C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrific rear end noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 10:04 PM
1978BackToLife
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrific rear end noise

Thanks in advance for taking the time to offer any advice.

Have had some noise from the rear end in the past on this 1978, and it just got a whole lot worse - see video below.

It's an inconsistent problem - The noise almost always happens when I slam on the gas and put the car under a strong load. However, some times it'll happen on light acceleration, or as I'm exiting the freeway and braking to a stop without touching the gas. If I throw it into neutral, it will go away.

Wanted to see if you could identify what this sound could be? Ultimately, I'm hoping someone may have some advice on what to begin to look for and how to check it, to start ruling stuff out (possibly what topics I should search for on these forums). Unfortunately I don't have the money to drop it off at a shop and have them go wild on it. I'm not a master mechanic, but pretty handy at figuring things out.

As a history, I heard some grabbing and what was believed to be rear differential chatter a while back. Then one day the noise got as bad as the video. I've since changed the differential fluid with Lucas 85w140 and 2 GM additive bottles, and it didn't change a thing. Here's the video link if the embedded video isn't working:

Last edited by 1978BackToLife; 04-18-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:15 PM
forman
Drifting

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by 1978BackToLife
Thanks in advance for taking the time to offer any advice.

Have had some noise from the rear end in the past on this 1978, and it just got a whole lot worse - see video below.

It's an inconsistent problem - The noise almost always happens when I slam on the gas and put the car under a strong load. However, some times it'll happen on light acceleration, or as I'm exiting the freeway and braking to a stop without touching the gas. If I throw it into neutral, it will go away.

Wanted to see if you could identify what this sound could be? Ultimately, I'm hoping someone may have some advice on what to begin to look for and how to check it, to start ruling stuff out (possibly what topics I should search for on these forums). Unfortunately I don't have the money to drop it off at a shop and have them go wild on it. I'm not a master mechanic, but pretty handy at figuring things out.

As a history, I heard some grabbing and what was believed to be rear differential chatter a while back. Then one day the noise got as bad as the video. I've since changed the differential fluid with Lucas 85w140 and 2 GM additive bottles, and it didn't change a thing. Here's the video link if the embedded video isn't working:

https://youtu.be/XiCj8Q0A6Sg
sounds like a bearing
Old 04-18-2018, 10:18 PM
forman
Drifting

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

put the car on a jack and see if you can move the wheels left , right ,up and down with out spinning the wheel check for play
Old 04-19-2018, 08:11 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

I would get the car in the air and check from wheel to wheel. Check for play in the rear bearings, grab a wheel stud and see if you can push/pull it - if there is play then it's at least 003" or more. Could be a broken parking brake spring or shoe dragging. You can see if the rear rotors still have the rivets in place or not- that will tell you if anyone has been into them. You might be able to spin the wheel and hear a ticking noise.

Check the u-joints for play and look for rust at the caps.

The 77 -79 diffs had cheap ring gear bolts, to save a penny they went to flanged head bolts without a lock washer or loctite on them, they often backed out and will either shear off or lock up the diff. If you can't find anything outside the diff you might be better off dropping the diff and pulling the cover for a look. If all is good you can install new ARP RG bolts with loctite and that will take care of that. The 71-79 posi clutches were not good but they should not come out of the case if broken.

Last edited by GTR1999; 04-19-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:59 AM
Chicago Bob
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

stub axle bolts hitting differential?
Old 04-19-2018, 10:01 AM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Get under there and look for something that's moveable that shouldn't be. I would start with the front of the differential. There is a rubber mount there that might have deteriorated and is permitting the differential to move excessively with acceleration/deceleration.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:34 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Your differential might need to go in a dumpster

GM installed yokes made of soft metal. The ends ware out to the point where the flange starts grinding the outside of the case away

I had to replace my 79 diff before it even had 50K miles
Old 04-19-2018, 11:33 AM
Chicago Bob
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
Your differential might need to go in a dumpster

GM installed yokes made of soft metal. The ends ware out to the point where the flange starts grinding the outside of the case away

I had to replace my 79 diff before it even had 50K miles
George, why not just install new yokes/stub axles?

