C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Manual Trans not shifting with engine running

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 05:14 PM
braveheart3158
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default C7 Manual Trans not shifting with engine running

My friend has a 2015 C7 Manual with 10k miles. He is not good with the computer so I said i would reach out to the forum to see if anyone could help.

1-Started engine with clutch engaged and in neutral. . Shiftier would not shift out of neutral into any gear.
2- Engine off...shifter would shift out of neutral into any gear
3- Started engine in 1st gear, clutch and brake engaged and parking brake on. When the engine turned over the car lurched forward slightly as if the clutch was not engaged. Now the it shifts thru all gears with engine running.

Any one know what this may have been? He is hoping it was temporary but would like to find out what it might have been.

He is not 100% sure but a short shifter may have been installed by a previous owner. He has never had a C7 before.

thanks in advance
Old 04-14-2018, 07:32 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Maybe the computer has something to do with it.Take the cable off the battery for 15 minutes then hook it back up and try again.If that don’t work then it would be time to see the dealership.
The following users liked this post:
braveheart3158 (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 11:04 AM
braveheart3158
Racer

Originally Posted by thrilled
Maybe the computer has something to do with it.Take the cable off the battery for 15 minutes then hook it back up and try again.If that don’t work then it would be time to see the dealership.
Thanks for the idea. If it happens again I will suggest he do that for sure. I will also suggest he bring it to the dealer sometime this week to check it out. For his sake i hope its under Warranty.

He also said it is difficult getting it into reverse. I guess the dealer can look at that to.

Last edited by braveheart3158; 04-15-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:17 PM
CourtneyJudd
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 95 Posts
Default same thing!

Originally Posted by braveheart3158
My friend has a 2015 C7 Manual with 10k miles. He is not good with the computer so I said i would reach out to the forum to see if anyone could help.

1-Started engine with clutch engaged and in neutral. . Shiftier would not shift out of neutral into any gear.
2- Engine off...shifter would shift out of neutral into any gear
3- Started engine in 1st gear, clutch and brake engaged and parking brake on. When the engine turned over the car lurched forward slightly as if the clutch was not engaged. Now the it shifts thru all gears with engine running.

Any one know what this may have been? He is hoping it was temporary but would like to find out what it might have been.

He is not 100% sure but a short shifter may have been installed by a previous owner. He has never had a C7 before.

thanks in advance
same identical thing happened to me... i bought a 2014 Z51 M7 about a year ago and didn't like the stock shifter.... replaced it with a MGW and loved it... worked great... a month ago got in it and cranked it up and would not go in any gear.... turned it off and it would go in all gears.... cranked it back up and same thing. finally started it up in gear.... made a small lurch and all back to normal. It has never happened again.... no clue what or why this happened but maybe something to do with the skip 1 to 4 th lock out.... maybe someone has the answer! Courtney Judd
braveheart3158 (10-18-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 02:09 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

That's odd. Almost like the clutch wasn't pulling out. Like mechanically bound. And the lurch unbound it.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:52 PM
CourtneyJudd
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 95 Posts
Default no dont think so

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
That's odd. Almost like the clutch wasn't pulling out. Like mechanically bound. And the lurch unbound it.
Don't think the clutch had anything to do with it. With the engine off you could shift into any gear.... clutch or not.... more like the 1st gear to 4th gear cut out at low rpm was preventing any shifting but then again what do i know according to my wife! CJ
Old 04-15-2018, 04:03 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by CourtneyJudd
Don't think the clutch had anything to do with it. With the engine off you could shift into any gear.... clutch or not.... more like the 1st gear to 4th gear cut out at low rpm was preventing any shifting but then again what do i know according to my wife! CJ
Dont think it has anything to do with 1-4 lockout. If it did, you’d be able to get it into at least 4th gear. Bruno is prolly right. Likely has to do with clutch disengagement sticking or maybe the throw out bearing getting stuck somehow..
astaggs (10-21-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 05:46 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Clutch pedal in is clutch disengaged, clutch pedal out is clutch engaged. The OP's friends problem sounds more like an issue where the clutch is sticking and not completely disengaging similar to what you might get before the clutch pedal sticks to the floor. My C6Z would start doing that while on track. After a few laps the clutch pedal wouldn't disengage the clutch until further down in its travel and the point where it disengaged would drop lower and lower until the pedal stuck on the floor. After it stuck in the down position I could use the toe of my shoe to pull it back up. It would work fine for a while and then the disengagement point would drop lower and lower again. GM sent all owners a letter stating they would warranty the clutch master cylinder for 10 years after the car's in service date and would replace the master cylinder if the clutch stuck to the floor during that period. Once the replacement master was installed the clutch problem disappeared.

