Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Ceramic coating

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 01:33 PM
gtredlt4
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Ceramic coating

What do you all think about ceramic coatings? I ask because Ziebart has ceramic coating (Diamond Gloss) on sale for $999.00 in my neck of the woods. I've done some research and if I I don't have to clay bar, polish or wax for 7 years that just might be the way I want to go. My brother suggested I see a before and an after before I spend a grand. Please let me know what you think. Thank you all.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:43 PM
Maxharvard
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I did it to mine! Looks good and did it myself.
Step one: Wash

Step 2: Clay

Step 3: Color Correction

Step 4: Ceramic coat
Old 04-18-2018, 02:01 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Every time I think about trying to use a buffer I think I'm gonna burn a hole in the paint

Last edited by pjazz; 04-18-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:01 PM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 186 Posts

I have been wondering myself. I have a black car and it would be nice if it made keeping it clean easier.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:51 PM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

No product will delay your upkeep or protection of the paint besides a clear bra material or vinyl wrap.
The following users liked this post:
NotreOkc (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 05:23 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I never considered ceramic coating because I wanted protection from rock chips. I had no problem waxing the car to protect the finish, but I didn't want rock chips, so I went with Suntek paint protection film on the vulnerable areas.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:32 PM
Macattack
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I just had my car done with Ceramic Pro, the finish is as nice or better when I used Zaino products. It’s a breeze washing now, grab a foam gun and leaf blower and done. I think it is well worth it for dark colored cars (mine is black). No more waxing or long involved car washes, well worth the money, 800 bucks you get ceramic coat/wheels/brake calipers and windshield with a 5 year warranty. If you go with Zeibart ask if the paint correction is in the price, your results will depend on how well the paint is prepped. Goodluck, I’m happy with mine
Old 04-19-2018, 12:07 AM
z06_ryan
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the procedure when after time, the ceramic coating doesn't look good anymore? How do you get it off?
Old 04-19-2018, 04:54 AM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Ceramic coatings are well worth it. Love mine and it has xpel on it too.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:54 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 790 Likes on 534 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by z06_ryan
What's the procedure when after time, the ceramic coating doesn't look good anymore? How do you get it off?
I have no personal experience with removing it but was told by my clear mask installer that it needs to be removed by machine/buffer; one of the reasons I have hesitated in applying it to my car.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:48 PM
ranch41
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have done some paint correction for the last couple of years so I consider myself a hobbiest. I used to use Pinnacle products to perform paint correction, polish and sealing. This year I did the paint correction and ceramic coat on a white caddy, SSB Z06 CE, and Black ZL1. They all turned out great and would recommend ceramic coating for protection against light scratches and swirls. Clean up on my black car is quick and easy and comes out spectacular. In fact, I usually shy away from Black because we live on a dirt road and driving up the road during summer is like someone throwing handfuls of dirt and dust on the car. As far a longevity is concerned, it depends on driving conditions, cleaning procedures, and use. For instance, my CE is stored in a garage so the coat will last longer than my daily driven ZL1 parked outside. Bottom line is I would suggest doing the coat and if you can DIY, the better!
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2018, 12:50 PM
ranch41
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In order to remove the ceramic coat, I believe you have to buff it off similar to doing a paint correction.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:59 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by pjazz
Every time I think about trying to use a buffer I think I'm gonna burn a hole in the paint
Use a DA Polisher like a Porter Cable 7424XP, you would have to have it in the same spot for weeks to burn into your base coat.
They are usually rated by years, then the Coating starts degrading. You remove the coating by polishing, machine or by hand. Using a DA with a few passes gets it.

Ceramic Coating is the best protection for your car short of paint protection film. I have been Coating for over a year and became an IGL Installer this past January. Not only does Coating your car help with washing and make your car look glossy, it protects against bugs, bird poop, contamination, and small scratches.

If the $999 deal comes with 7 year coating as you said with paint correction it sounds like a good deal. Does that include wheels or anything else?

