Sponsored by:

Rookie Skirt Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 04:06 PM
FLsteve
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rookie Skirt Question

The other day I purchased a stock GM splitter and installed it myself on our 2016 Stingray. It is not painted, just a simple black plastic.

Now I'm interested in finding the skirts. Silly me, I thought there might be a basic non painted Z06 style available but I'm not finding that would match the stock GM splitter. Are they not made? I see painted and carbon fiber everywhere.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:09 PM
Blu-Beast
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

look on ebay, I see lots in plain black. In matter of fact, I 'd just ordered one.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:19 PM
FLsteve
Intermediate

I did see there is one person selling a very inexpensive set, was wondering what it would look like. Do you have the basic GM unpainted splitter? If you do would love to hear if they will match.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:48 PM
Blu-Beast
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

I have the GM poverty splitter. I got the Zero1 style skirts in ABS plastics. I don't like the tapered look of the zero7 .Also not a fan of the fiberglass or carbon fiber. The color look almost the same as the splitter. I bought some carbon flash paint but haven't decide if I should install it as is or paint both.
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2018, 05:44 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

You are in luck

Jeremy from JW motorsports has them and he is a supporting member and awesome to work with...

http://www.jwmotorsportsllc.com/C7-Z...ial_p_352.html
Old 04-20-2018, 08:35 AM
04vette81
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 61 Posts

I bought these fiberglass skirts off ebay for $125 shipped. Paid $200 to have them painted black at a body shop, they also installed them.

I think they make a base stingray look much better just my opinion

Last edited by 04vette81; 04-20-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Here ya are Steve. Bought these off of Ebay at around 125 bucks. They match the rest of the black plastic on the car, and are easy to install. The thing I like about them is if I screw up, and break one they're cheap enough to replace.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 04-20-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:22 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default ditto

Originally Posted by Blu-Beast
I have the GM poverty splitter. I got the Zero1 style skirts in ABS plastics. I don't like the tapered look of the zero7 .Also not a fan of the fiberglass or carbon fiber. The color look almost the same as the splitter. I bought some carbon flash paint but haven't decide if I should install it as is or paint both.
stage one items, stage one worries about scratches, etc. and stage one costs...like 'em a lot
Old 04-21-2018, 03:55 PM
FLsteve
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for the terrific input. After pondering, I decided to go with the ebay ABS ones. No paint, no hardware, no directions. Hoping installation is as simple as the splitter was. i.e. remove existing screws, attach, reinsert screws, perhaps drill a couple new holes use rivets.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:45 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Cooling lines for AT Are in the driver side rocker panel.Don't go deep drilling.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:48 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FLsteve
Thanks everyone for the terrific input. After pondering, I decided to go with the ebay ABS ones. No paint, no hardware, no directions. Hoping installation is as simple as the splitter was. i.e. remove existing screws, attach, reinsert screws, perhaps drill a couple new holes use rivets.
If they are designed like the ones I have you'll need some good 3M double stick tape. Mine had a hole at each end for the factory screws, but the middle sags a bit. Hence the need for the tape. And, they are easy to install. No need for a lift, or jack. Just lay right down, and reach under there.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 04-21-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:21 PM
FLsteve
Intermediate

Default Help Needed

So I received the ABS skirts. Very simple.

The holes for the existing screws were already drilled out and there were also 4 or 5 holes in the front edge for new screws. Looking at videos on YouTube, it appears most folks just use small self tapping screws. I did too. BUT!!! On each side of the car, and in the exact same spot ( I believe the 3'rd hole) the self taping screw was not just going through body skin, instead it hit hard metal. The second I hit that metal I stopped and did not install the screw into the #3 spot on either side. Not until someone on here can confirm it is safe to put a screw through that location. Thoughts?

