C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator shroud on a '77

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 12:36 PM
Jim__H
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Radiator shroud on a '77

Is it possible to remove/replace the radiator shroud on a '77 with the radiator in place? I am in a reassembly phase and would like to install it near the end of the project in case I need future access. The main hang up is the left upper control arm. I am thinking of cutting the shroud in half or cutting out a big piece and then putting it back together in situ.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:45 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

It's been a while but I took the shroud out when I replaced the radiator on my '77 without dealing with either control arm. I took the shroud out first, then the radiator, so it can be taken out in one piece without removing the radiator. I believe all I did was remove the fan and fan clutch first. I replaced the water pump at the same time but I believe that was incidental to the shroud removal.

Update: In reading through the subsequent posts it appears that my removing the water pump wasn't incidental and was the key to my ability to remove the shroud without removing the radiator.

Last edited by revitup; 04-19-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:47 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,633 Posts

I am trying to remember if I had the Rad out when I removed the shroud. I believe I did.
Of course the Waterpump has to go.
I know several have cut on the shroud to get it out. I could see some small cuts on my '77 shroud from somebody. Minor stuff.
In my opinion, if you cut it in half and then brace it back together you are not only asking for future trouble issues but also the bubba factor comes in to play. I vote no on the saw.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:57 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

I'm not sure how similar the '77 and the '79 are, but I know on my '79 I cannot get the shroud out with the rad in place. I remove the rad prior to removing the shroud, and then the reverse on reassembly. It might be possible with the water pump removed, but I haven't tried that.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:13 PM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

On my 77 had to remove radiator first then shroud. I didn’t have water pump off, just fan and clutch, so maybe it would help.I would vote against cutting the shroud, someone had notched out mine and I didn’t like it so bought another one. Check out the cost for one and you’ll notice most places are quite proud of them.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:16 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Exactly. This (shroud) isn't some easily replaceable part from your local NAPA or Ace Hrdwr store. This is a antique part that is hard to find and expensive. Just don't seem right to hack on it.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:35 PM
Jim__H
Pro

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Exactly. This (shroud) isn't some easily replaceable part from your local NAPA or Ace Hrdwr store. This is a antique part that is hard to find and expensive. Just don't seem right to hack on it.
One thing I didn't mention is that I am installing a Vintage Air system and the condenser brackets that they supply interface with the radiator mounting brackets so pulling the radiator to get the shroud out of the way involves messing with them and I am about to plumb in the condenser and drier.

But thanks for the advice and your concerns are duly noted (bubba factor...ouch). One option is to put it in place and install the radiator, if I leave the shroud loose while I am putting things back together it can be shifted around. Maybe that will give me enough space or room to do whatever it is that I need to do in the area.

Jim
Old 04-19-2018, 03:40 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

On another note. If you have a buddy handy, have em help you remove the hood. Things get easier with that off to the side. Just remember to scribe a line around the hinges for reference / alignment.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:57 PM
Jim__H
Pro

On another note. If you have a buddy handy, have em help you remove the hood. Things get easier with that off to the side. Just remember to scribe a line around the hinges for reference / alignment.
Hood's been off for a long time. I replaced the right front fender due to multiple poor repairs courtesy of the previous owner. Took this photo a couple of months ago, I am hoping to get it back on the road by the end of summer. Needs a whole new interior too.
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2018, 04:08 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Looks good. You poor Cali-forn-I-A guys have to run those smog air pumps. Bluck.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:17 PM
Jim__H
Pro

Looks good. You poor Cali-forn-I-A guys have to run those smog air pumps. Bluck.
Yeah, and it also limits our choice of headers but on the plus side notice the sunshine in the background in February. Temp was mid 60s F iirc

Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-19-2018, 05:12 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Small price to pay for diving 365 days a year in shorts.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:17 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Only if it came that way from the factory.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:37 AM
Jim__H
Pro

Originally Posted by revitup
It's been a while but I took the shroud out when I replaced the radiator on my '77 without dealing with either control arm. I took the shroud out first, then the radiator, so it can be taken out in one piece without removing the radiator. I believe all I did was remove the fan and fan clutch first. I replaced the water pump at the same time but I believe that was incidental to the shroud removal.

Update: In reading through the subsequent posts it appears that my removing the water pump wasn't incidental and was the key to my ability to remove the shroud without removing the radiator.
I think that is the key, the water pump. If it wasn't there the shroud would go in or out without too much trouble.

Bad design, they should have made it so that it could r/r without pulling either the radiator or water pump but then again all the part and assembly drawings were done by hand. They didn't have SolidWorks like we do now...
Old 04-20-2018, 10:30 PM
Jim__H
Pro

Today I put the unmolested shroud in its place, installed the Vintage air condenser onto the radiator support and then the radiator. The shroud is loose and it looks like there is enough room to install the transmission cooling lines (Bowtie overdrive 700R4), the VA drier and the condenser connections. Wiring and vacuum lines should be no problem so it looks like this will all work, a bit awkward but it will work.

The other thing that happened today is as I was driving over to the Ace Hardware store to get some fasteners my buddy down the street was working on his C5. I stopped to chat and he said he has a track day scheduled Tuesday at Laguna Seca and asked me if I wanted to tag along. Didn't have to think too much about that...

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator shroud on a '77

Quick Reply: Radiator shroud on a '77