Mine are hitting the diff. and I've purchased new stubs....nothing has been removed/inspected yet. Hope I didn't jump the gun and now have a spare set of axles.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:35 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Bob

Mine are hitting the diff. and I've purchased new stubs....nothing has been removed/inspected yet. Hope I didn't jump the gun and now have a spare set of axles.
If your axles are hitting the case the tips have worn down close to .200", that will mean grit in the gear oil. If they have not faced off the 1/8" lip at the seal then you're still good, if they cut into the seal then the bore may be too shallow and the cost to machine, sleeve, and install would be more then just replacing the housing.

If you bought new axles they are most likely imports, if rebuilt may still be usa. I would advise you check them if you can find someone with an old spider. Many times they come in and have issues, other times they fit well.

replacing axles will help cut down on axle endplay but you really have to check the posi when you have the cover off. Axle end play comes from 3 areas within the diff.
The following users liked this post:
Chicago Bob (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 12:49 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Bob

if the yokes are grinding the diff case exterior away you have a terrific amount of metal in the gear oil Mine were worn past the c-clips. The bearings and posi unit were toast. My gears looked polished. So any way I ordered a new rear end from mid America and they didn't want to give me the $450 core charge because of the worn outer case

it was shipped without the yokes and I bought the super yokes for something like $300 each.
The following users liked this post:
Chicago Bob (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 01:10 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

The noise to me sounds light and tinny like brake shoes dragging or something hitting the brake shroud or bad U-Joints. Bearings and axle noises tend to be more of a growl than a squeak.

Have you lifted both wheels off the ground and spun the wheels to see if you can re-create the sound?

Personally, my money is on something external (brakes or U-Joint) vs inside the diff.
Just my .02
Old 04-19-2018, 01:35 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

sound does have a brake shield ting to it.

time to jack car and work your way in.
shake wheel for trail bearing play
shake in and out for side yoke
grab shaft for u joint
pull cover for diffy
Old 04-19-2018, 03:09 PM
wer2xu
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

2nd calwldlife, that is a thin metal type of sound...something rubbing brake shield.

for the love of god please don't drive with the door open and holding your phone out there...and even worse, no portrait mode unless you are taking a portrait.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:16 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Sound like a broken brake spring to me as well. Just dig in and look.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:01 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

Originally Posted by wer2xu
2nd calwldlife, that is a thin metal type of sound...something rubbing brake shield.

for the love of god please don't drive with the door open and holding your phone out there...and even worse, no portrait mode unless you are taking a portrait.
i seconded EZO
Old 04-19-2018, 05:54 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,342 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Maybe something has loosened in the e-brake mechanism.....
Old 04-19-2018, 09:11 PM
1978BackToLife
Advanced

Thanks very much for all the responses. I've got a few great places to start, and will grab a couple pictures / videos once it's lifted up.

Get notified of new replies

To Horrific rear end noise

Old 04-20-2018, 11:58 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by wer2xu

3rd calwldlife. Would start out at the wheel and work inward. If you have play in your stub bearings, its possible something is rubbing when you are loading it up or hitting the brake.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:54 AM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

sounds just like a dry worn out old U-Joint to me
Old 07-30-2018, 07:48 PM
1978BackToLife
Advanced

Hi all, sorry a few months late for the reply, but I've saved up the money to be able to begin the repairs on this. I'm assuming a decently expensive bill to put a number of things in order, but would anyone be able to help diagnose what's going on in the video below, before I have a shop tell me I need to replace absolutely everything? Thanks in advance.

P.S. the car has been parked these last 3 months and I haven’t driven it in this condition. There doesn't appear to be any metal shavings in the rear dif fluid.

Driver's side U Joints

Passenger Side U Joints

Last edited by 1978BackToLife; 07-30-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Horrific rear end noise