C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner: X-pipe questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 04:01 PM
nosyaj
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New owner: X-pipe questions!

Hello everyone! New '19 Grand Sport M7 owner here!

I'm looking to get the Borla x-pipe and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good deals out there. More so hoping for vendor responses

For any Texas members or heavy emission state members - Does the Borla x-pipe cause problems with you passing the smog/emissions test that is required? I know this x-pipe deletes the secondary cats, and I'm not sure if I would run into the smog test problems with this or not. I imagine not.

I'm also targeting the stage 2 aero winglets for the spoiler. Any good deals out there on these?

I'm thinking about getting the "poverty" front splitter painted the carbon flash black metallic to match the side skirts and spoiler instead of just the grainy plastic black. Anyone have a good estimated price I should be targeting for. I'm not experienced with external modifications to cars, especially a Vette, and I want to make sure I get it done right the first time without being overcharged. Is this something I can/should request the dealer to do to make sure it's done proper? Or maybe that's too far-fetched due to overpricing (stealership).

Also, quick question about the fuse 42 pull for the disabled NPP exhaust. Any long term problems with just keeping the fuse pulled or are the necessary work-arounds posted needed to avoid any potential problems from occurring. I'd pretty much rather take the easy way and just pull the sucker out, but if there are long term problems associated with that then I'll avoid it. Not trying to mess up a new car with only 300 miles on it.

Thanks for all the input and advice! Feels great to be a part of the Vette community!

Jayson

Last edited by nosyaj; 04-14-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:25 PM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 353 Posts

I did the fuse pull. The bad thing about that though is when your cruising on freeway,no way to close valves for a quite ride. Really found no logic in doing this.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:35 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 588 Likes on 519 Posts

Hey,

We have the best price on that borla xpipe. In stock, ready to ship.

Contact us and we'll get you taken care of!

-Josh
Old 04-14-2018, 05:09 PM
nosyaj
Heel & Toe

Another quick question I forgot to ask which I'll add to the OP:

For any Texas members or heavy emission state members - Does the Borla x-pipe cause problems with you passing the smog/emissions test that is required? I know this x-pipe deletes the secondary cats, and I'm not sure if I would run into the smog test problems with this or not. I imagine not.

Thanks again,
Jayson
Old 04-14-2018, 05:21 PM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Obviously you're looking for better sound. Borla Xpipe will help with that, fuse 42 pull ,no long term problems First thing I did on ours and my wife's 2008 c6, even though ours is a base with Z51 package I installed the stage 3 winglets ( yours is sooooo much easier) I believe my wife got them off Ebay. Not sure about getting carbon flash paint.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:11 PM
nosyaj
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MerakiAutoworks
Hey,

We have the best price on that borla xpipe. In stock, ready to ship.

Contact us and we'll get you taken care of!

-Josh
Sent you an e-mail!

Originally Posted by 08velocity
Obviously you're looking for better sound. Borla Xpipe will help with that, fuse 42 pull ,no long term problems First thing I did on ours and my wife's 2008 c6, even though ours is a base with Z51 package I installed the stage 3 winglets ( yours is sooooo much easier) I believe my wife got them off Ebay. Not sure about getting carbon flash paint.
Hey 08velocity, thanks for the response! I have found a bunch with the carbon flash painted on ebay and other vendor sites. I was posting that portion to see if anyone had good experiences with "x" vendor so that I'm not just pulling the trigger on some random vendor with zero positives.

The only reason I was asking as far as any long term problems was because of this video:
I'm not sure if it's because he has a Z or if it was just a coincidence for him...but I definitely don't want to be losing any functionality between any electronic functions within the car if this were a possibility.

Thanks again!
Jayson

Last edited by nosyaj; 04-14-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:14 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

From what I hear the secondary cats are a euro requirement.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by nosyaj
Hello everyone! New '19 Grand Sport owner here!

I'm looking to get the Borla x-pipe and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good deals out there. More so hoping for vendor responses

I'm also targeting the stage 2 aero winglets for the spoiler. Any good deals out there on these?

I'm thinking about getting the "poverty" front splitter painted the carbon flash black metallic to match the side skirts and spoiler instead of just the grainy plastic black. Anyone have a good estimated price I should be targeting for. I'm not experienced with external modifications to cars, especially a Vette, and I want to make sure I get it done right the first time without being overcharged. Is this something I can/should request the dealer to do to make sure it's done proper? Or maybe that's too far-fetched due to overpricing (stealership).

Also, quick question about the fuse 42 pull for the disabled NPP exhaust. Any long term problems with just keeping the fuse pulled or are the necessary work-arounds posted needed to avoid any potential problems from occurring. I'd pretty much rather take the easy way and just pull the sucker out, but if there are long term problems associated with that then I'll avoid it. Not trying to mess up a new car with only 300 miles on it.

