C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pulse--your opinion on what all to replace??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 08:21 PM
Wampa
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Brake pulse--your opinion on what all to replace??

I have a 2010 base with 71xxx on the clock. Looking forward to our annual Tail of the Dragon trip in the mountains of eastern NC where several days of extra spirited driving will occur. Getting car prepared, and have recently noticed a very subtle vibration in the car when on the brakes hard. I replaced front pads only a year and 10k miles ago. So....I don't want to cheap out and not properly remedy; but don't want to waste parts/money either. I intend to replace all 4 70k mile rotors. Do I also need to replace the front pads? Keep in mind they only have a year and 10k miles on them (and are $100...). I will be looking at rear pads later to inspect wear. What are your opinions on replacing rotors without replacing pads? Will old pads quickly wear to match new rotor surface or do I risk grooves etc in old pads eating into and damaging new rotors? Any performance concerns? I'm probably overthinking this; but with mountains, heavy braking, and a passenger I want to feel confident the car is operating properly. Also don't want to throw a wad of unnecessary $$ at it if makes no difference... Educate me!

Last edited by Wampa; 04-18-2018 at 08:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-18-2018, 09:18 PM
IansInGarage
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Opinions may vary, but I would pull front pads and inspect the surface of both. If relatively smooth then I would install on new rotors. And your rotors are probably what you are feeling.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:24 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

You can only change the rotors and keep the hardly worn pads. I would suspect that the pads would have at least 75% life remaining after only 10K miles, but I guess it depends on the use (racing, hard braking, etc.)

If you decide to keep the old pads on, you will have some reduced braking power until your old brake pads wear in the new rotors so the full pads makes contact with the full new rotors.
From that point on, you will be back to enjoying full braking power.

It's your decision.
The following users liked this post:
Wampa (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 10:29 PM
Wampa
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the input guys! After stressing it, I decided the expense is worth the piece of mind and ordered all new pads and rotors for all 4. I'm comfortable doing the labor so can rationalize the cost away lol. Any other opinions are still welcome as I'm sure some on here are much more experienced/knowledgeable on the subject and I could learn from your input!
Old 04-19-2018, 02:05 PM
superfast
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pulsation you felt at braking is due to your warped rotor(s) & your only year old front pads s/b fine so what you can do is put them back on when you replaced the rotors then go for a test drive. If the pulsation still there then you can swap them out w/ the new ones. Return or save the new pads for later.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:48 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 898 Likes on 584 Posts

Sounds like you've already got a plan but my 2 cents is that the pads can't cause the pulsing. It's almost always warped rotors but there is a small chance it's a bad wheel bearing.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:48 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Pad deposits can cause a warped rotor feel. You need a dial micrometer to determine if your rotors are warped. They often are not.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:24 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Pulsing brakes is most often a result of overheated pads that deposit on the rotor leading to uneven friction i.e. the pulsing.

You can clean the rotors or often re-bed if it's not too bad but sometimes it can require turning to make it go away.

The pad compound and driving style are what to balance with pad selection.

Ken
Old 04-19-2018, 05:57 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
Pad deposits can cause a warped rotor feel. You need a dial micrometer to determine if your rotors are warped. They often are not.

Hello Friends,

What many times happens is the rotor gets heated up during spirited driving and then you come to a stop and hold your foot on the brake pedal and some of the brake pad material is transferred to the rotor creating a sticky spot. Then when you brake you feel the pulsating that feels like a warped rotor but is simply a contaminated rotor.

I use a vibrating sander with 80 grit on my rotors to clean them up when installing a new set of pads.

Now I have a ZR1 so the vibrating sander is out!

Good Luck,

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 04-20-2018, 03:45 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by NY09C6
A good scruffing with garnet paper (not sand paper) might get rid of the warped rotor feel.

Tom
Old 04-20-2018, 10:53 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Stuck caliper piston?

Originally Posted by TCW
A good scruffing with garnet paper (not sand paper) might get rid of the warped rotor feel.

Tom
Your car is 8 years old. It's a little early to have symptoms of a gummed up and stuck caliper piston that has caused the pad to drag against, overheat, and warp the rotor. But, that is possible. It doesn't take a lot of dragging for this to happen, and it can be very subtle to the extent that you would never notice it happening.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pulse--your opinion on what all to replace??

Quick Reply: Brake pulse--your opinion on what all to replace??