C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Gear Selector Problem

Old 04-14-2018, 06:41 PM
08redrocket
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Automatic Gear Selector Problem

I parked my 08 automatic trans Coupe today and when I started it and tried to drive it the gear selector will not get drive, or anyother gear. The selector is loose when it goes back and forth.

Seems like the connection to the trans is undone. What does it take to disassemble and check the selector connection? How is the selector attached to the trans? Is it inside of the trans or an exterior connection?

Luckily this happened in my driveway after a 110 mile ride!

Thanks in advance for information.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:02 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by 08redrocket
I parked my 08 automatic trans Coupe today and when I started it and tried to drive it the gear selector will not get drive, or anyother gear. The selector is loose when it goes back and forth.

Seems like the connection to the trans is undone. What does it take to disassemble and check the selector connection? How is the selector attached to the trans? Is it inside of the trans or an exterior connection?

Luckily this happened in my driveway after a 110 mile ride!

Thanks in advance for information.
Do a search on your problem.There are tons of threads with step by step instructions on the fix....Good Luck.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:04 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

easy

the shifter has a cable to the trans - it connects with plastic bushings that can disintegrate

look at your local auto parts store for "pedal and shift linkage bushing kit " made by dorman

each "kit" has one bushing that will work - the rest are obviously the wrong size

Typically the bushing under the shifter is the one that goes 1st but both eventually fail.

Easiest way to approach this is to remove the center console then the sifter and see if its the one connected to the shifter - if that ones still connected to the line, then its hte rear one

rear can be accessed under the car - I dropped my tanks and loosened the exhaust pipes just to be able to get my hand in there and force the new bushign assembly in there

other option is get a new shifter cable.

whatever you do, dont remove the current cable without at least running a string attached to it so you can draw the cable back through the tunnel, otehriwse youre going to have to take a lot more stuff apart

there are plenty of threads on this with good pictures, but this should get you a genral idea of whats involved

good luck!
The following users liked this post:
08redrocket (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 12:59 PM
08redrocket
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks. i Appreciate the help.

I watched a couple of YouTube videos. They are for the manual shifter but removing the console is the same. The lighter, traction control and emergency flasher connections are slightly different from the videos but with the same idea. With the automatic, remove the four 10mm nuts that hold the selector to the tunnel and the selector will lift right out. The deteriorated bushing is very accessible.

I was quoted $493 to do the job. Doesn't take an hour and the cost will be the bushing that I will get after market for $15.

Last edited by 08redrocket; 04-21-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic Gear Selector Problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Automatic Gear Selector Problem