Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Protect the headlight covers, any way?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 05:56 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Protect the headlight covers, any way?

Have any of you guys with "older" c6's tried any way to preserve/protect/prevent damage to the headlight covers, I figure they are awful expensive and I hate how they look cloudy.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:53 PM
cseaman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

lamin-x.
The following users liked this post:
froggy47 (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:12 PM
RWE 427
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Headlight film is not recommended for the C6 headlights. It can cause them to craze or crack on the inside
Old 04-17-2018, 11:26 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by RWE 427
Headlight film is not recommended for the C6 headlights. It can cause them to craze or crack on the inside
Can you link me to some specifics, not that I doubt you, but just to separate fact from often repeated misinformation.

cseaman (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 12:22 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I installed suntek ultra on mine. Wish I had it from day 1.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:52 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,135 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by rio95
I installed suntek ultra on mine. Wish I had it from day 1.
I have Xpel PPF on my headlamps. Been there for several years. No cracking so far.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:04 PM
RWE 427
Drifting

Originally Posted by froggy47
Can you link me to some specifics, not that I doubt you, but just to separate fact from often repeated misinformation.

It's right on the lamin-x website in the description
***DISCLAIMER:THE C6 CORVETTE HAS EXTREMELY SENSITIVE HEADLIGHT LENSES THAT ARE HIGHLY PRONE TO CRACKING. GM RECOMMENDS AGAINST COVERING THE LENSES WITH ANY MATERIAL DUE TO POTENTIAL CRACKING ISSUES. AS SUCH, THE PARTICULAR KIT IS NON-REFUNDABLE AND HOLDS NO WARRANTY.***
https://www.lamin-x.com/Chevy-Corvet...-p/ch015cl.htm
Old 04-18-2018, 09:18 PM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 135 Posts

I asked about that very same description in the past:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-prevent.html

There's some good info in that thread...but...

...I am with froggy...where did they get this information from? While I have confidence in Lamin-X as I have used their products for many years and continue to do so because the quality is great, I simply want to know if/where GM actually recommended what Lamin-X has stated?

I also have two "BTW"s...
  1. I bought some of the Umnitza's lenses as I knew (based on the link above) no matter what I did, I will eventually run into problems with my lenses
  2. froggy47, I am subscribed to your channel and really like your vids...keep it up!
Old 04-18-2018, 09:33 PM
RWE 427
Drifting

Originally Posted by JDebler

...I am with froggy...where did they get this information from? While I have confidence in Lamin-X as I have used their products for many years and continue to do so because the quality is great, I simply want to know if/where GM actually recommended what Lamin-X has stated?

1. I bought some of the Umnitza's lenses as I knew (based on the link above) no matter what I did, I will eventually run into problems with my lenses
  2. froggy47, I am subscribed to your channel and really like your vids...keep it up!
I have no info regarding GM recommending no headlight film. I've changed my lenses once and that's enough for me. I would like to have tinted film but it's just not worth the risk, that being said if mine were cracked I would throw some on there, what could it hurt

Last edited by RWE 427; 04-18-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:54 PM
RWE 427
Drifting

OK found some additional info. Factory Service Bulletin 02-08-42-001D dated June 2010.

​​​​Headlamp Lens Overheating When Covered and Chemical Damage to Exterior Polycarbonate Headlamp Lenses

Models:

2011 and Prior GM Passenger Cars

The bulletin is being issued to make dealers and customers aware of chemical damage that may be caused to exterior polycarbonate headlamp lenses. Most late model vehicles have these types of headlamp lenses. This material is used because of its temperature and high impact resistance.

A variety of chemicals can cause crazing or cracking of the headlamp lens. Headlamp lenses are very sensitive. Care should be exercised to avoid contact with all exterior headlamp lenses when treating a vehicle with any type of chemical, such as those recommended for rail dust removal. Rubbing compound, grease tar and oil removers, tire cleaners, cleaner waxes and even car wash soaps in too high a concentration may also attribute to this condition. This could result in the need to replace the entire headlamp housing.

Warning

Use only lukewarm or cold water, a soft cloth and a car washing soap to clean exterior lamps and lenses.

Care should be taken to not cover headlamps with shop mats or fender covers if the vehicle is being serviced with the headlamps or DRL illuminated. Covering an illuminated lamp can cause excessive heat build up and crazing/deformation of the lens may occur. The degradation of the lens can be unnoticeable at first and eventually become hairline cracks in the lens. In extreme cases, it could cause the lens to deform. This damage can also be caused by aftermarket shields that are often tinted in color.