Bill
Old 04-16-2018, 07:28 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Here's my WAG, (wild *** guess), IF the car hasn't started and been run, (winter storage), the clutch disc is/was, rusted/stuck to the flywheel. It could have been very humid when stored.

Try to start the car in gear with the clutch pedal down, (disengaged), and his foot HARD on the brake pedal. That will free the disc.

If that doesn't work, you have an issue with the clutch hydraulics.

Last edited by rrsperry; 04-16-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:11 AM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

I would do the ranger method and flush the fluid. That stuff gets nasty quick.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:41 AM
braveheart3158
Racer

Turns out he was not pressing the brake what trying to release the parking brake!!! Lol
Old 09-25-2018, 06:48 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

I have seen and experienced this before. After beating the **** out of the stock clutch, some of the lining may delaminate and fold a small piece of itself over. This makes the disc thicker in that spot and when you press the pedal, the disc is still spinning with the crank. If the area is small, driving it will clear it out. Recently, a 2016 got a new clutch because of this very thing. The transmission shop butchered the car and cracked the bellhousing, but rolled it out the door anyway. I fixed it for him, and his lawyer is deposing me tomorrow. I know, too much info ��
Old 10-04-2018, 03:52 PM
braveheart3158
Racer

Originally Posted by JHEBERT
I have seen and experienced this before. After beating the **** out of the stock clutch, some of the lining may delaminate and fold a small piece of itself over. This makes the disc thicker in that spot and when you press the pedal, the disc is still spinning with the crank. If the area is small, driving it will clear it out. Recently, a 2016 got a new clutch because of this very thing. The transmission shop butchered the car and cracked the bellhousing, but rolled it out the door anyway. I fixed it for him, and his lawyer is deposing me tomorrow. I know, too much info ��
I posted above that the parking break was not disengaging because he had not stepped on the brake pedal to release the parking Brake. Always seems to be the most obvious lol
Old 10-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Submerge
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

The parking brake on my M7 releases by itself as the clutch is released, forward or reverse.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:08 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

This is a mechanical issue with the clutch itself and not some electrical issue. The fact that the car lurched forward in 1st gear with the clutch pedal depressed means the clutch was contacting the flywheel, a tell tale sign you clutch is having mechanical problems. Could be the Master/Slave that is not creating the necessary pressure to lift the clutch off the flywheel face or something in the pressure plate itself.

Also, note, the reason you can shift all gears when the engine is off is because the input shaft is not spinning inside the transmission. You don't even need to press the clutch in to shift into any gears for a trans/clutch that is operating properly. So this part is irrelevant to your issues.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:36 PM
Submerge
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Mine too. Only have to set it, never release it.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:39 AM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I have to manually disengage mine no matter what.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Manual Trans not shifting with engine running

Old 10-11-2018, 02:19 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by Submerge
Mine too. Only have to set it, never release it.
I have to release mine always. If I don't the car won't move.

Originally Posted by Ghostnotes
I have to manually disengage mine no matter what.
Same for me. I have a 2015 so maybe its related to year? Seems rather unsafe that the brake would auto release in the manor described above.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:55 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

In regards to the M7 specifically, It will only auto release if it senses you forgot to release it. As in, if you put the car in gear and start to give it gas it will auto release. Mine does this.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:14 PM
braveheart3158
Racer

The issue was that he was not stepping on brake pedal to release the parking brake. Thanks.

Quick Reply: C7 Manual Trans not shifting with engine running