Last edited by FLsteve; 04-30-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:27 PM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Received 6,828 Likes on 2,639 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The holes for the existing screws were already drilled out and there were also 4 or 5 holes in the front edge for new screws. Looking at videos on YouTube, it appears most folks just use small self tapping screws. I did too. BUT!!! One each side of the car, and in the exact same spot ( I believe the 3'rd hole) the self taping screw was not just going through body skin, instead it hit hard metal. The second I hit that metal I stopped and did not install the screw into the #3 spot on either side. Not until someone on here can confirm it is safe to put a screw through that location. Thoughts?
How is the finish on these ABS skirts...Wondering if they really do need sanding and painting as description recommends?
Old 04-30-2018, 12:36 PM
Southeast Beast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Fitment

Originally Posted by cowboy casey
You are in luck

Jeremy from JW motorsports has them and he is a supporting member and awesome to work with...

http://www.jwmotorsportsllc.com/C7-Z...ial_p_352.html
If they're anything like the carbon fiber skirts I got from them,be prepared to measure & locate the mounting holes for the factory bolts you must remove & really should reinstall as the predrilled holes do not line up.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:43 PM
FLsteve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tom760
How is the finish on these ABS skirts...Wondering if they really do need sanding and painting as description recommends?
Sorry I don't have any photos... but I will answer it this way. If you have or have seen the basic non-painted poverty splitter from GM... it has texture. Now imagine if the splitter with the bumps was just smooth... That's what the skirts are like that I received. No texture, just smooth plastic. I am going to keep as is for now, but going to order a carbon flash spray paint and will ponder if I should paint all three to match.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:46 PM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Here ya are Steve. Bought these off of Ebay at around 125 bucks. They match the rest of the black plastic on the car, and are easy to install. The thing I like about them is if I screw up, and break one they're cheap enough to replace.

Looks great...do you have a link to where you purchased these?
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 12:50 PM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Sorry I don't have any photos... but I will answer it this way. If you have or have seen the basic non-painted poverty splitter from GM... it has texture. Now imagine if the splitter with the bumps was just smooth... That's what the skirts are like that I received. No texture, just smooth plastic. I am going to keep as is for now, but going to order a carbon flash spray paint and will ponder if I should paint all three to match.
Thanks!

Can you post the link to where you purchased these on Ebay?

Get notified of new replies

To Rookie Skirt Question

Old 04-30-2018, 02:42 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tom760
Looks great...do you have a link to where you purchased these?
Tom, I got them on Ebay for approx.$150. I just looked, and for some strange reason the style I have are listed at 1,150 bucks. I sent the seller (not the one I bought from)a question about the price, because they are ABS not gold.

Here's the link of the seller I bought from, and the dang things are listed at 5K bucks. I'll send them a question about the price also. Something ain't right.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-14-Up-C...-/112429530709
Old 04-30-2018, 02:46 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

The holes for the existing screws were already drilled out and there were also 4 or 5 holes in the front edge for new screws. Looking at videos on YouTube, it appears most folks just use small self tapping screws. I did too. BUT!!! On each side of the car, and in the exact same spot ( I believe the 3'rd hole) the self taping screw was not just going through body skin, instead it hit hard metal. The second I hit that metal I stopped and did not install the screw into the #3 spot on either side. Not until someone on here can confirm it is safe to put a screw through that location. Thoughts?
Steve, I was going to use rivet's, but had the same thing happen. I wouldn't drill through the side beam, because I didn't want to invite rust. So, I went with the 3M tape.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 04-30-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:53 PM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Tom, I got them on Ebay for approx.$150. I just looked, and for some strange reason the style I have are listed at 1,150 bucks. I sent the seller (not the one I bought from)a question about the price, because they are ABS not gold.

Here's the link of the seller I bought from, and the dang things are listed at 5K bucks. I'll send them a question about the price also. Something ain't right.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-14-Up-C...-/112429530709

Ha! yeah that's crazy...Someone screwed up the price!...I'll send the seller a message too...
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (04-30-2018)

Quick Reply: Rookie Skirt Question