Once a heat buildup is generated by the headlamp, a degradation of the headlamp lens begins. This degradation of the lens can be unnoticeable at first and eventually manifest as spider cracks. In more extreme cases, it will begin to melt the lens of the headlamp.

Notice

Headlamps damaged by chemicals, improper cleaning, or overheating due to being covered are not covered under the new vehicle warranty
https://tech.corvettecentral.com/201...vice-bulletins

​​​​

​​

Last edited by RWE 427; 04-18-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:19 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

At some point in its life, the headlights on my Z06 were coated with some brand of coating. When I bought the car in 2013, the headlights needed some work done. The coating seemed to have melted in places and evaporated, yet other places it was still intact. There was film in places and other places there was no film. They looked like they were diseased. I tried everything to remove the remaining pieces...nothing worked, not gasoline, paint thinner, wax, clay bar, finger nail polish remover, WD40...I have tried almost everything imaginable and nothing will remove the pieces, therefore, I would not recommend putting any kind of film over the headlights.
The following 2 users liked this post by LMB-Z:
71HO454 (04-19-2018), froggy47 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 10:07 AM
cseaman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting. I had not stumbled on any of this.

I installed clear Lamin-X on my 2007 in July 2017, when the car had 10k miles - no hazing or any issues were present at the time of install. It now has 25k miles and I have not noticed any adverse effects and they still look brand new. I also have had yellow Lamin-X on my foglights since 7k miles, with no issues there, either.
froggy47 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 12:48 PM
froggy47
Race Director

THANK YOU SIR!

Old 04-19-2018, 12:50 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by JDebler

Thanks Jason, If I do the lenses be assured there will be a video.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:54 PM
froggy47
Race Director

OK found some additional info. Factory Service Bulletin 02-08-42-001D dated June 2010.

https://tech.corvettecentral.com/201...vice-bulletins

​​​​

​​
OK call me a skeptic, but this smells a LOT like a CYA memo, for dealers to use to decline warranty claims. Just sayin.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:08 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Well here is where I am at re: this issue after a few days of inet research.

The original lenses will go to crap sooner or later , mostly depends on how many hours a day exposed to sunlight/wind/rain/snow/highway "contaminants", etc.

But if they sit in your garage under a nice cover and see about 2k miles a year they will last forever.

The effect of plastic covers seems to vary case by case and maybe type/color/thickness of plastic.

The plastic cover will be a benefit in the case of impact either track or highway, or autox cone. This is physical impact, not chemical, uvray, etc.

Mine will see about 5k mixed use per year.

I am "leaning" to trying the covers based on the argument "What have you got to lose, they will fail anyway and they are reasonably priced". I try to be rational and apply my common sense approach to car decisions.

If I come across any other info that applies I will post here & on my YT channel "Froggy's Garage".

You guys all all great, thanks!!!

Last edited by froggy47; 04-19-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:10 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
I have Xpel PPF on my headlamps. Been there for several years. No cracking so far.
Thanks Hib!

Get notified of new replies

To Protect the headlight covers, any way?

Old 04-19-2018, 01:13 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Let me add one question. I would like to buy the plastic by the "roll" rather than pre cut. Then apply/cut myself, then every 1-2 years peel it off , inspect, and reapply.

If anyone can post one of the best brands, seems there are 2-3, that sells by the "foot" I will try it out & post video.

Last edited by froggy47; 04-19-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:38 PM
Z06Corey
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Unrelated to your post Froggy, but I was at home this afternoon randomly clicking through C6Z videos (since the weather blows here) and what do I come across?

Old 04-19-2018, 05:15 PM
JesC6Z
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Well here is where I am at re: this issue after a few days of inet research.

The original lenses will go to crap sooner or later , mostly depends on how many hours a day exposed to sunlight/wind/rain/snow/highway "contaminants", etc.

But if they sit in your garage under a nice cover and see about 2k miles a year they will last forever.

The effect of plastic covers seems to vary case by case and maybe type/color/thickness of plastic.

The plastic cover will be a benefit in the case of impact either track or highway, or autox cone. This is physical impact, not chemical, uvray, etc.

Mine will see about 5k mixed use per year.

I am "leaning" to trying the covers based on the argument "What have you got to loose, they will fail anyway and they are reasonably priced". I try to be rational and apply my common sense approach to car decisions.

If I come across any other info that applies I will post here & on my YT channel "Froggy's Garage".

You guys all all great, thanks!!!
so you’re saying Laminex will not help against uvrays? That’s what their advertisement states tho

Quick Reply: Protect the headlight covers, any way?