Thanks for all the input and advice! Feels great to be a part of the Vette community!

Jayson
There is no need to pull the fuse to keep the exhaust open. Use the settings menu accessible on the center screen to set your exhaust to track mode and it will stay open all the time. I have my Z06 set that way and the exhaust is open all the time.

Bill
Old 04-14-2018, 07:38 PM
nosyaj
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
There is no need to pull the fuse to keep the exhaust open. Use the settings menu accessible on the center screen to set your exhaust to track mode and it will stay open all the time. I have my Z06 set that way and the exhaust is open all the time.

Bill
From what I've read, the Z system and the Grand Sport system operates differently. For the Z it does stay open as you said, but for the Grand Sport, even with the engine sound management is set to Track (which is what I have it set as), the valves stay closed up until about 1700 rpms. It gets quite annoying to me as a younger guy (about to hit 30) as I like to hear that impressive exhaust note 24/7. I was quite disappointed to learn that the NPP function for this dual mode exhaust does not get bypassed when selecting the option for track. It is what it is.

Thanks,
Jayson
Old 04-14-2018, 08:02 PM
Johnp94
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 123 Posts

i had the fused pulled for the last 3000 miles. 2014 Z51, no problems except it’s still not loud enough.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:31 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
The A8 Z06 with the settings on track will still close the valves at low rpm, cruise conditions. I pulled #42 and there is a difference.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:37 PM
nosyaj
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Johnp94
i had the fused pulled for the last 3000 miles. 2014 Z51, no problems except it’s still not loud enough.
Thanks for the response and update! I hear a lot that it's still not loud enough. I'm hoping the x-pipe will do justice, if not...there are always more things that can be done

Last edited by nosyaj; 04-14-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:47 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 588 Likes on 519 Posts

Your order will ship tomorrow !

-Josh
The following users liked this post:
nosyaj (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 07:57 PM
nosyaj
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MerakiAutoworks
Your order will ship tomorrow !

-Josh
Thanks for the great deal Josh!!!

I'm still looking for anyone with any sort of experience with paint shops. I'm not sure what kind of price range I should be shooting for to paint the "poverty" splitter. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Jayson
Old 04-16-2018, 08:13 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by nosyaj
Thanks for the response and update! I hear a lot that it's still not loud enough. I'm hoping the x-pipe will do justice, if not...there are always more things that can be done
Don't get me wrong it is better, but my X pipe (Borla) didn't make a huge difference. Maybe 10% louder. Still glad I did it.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:16 PM
scott554
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the DFW also and have a 2015 Z51. I am running the Borla X-pipe with the Magna Flow Competition Series exhaust system, mild to wild and a cold air setup. I just had mine inspected to get tag renewal and had no problem passing emissions. I can say the X pipe alone was not loud to me so I purchased the Magna Flow system and installed it. I can say there is a huge difference in the sound inside and outside with this setup. I love it loud but my neighbors do know when I'm coming and going.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:46 PM
Rdubfalco
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Install Long Headers and catless x pipe to factory mufflers for your loudness needs. Have stealth and track modes all in one. Done.
spinkick (04-21-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To New owner: X-pipe questions!

Old 04-21-2018, 11:23 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rdubfalco
Install Long Headers and catless x pipe to factory mufflers for your loudness needs. Have stealth and track modes all in one. Done.
I dont think you can do long tubes with the borla x pipe he just bought. I think they make two different ones
Old 04-21-2018, 05:09 PM
Rdubfalco
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
I dont think you can do long tubes with the borla x pipe he just bought. I think they make two different ones
Yes,, I think he's stuck with the Borla x pipes as from what I understand every header brand has there own x-pipe that will only fit there specific headers. So depending on what he wants to do he might just want to sell the x pipe and re examine his plan. Headers are the best bang for the buck if someone is willing to go that route. Good Luck
spinkick (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 07:33 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rdubfalco
Yes,, I think he's stuck with the Borla x pipes as from what I understand every header brand has there own x-pipe that will only fit there specific headers. So depending on what he wants to do he might just want to sell the x pipe and re examine his plan. Headers are the best bang for the buck if someone is willing to go that route. Good Luck
I thought that the exhaust side was pretty good on this car. I thought unless you were at a z06 or so you wouldnt see too much gain, and most of it is in the tune, headers or not. Wrong? Is it best to get them jet coated and then get a tune? How much louder are we talking? I like to have a conversation in the car on the highway, would stock npp be good for that, and would that reduce my gainz? Thank you!

Quick Reply: New owner: X-pipe questions!