C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic balancer recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 05:25 PM
1997 C5
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Harmonic balancer recommendations

Hi guys, I have 97 C5 just turned over 75k miles has original OEM harmonic balancer that is wobbling. I am in process of deciding what brand to replace with. I am not going with OEM because of the wobbling issue that will occur again down the road. What aftermarket harmonic balancer should I go with ? what kind of prices can i expect?
I will also replace the crank shaft seal same time with harmonic balancer.
I got a quote $453.20 labor only for shop I send mechanical work to that is discounted price. Seems that break down to 4.0 hr labor.

Thank you for your input in advance.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:35 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

My GM tech quoted me 6 to 8 hours of labor and is using a summit racing product on my c6 ..

The wobble is fine...imo ...its when the air conditioning belt starts to chirp for five minutes every morning and then goes away when warmed up...that it's time to change the harmonic balancer..imo and I'm now just thinking of doing the job...

I'm waiting to see if the chirping goes away in the warm weather...

The hard rubber in the harmonic balancer is loosing elasticity in my opinion...and that internal imbalance is what causes the wobble. When the wobble gets so much that the ac belt creates a chirping noise that's about the time to replace the harmonic balancer..imo

That's how my world class GM tech has explained this situation to me on my c6...

Mine visually wobbled for tens of thousands of miles...

The chirping is a nuance...as I start the vehicle up.

I was debating putting on a supercharger with 8 hours of labor being discussed just to remove and install the harmonic balancer. I doubt I'll do the supercharger as I find I'm beginning to itch for my fourth new corvette...although with prices climbing I'm thinking Bentley preowned or maybe that brand spanking new c8..

My guys prices is a little high but I like him so I'm not nickel and diming him on this job.

They give me a free loaner so what the hell..it's all just buried in the price anyway.

You post reminds me to set up the appointment..

Good luck and the c5 I'm sure is a different part...but your quote for labor is a very good deal.

If you do a search...I think you'll find powerbond or ATI are good choices...

Btw I got ten years one month and 119k miles on my stock harmonic balancer...

Missed the extended warranty coverage by this...much...

God dam it...

My fault entirely.

Good luck

Last edited by JerriVette; 04-10-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:46 PM
1997 C5
Pro

Originally Posted by JerriVette
My GM tech quoted me 6 to 8 hours of labor and is using a summit racing product on my c6 ..

The wobble is fine...imo ...its when the air conditioning belt starts to chirp for five minutes every morning and then goes away when warmed up...that it's time to change the harmonic balancer..imo and I'm now just thinking of doing the job...

I'm waiting to see if the chirping goes away in the warm weather...

The hard rubber in the harmonic balancer is loosing elasticity in my opinion...and that internal imbalance is what causes the wobble. When the wobble gets so much that the ac belt creates a chirping noise that's about the time to replace the harmonic balancer..imo

That's how my world class GM tech has explained this situation to me on my c6...

Mine visually wobbled for tens of thousands of miles...

The chirping is a nuance...as I start the vehicle up.

I was debating putting on a supercharger with 8 hours of labor being discussed just to remove and install the harmonic balancer. I doubt I'll do the supercharger as I find I'm beginning to itch for my fourth new corvette...although with prices climbing I'm thinking Bentley preowned or maybe that brand spanking new c8..

My guys prices is a little high but I like him so I'm not nickel and diming him on this job.

They give me a free loaner so what the hell..it's all just buried in the price anyway.

You post reminds me to set up the appointment..

Good luck and the c5 I'm sure is a different part...but your quote for labor is a very good deal.

If you do a search...I think you'll find powerbond or ATI are good choices...

Btw I got ten years one month and 119k miles on my stock harmonic balancer...

Missed the extended warranty coverage by this...much...

God dam it...

My fault entirely.

Good luck
I just started researching and the ATI Super Dampner is roughly $450.00 - $500.00 that's too much imo. Mine is chirping coming from ac belt system. I replaced the serpentine belt idler pulley that didn't solve the problem. I started up the car w/o serpentine belt and the chirping is still there constantly there so it has to be either a/c belt, a/c belt tensioner, a/c idler pulley and lastly a/c compressor. I have new a/c belt so this weekend I'm going to take the serpentine belt and a/c belt off and spin the a/c idler pulley, belt tensioner and see and replace the a/c belt then start up the car see still making chirping noise b/4 I replace harmonic balancer. But for piece of mind I may still replace the harmonic balancer.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Alot of people use this for a stock replacement
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pbb-pb1117n
Old 04-10-2018, 06:01 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My research on this forum led me to conclude that Powerbond is the best value replacement. I went with stock size (no underdrive). Bought it st Summit for $74

just saw Smoken1’s post. That’s two of us giving that advice.

