Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Service Fuel System????

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 06:40 PM
MyOwn69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Service Fuel System????

Service fuel system ????

Has GM "fessed-up" to this universal mess yet, or am I still on the hook to pay $700 or so to correct their f**k-up on going cheap on a great car?

The "DIC" lights up and tells me to "SERVICE FUEL SYSTEM" - the fuel gauge spikes at zero - and I go "DAMN!"

When I fill the tank, the gauge spikes "0" and the DIC tells me "FUEL LOW!" - after I just filled it!

And, yes, I've had experience in this - my C5 2001 had it, now the C6 2009.

Really?

Have a friend in Houston that went through the same thing - he just paid to have it fixed - but really, isn't this a common thing?

They don't care about it - or just want to avoid fixing it?
Old 04-13-2018, 06:57 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Use fuel with "Techron" in it, or add a bottle every few tanks of gas. Not that is will fix the issue, but most have said on here for years now it helps. Do a search.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Saw your post in the C7 section. So what code is active when you see the message? My C6Z had the passenger side fuel sender go bad. The variable wiping resistor was totally worn out and no amount of Techron was going to fix it. Miserable job which made me glad my GMPP warranty covered it in full.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
BRISLS1 (07-19-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 10:07 PM
MyOwn69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default !

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Saw your post in the C7 section. So what code is active when you see the message? My C6Z had the passenger side fuel sender go bad. The variable wiping resistor was totally worn out and no amount of Techron was going to fix it. Miserable job which made me glad my GMPP warranty covered it in full.

Bill
Thanks, Bill!
Yeah, somehow my post ended up over there and they're responding: WTF??? Oops!
Anyhow, I know it is a sender problem - had it in the C5 and now my C6.
I've done the Techron thing and it still continues.
Really, it is a GM problem and they should stand by it and fix it, especially since I'm out of warranty (just like I was with the valves - yeah, an LS7 Z06!).
Again, thanks for the response!
Old 06-30-2018, 12:21 AM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Just started on my C6 base - 146K miles...
Old 06-30-2018, 06:21 AM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 186 Posts

Man I sure hope this never happens to me. This would absolutely drive me crazy. I'm going to start the techron treatment with next fill up. Good luck with the fix!
Old 07-19-2018, 10:39 AM
BRISLS1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14,’19

This just happened to me. I have about 9 months remaining on my Carmax MaxCare agreement, but they are charging me $1700 to repair this, because "it is not a mechanical part".
Every other repair I have had (minor shifter rattle, etc..), would have been covered by a recall/TSB. So if you sum together the cost of the Carmax plan, and this repair, you get close to $3000 wasted.

Now, this would be just a learning experience.. (stupid car buyer didn't understand Carmax contracts). But I had a C5 Z06 from them before this, and they replaced the BCM ( that's right, the body control module computer ) for free, less a $50 deductible. So this ain't my first rodeo. And even if the fine print is right and I am wrong.. isn't it just good business practice to repair something as vital as the fuel sending unit for free? I mean, we have been getting fuel into car engines since 1908. We've had 100 years to get this to work.

Happy Thursday, thanks for listening.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:33 AM
El Paso Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

This has been happening to me for about a year. The dealer gave me the first GM solution which is the bottle of some sort of additive for $20. It worked very well and the gauge came alive, until it did not. Then I think I figured out what to do. I never have the problem when the tank is more than half full and driven all the time. When I let it sit with a low tank, the problem occurs. So, if you are garaging your car, then fill the tank up before you let it sit. Seems to work so far for me. I will keep everyone posted on this one.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:03 PM
BRISLS1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14,’19

The reason you don't have it with a near full tank, is because there are 2 tanks and 2 sensors. If you have less than half a tank, and one sensor is bad, then you can imagine, the system alarms. I can't prove or explain why that would be, but it just makes sense. One sensor is always being given enough to assume what the measurement of the other is, even if it is not alive. Just a guess. Below half full, one sensor can't assume there is even a drop in the other side, especially if the crossover tube is above sea level.

My dealer said there is a tube that connects the left and right sides and that the tube "siezed" when they went to replace the sending unit. I replied back " so you broke something and now i have to pay up?" It went further downhill from there with me just losing ground in my case for help with the cost.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:28 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Happened to me on my old C5Z, and mega-doses of Techron additive fixed it in a couple tanks. Kept the techron additive on the PM schedule, and the issue never reoccurred. Do the same for my C6Z, and the issue has never come up. I buy it by the case at Costco.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:28 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

I understand that GM should have figured this out by now, but I really don't understand the levels of frustration/anger expressed. I simply know that when I fill it up all the way, I'll see the alarm until it drops to 7/8ths of tank.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:57 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

It last until warranty is out, good enough for them. After that a nice revenue source for servicing. Sounds like a perfect design for a modern auto maker.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:10 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Happened to me on my old C5Z, and mega-doses of Techron additive fixed it in a couple tanks. Kept the techron additive on the PM schedule, and the issue never reoccurred. Do the same for my C6Z, and the issue has never come up. I buy it by the case at Costco.
I use Techron also, curious, how often do you use it, every tankful, other?
Old 07-20-2018, 01:53 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Too-Fast

I use Techron also, curious, how often do you use it, every tankful, other?

When I lived in Orange County, I did the "big" bottle of techron every third tank. I now buy a case of techron at Costco, but they are the smaller bottles. I use a small bottle every tank to every other tank...and given I drive my car so much less here, a tank of gas lasts me a while.
The following users liked this post:
Too-Fast (07-20-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 01:53 PM
sharkva
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BRISLS1

My dealer said there is a tube that connects the left and right sides and that the tube "siezed" when they went to replace the sending unit. I replied back " so you broke something and now i have to pay up?" It went further downhill from there with me just losing ground in my case for help with the cost.
What dealer? - I am also in Richmond.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:20 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

The trick I used in 2 C5's and 2 C6's was during fueling. When the fuel pump stops, don't top off. That was all.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:37 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I put up with this problem for three years before replacing the fuel level sensor. This thread was most helpful. Beware that excessive use of fuel additives can lead to oil contamination and potentially engine failure.

Originally Posted by bjmsam
Today I tackled this daunting repair in hopes of addressing code P2068 and found this video extremely helpful. Here is a photo of the problem, which on my 2007 Z06 started throwing the code in 2015. Techron did nothing but contaminate my oil (elevated lead). Considering the fragile design, replacing the sending unit in the other tank while this side is out (and therefore not fighting the crossover tube) may be prudent.

Originally Posted by steel_3d
The main point I want to make here is that Techron or any fuel system cleaner CANNOT help with this problem once it gets past a certain point. The reason is that the contacts get completely worn off the float arm, and they just don't make contact with the rheostat any longer.

Whatever you do, don't do what I did, and run tank after tank of Techron, or double dose Techron. I think it might've cost me an engine rebuild. I had all kinds of metals come up on my oil test, and had bad compression and leakdown. Ended up doing a rebuild. Nothing else looked worn in my engine, but I guess the techron must have washed down my cylinders and messed up the ring seal. I can't be sure of this, but I don't have a better explanation. One thing is for sure: the techron did NOT fix my fuel gauge issues. See video.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Fuel System????

Quick Reply: Service Fuel System????