Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 11:06 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Default Transmission Fluid (gear oil) replacement cost

Hey guys,

I have the car (1980) in the shop to do some things I don't have the tools for, like repacking the front bearings.

While it is in there, I thought I would have the transmission oil changed as discussed in another thread. The guy wants to charge me $50 for the oil and labor. Is that good? Most of my standard oil changes for my mustang/corvette are around $20-25 so I was surprise to see it be double.

I would do this on my own, but now I don't have to worry about the mess or disposal.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:36 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Hey guys,

I have the car (1980) in the shop to do some things I don't have the tools for, like repacking the front bearings.

While it is in there, I thought I would have the transmission oil changed as discussed in another thread. The guy wants to charge me $50 for the oil and labor. Is that good? Most of my standard oil changes for my mustang/corvette are around $20-25 so I was surprise to see it be double.

I would do this on my own, but now I don't have to worry about the mess or disposal.

Thanks.
Automatic with filter and gasket not out of line. 4 speed maybe a little high, still paying for mechanics time and supplies, but you have to smell like a cat litter box for the rest of the day, that’s worth something too. Gear oil stinks.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:56 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Is it worth $50 to you to have the shop do it?
Old 04-19-2018, 12:05 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,137 Likes on 2,328 Posts

I easily spent twice that on fluid, and the tools to do it correctly (manual). But now I can do it a few more times for free.

I hate the smell, too, but the full synthetic isn't as bad.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:53 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,598 Posts

A tool for repacking the front bearings??????????
Who told you there was a tool to repack the front bearings especially the inner one???
A quick summary is, you remove the wheel, remove the brake caliper, remove the rotor, clean the bearings of any old grease, slap some grease in your hand and work the grease into the bearing. Reassemble everything.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:56 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikespace
I easily spent twice that on fluid, and the tools to do it correctly (manual). But now I can do it a few more times for free.

I hate the smell, too, but the full synthetic isn't as bad.
It takes a crescent wrench and 2 quarts of oil (dino gear oil is $7/qt. and syn gear oil is $13/qt.). How did you spend $50??
Old 04-19-2018, 01:02 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,137 Likes on 2,328 Posts

I bought a lifetime supply of Redline, $60. A pump attachment, $10, and a sucky thing for the diff, and a hedge against a stuck plug (also works for the Power steering reservoir), $20-. Add some paper towels and tax and you are at $100-.

I also have a Lisle 34550 Handy Packer tool to the other comment. Works great to displace the old grease. Push down ustill the new grease flows.

Last edited by Bikespace; 04-19-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:40 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Manual? Does it have a drain?

$50 is not out of line in California. In fact that would be cheap.

My Muncie didn't have a drain so it's a suck and fill. Takes more time.

Packing by hand is easy but the tool makes it super simple. I also like the took to force all the old grease out for a repack.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:59 PM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Hey guys,

Thanks.
Most decent shops have a labor rate between $75.00 and $100.00 an hour. It doesn't take much time or material but $50.00 is probably average.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:03 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

50 sounds reasonable
Old 04-20-2018, 07:23 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by MelWff
A tool for repacking the front bearings??????????
Who told you there was a tool to repack the front bearings especially the inner one???
A quick summary is, you remove the wheel, remove the brake caliper, remove the rotor, clean the bearings of any old grease, slap some grease in your hand and work the grease into the bearing. Reassemble everything.
Actually, a mechanic friend of mine said it takes a lot of time, need the right tool or it takes longer (I thought a press was needed) and if you don't put it together right you could have catastrophic problems when you go for a drive. Obviously that description could be said for a lot of things. I mean remove the time factor and the same could be said of lug nuts. But I hadn't done it before and his description scared me off of it.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:45 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Your friend was referring to the rear bearings. The front are the same as millions of Chevrolets, Pontiacs, etc., no special tool or press needed. It might be advantageous based on this thread and others you have posted to invest in a copy of the factory shop manual and read through it. It is the best source in the world next to this forum on learning about your car.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Fluid (gear oil) replacement cost

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid (gear oil) replacement cost