Last edited by emptnest; 04-10-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:51 PM
1997 C5
Pro

Originally Posted by emptnest
My research on this forum led me to conclude that Powerbond is the best value replacement. I went with stock size (no underdrive). Bought it st Summit for $74

just saw Smoken1’s post. That’s two of us giving that advice.
I saw the power band Smoken 1 link. Can you tell me what the difference is from that one to the oem one is?

Did you go with oem bolt?

Last edited by 1997 C5; 04-10-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:01 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997 C5
I saw the power band Smoken 1 link. Can you tell me what the difference is from that one to the oem one is?

Did you go with oem bolt?
Powerbond is said to be better quality, longer life, more reliable than oem.

it hits the sweet spot in value, providing great service at lower cost than other options. Others might be marginally better, but for 2x or 3x the $$. The extra costs, in my mind, are justified only if you are building for huge HP.

I went with upgraded ARP bolt. Going from memory, it was $10-$15.

Last edited by emptnest; 04-10-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:48 PM
493lszosix
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Another vote here for the Powerbond with arp bolt, been running it for years with no issues!
Old 04-10-2018, 09:09 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 228 Posts

I did the Powerbond $75.00, ARP bolt and new seal, two O rings on the power steering lines.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:47 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

I would do the ARP bolt as well, ATI is considered the best balancer but I understand that many don't push their cars as hard or plan on doing mods and they may consider it overkill.

I do recommend the ARP bolt as I am not a fan of torque to yield bolts. If you go ARP make sure whoever installs it follows ARP's procedure.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:04 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

This thread convinced me to contact my tech and make an appointment to have the summit racing harmonic balancer installed ..

Not sure which brand that involves but if my guys says that's what I should use..then that's what I'm doing.

That stupid chirping noise for the first five or ten minutes I thought wouldn't bother me but after reading your post on your c5 today I decided..I might as well go for it.

Thanks...and best of luck...and I agree the five hundred dollar ATI is an overkill.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:56 PM
1997 C5
Pro

Originally Posted by pjdbm
I did the Powerbond $75.00, ARP bolt and new seal, two O rings on the power steering lines.
Ok thanks, I will go with power band $74.00 one and ARP bolt. The seal is it called timing cover seal? Summit racing listed round seal called it timing cover seal. Isn't harmonic balancer

mounted on the crackshaft and the seal is on the front of crack shaft right? Sorry for dumb question but i'm new to this kinda stuff. I'm learning as I go.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:01 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Powerbond 25% underdrive if you don't think you'll ever supercharge.

Powerbond stock replacement + pin if you might down the line.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:12 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

ACDelco 12585673
its a timing cover seal, the power steering o rings, I got from a dealer. Don’t have that part # with me now.

I bought the HB puller and installer from Summit, great tools! They price match so get good prices!
Old 04-11-2018, 03:38 PM
1997 C5
Pro

ACDelco 12585673
its a timing cover seal, the power steering o rings, I got from a dealer. Don’t have that part # with me now.

I bought the HB puller and installer from Summit, great tools! They price match so get good prices!
OK I looked at the engine/crank shaft/ cam shaft diagram. The cranck shaft has no seal at front right?
Do I have to replace the timing cover gasket since that has to come off to replace the timing cover seal( timing cover seal more like cam shaft seal ) ?
Old 04-11-2018, 04:23 PM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

Powerbond with ARP bolt here.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:53 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

OK I looked at the engine/crank shaft/ cam shaft diagram. The cranck shaft has no seal at front right?
Do I have to replace the timing cover gasket since that has to come off to replace the timing cover seal( timing cover seal more like cam shaft seal ) ?
After you remove the HB, you will see this, that black seal gets pulled out without removing timing chain cover
Attached Images  

Last edited by pjdbm; 04-11-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic balancer recommendations

Old 04-11-2018, 04:57 PM
1997 C5
Pro

After you remove the HB, you will see this, that black seal gets pulled out without removing timing chain cover
Thank you so much for your speedy response.
pjdbm (04-12-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 05:16 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Thank you so much for your speedy response.
I couldn't find the perfect pic, I did not take many when I did it but to be clear
You dont need to remove that timing chain cover and any pick/small screw driver would work, I just elected to buy a $7.00 seal removal tool. Comes off easy and the new one goes on easy,
Old 04-11-2018, 05:38 PM
1997 C5
Pro

That photo says it all. Thank you!
pjdbm (04-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer recommendations