the one who worked on it the first time so of course he isn’t gonna say he fucked up. I feel like the bearing would go before a stockish LS2 would bend the damn tube or internals.

The first thing I said to them was the bolt looked old, rusted and it’s sits ina garage and doesn’t see water and she swore it was new
she lies like a carpet.do you have the invoice for the work performed?get a copy if you don't from the dealer or the warranty company.the tech that worked on your car destroyed it
Old 03-24-2018, 01:56 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by bmfvette
The factory bolt does come with the red loctite already on it (as you can see in the pic, the whole hat on the flange has it).
That's not Loctite, that is sealer to keep oil from seeping past the bolt.

Last edited by 3X2; 03-24-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:01 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

That does not look to me to be a new bolt. Based on what the OP has said, I'll lay blame on improper balancer installation. The GM procedure was not followed. Is/was there a diamond washer behind the balancer? I use red Loctite, and the diamond washer when installing the balancer and paint pen the bolt head and balancer. If it is not fully seated, the bolt can back out. If the balancer has spun on the crank snout, the crank may be ruined. Did the balancer rub on the backside of the steering rack? They too, may be ruined.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:14 PM
rjemison1109
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3X2
That does not look to me to be a new bolt. Based on what the OP has said, I'll lay blame on improper balancer installation. The GM procedure was not followed. Is/was there a diamond washer behind the balancer? I use red Loctite, and the diamond washer when installing the balancer and paint pen the bolt head and balancer. If it is not fully seated, the bolt can back out. If the balancer has spun on the crank snout, the crank may be ruined. Did the balancer rub on the backside of the steering rack? They too, may be ruined.
rack looks fine, I think I shut it off quick enough. I haven’t seen any parts yet so no clue if there was a washer. They are saying I need a whole motor, torque tube, clutch.

I also believe they didnt follow procedure as there’s a seal your supposed to replace and I was getting a small oil leak after the install and for the life of me couldn’t find it and this must have been it.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:12 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by 3X2
..... I'll lay blame on improper balancer installation. The GM procedure was not followed. ...
Having been there done that my vote is this ....(and the rest of what 3X2 said)
Old 03-26-2018, 11:14 AM
rjemison1109
Instructor

sooo I def think I have them by the ***** now, the bolt looks beat up but could possibly be new and just sitting around for years. There is blue locktite on the bottom of the treads, but also looks old.

The service bulletin states as such

Install and tighten the new crankshaft bolt.
• Tighten the crankshaft balancer bolt a first pass.

Tighten
Tighten the crankshaft balancer bolt a first pass to 50N•m (37 lb ft).

Put a paint stripe on the bolt running from the 12 o'clock to the 6 o'clock position in order to verify the correct torque requested in the next step.

• Important: When tightening for the second pass, a minimum torque of 320 N•m (236 lb ft) should be observed. If this torque is not achieved, the bolt should be replaced.

Tighten the crankshaft balancer bolt a second pass.

Tighten
Tighten the crankshaft balancer bolt a second pass to 140 degrees using the J 45059.

Important: Recheck the position of the previously painted stripe to assure 140 degree rotation. Achieving the correct torque angle is critical to the success of this repair. Over-torquing or under-torquing the joint will result in an unsatisfactory repair.

After talking to the manager he said ill hear from him tomorrow after he investigates into it, waiting game, still....
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2018, 12:24 PM
irok
Safety Car

sooo I def think I have them by the ***** now, the bolt looks beat up but could possibly be new and just sitting around for years. There is blue locktite on the bottom of the treads, but also looks old.

The service bulletin states as such

Install and tighten the new crankshaft bolt.
• Tighten the crankshaft balancer bolt a first pass.

Tighten
Tighten the crankshaft balancer bolt a first pass to 50N•m (37 lb ft).

Put a paint stripe on the bolt running from the 12 o'clock to the 6 o'clock position in order to verify the correct torque requested in the next step.

• Important: When tightening for the second pass, a minimum torque of 320 N•m (236 lb ft) should be observed. If this torque is not achieved, the bolt should be replaced.

Tighten the crankshaft balancer bolt a second pass.

Tighten
Tighten the crankshaft balancer bolt a second pass to 140 degrees using the J 45059.

Important: Recheck the position of the previously painted stripe to assure 140 degree rotation. Achieving the correct torque angle is critical to the success of this repair. Over-torquing or under-torquing the joint will result in an unsatisfactory repair.

After talking to the manager he said ill hear from him tomorrow after he investigates into it, waiting game, still....
all you have to do is look at your invoice.if a new bolt or wheel alignment was not charged you know they have not been following GM procedures for the job.that will show negligence on their part
Old 03-26-2018, 12:45 PM
rjemison1109
Instructor

Originally Posted by irok
all you have to do is look at your invoice.if a new bolt or wheel alignment was not charged you know they have not been following GM procedures for the job.that will show negligence on their part
they did an alignment, all the invoice says is “balancer”

Last edited by rjemison1109; 03-26-2018 at 12:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP harmonic balancer vs dealership issue

Old 03-26-2018, 03:52 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

I wont comment on if you have a case or not. Wont go there.

What I will say is find a reputable shop in your area who works on Vettes. Get it done right. Extended Warranties are nice and all, but to my experience (and a few others on here), it is still work being done by a dealer...and that doesnt mean that it is good work. It just means they hired someone who can read a manual and follow instructions. But I digress. Either do it yourself and get a good Vette shop.

Torque tube out of balance? That shouldnt fly. If the TT was jacked, you have a few other issues. These are also internally balanced engines. It truly is a pulley more than a balancer and shouldnt get thrown off by the TT. Sounds like they are blowing smoke up your *** by trying to blame other parts and not bad workmanship.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:02 PM
irok
Safety Car

they did an alignment, all the invoice says is “balancer”
balancer only on the invoice means no new bolt.if it cost them a penny it will be on the invoice so that they get paid for it.all dealers write itemized invoices so there will be no arguments and they will be paid for every single item and all work performed.if it doesn't say alignment on invoice they didn't do an alignment

Last edited by irok; 03-26-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:12 PM
rjemison1109
Instructor

Originally Posted by schizcat
I wont comment on if you have a case or not. Wont go there.

What I will say is find a reputable shop in your area who works on Vettes. Get it done right. Extended Warranties are nice and all, but to my experience (and a few others on here), it is still work being done by a dealer...and that doesnt mean that it is good work. It just means they hired someone who can read a manual and follow instructions. But I digress. Either do it yourself and get a good Vette shop.

Torque tube out of balance? That shouldnt fly. If the TT was jacked, you have a few other issues. These are also internally balanced engines. It truly is a pulley more than a balancer and shouldnt get thrown off by the TT. Sounds like they are blowing smoke up your *** by trying to blame other parts and not bad workmanship.

id NEVER go to a dealer unless it was something dumb, which at first was the high pressure hose needing replaced and I didn’t have the tools to do it. Extremely regretting not getting an ATI balancer upgrade and having a performance shop do it.

Quick Reply: HELP harmonic balancer vs dealership issue