Here are some pictures of my work with IGL Quartz+:

Attached Images       
pjazz (04-21-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 01:05 PM
Daddy Freeman
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gtredlt4
What do you all think about ceramic coatings? I ask because Ziebart has ceramic coating (Diamond Gloss) on sale for $999.00 in my neck of the woods. I've done some research and if I I don't have to clay bar, polish or wax for 7 years that just might be the way I want to go. My brother suggested I see a before and an after before I spend a grand. Please let me know what you think. Thank you all.
I had my done with Kenzo Coating. When I wash my car, I put soap in a dispenser that I bought from Walmart and spray the soap on my car in about 2 minutes, rinse all of the soap of with regular water then get out the leaf blower to dry it off in about 3-4 minutes. I don't even have to touch my car. Plus, it really makes the paint look nice and deep. I would have any paint correction done before you do it that way it will look its absolute best. The detailer told me that this would last for 4 years realistically and maybe longer.
Innovate (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 01:09 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by Daddy Freeman
I had my done with Kenzo Coating. When I wash my car, I put soap in a dispenser that I bought from Walmart and spray the soap on my car in about 2 minutes, rinse all of the soap of with regular water then get out the leaf blower to dry it off in about 3-4 minutes. I don't even have to touch my car. Plus, it really makes the paint look nice and deep. I would have any paint correction done before you do it that way it will look its absolute best. The detailer told me that this would last for 4 years realistically and maybe longer.
IGL Kenzo is pretty much the best of the best, 10H rated and the gloss is practically unparalleled. That is true, as long as you perform maintenance washes the coating should last longer than rated!
Old 04-19-2018, 01:56 PM
gtredlt4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Macattack
I just had my car done with Ceramic Pro, the finish is as nice or better when I used Zaino products. It’s a breeze washing now, grab a foam gun and leaf blower and done. I think it is well worth it for dark colored cars (mine is black). No more waxing or long involved car washes, well worth the money, 800 bucks you get ceramic coat/wheels/brake calipers and windshield with a 5 year warranty. If you go with Zeibart ask if the paint correction is in the price, your results will depend on how well the paint is prepped. Goodluck, I’m happy with mine
That's what I want to hear - I like washing and clean the Z up just don't want to spend a weekend doing the clay bar, polishing and waxing. I believe the paint correction is part of it to with Ziebart but I will find out for sure. Thank you very much!!
Old 04-19-2018, 01:59 PM
gtredlt4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ranch41
I have done some paint correction for the last couple of years so I consider myself a hobbiest. I used to use Pinnacle products to perform paint correction, polish and sealing. This year I did the paint correction and ceramic coat on a white caddy, SSB Z06 CE, and Black ZL1. They all turned out great and would recommend ceramic coating for protection against light scratches and swirls. Clean up on my black car is quick and easy and comes out spectacular. In fact, I usually shy away from Black because we live on a dirt road and driving up the road during summer is like someone throwing handfuls of dirt and dust on the car. As far a longevity is concerned, it depends on driving conditions, cleaning procedures, and use. For instance, my CE is stored in a garage so the coat will last longer than my daily driven ZL1 parked outside. Bottom line is I would suggest doing the coat and if you can DIY, the better!
Wow you are not joking - those cars look great. You are very good at it obviously, well I'm not and just don't want to spend that much time doing it. I like cleaning the car for a couple of hours but all weekend - nope. Besides my elbow starts complaining about halfway through the clay bar, polishing and waxing. Thank you and more power to you for the fine job you do!!
Old 04-19-2018, 02:03 PM
gtredlt4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Innovate

Use a DA Polisher like a Porter Cable 7424XP, you would have to have it in the same spot for weeks to burn into your base coat.

They are usually rated by years, then the Coating starts degrading. You remove the coating by polishing, machine or by hand. Using a DA with a few passes gets it.

Ceramic Coating is the best protection for your car short of paint protection film. I have been Coating for over a year and became an IGL Installer this past January. Not only does Coating your car help with washing and make your car look glossy, it protects against bugs, bird poop, contamination, and small scratches.

If the $999 deal comes with 7 year coating as you said with paint correction it sounds like a good deal. Does that include wheels or anything else?

Here are some pictures of my work with IGL Quartz+:

Wow you are great at ceramic coating too!! I'm beginning to think I'm the only on this forum that's not good at all of this. Not sure about the wheels or anything else but I will find out. I'm hoping that for a grand they would do anything I wanted!! Thank you very much.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:48 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by gtredlt4
Wow you are great at ceramic coating too!! I'm beginning to think I'm the only on this forum that's not good at all of this. Not sure about the wheels or anything else but I will find out. I'm hoping that for a grand they would do anything I wanted!! Thank you very much.
It is all good man, you have to practice to learn! No problem!

Get notified of new replies

To Ceramic coating

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating