Sponsored by:

Hill Assist Working

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 01:00 AM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Hill Assist Working

Never paid to much to the hill assist until recently. Noticed at a stop light on a slight incline that the car rolls back, either in 1st or sitting in neutral. I assume it should be working. Do you have to tap on the brake to activate it or is it possible it is disabled and I need to enable it?

Manual says it should activate automatically to keep the car from rolling back or front but I get a front and back roll at a stop light depending on the incline or decline with the M7.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:58 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,999 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Might depend on the pitch angle of grade. I might add that the cycle of HA, kicking in and out may have to do with clutch release and or brake activation. It's a bit of a mystery to me (a M7 owner) as to the when and what makes HA tick, too.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:51 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

I find that I have to firmly apply my brakes once at a stop then HA works.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:31 AM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

You need to be in gear when you apply the brake. If you release the brake as you shift into first HSA will not engage:

Hill Start Assist (HSA)
If equipped, HSA may automatically
activate when the vehicle is stopped
on a grade. This feature is designed
to prevent the vehicle from rolling,
either forward or rearward, during
vehicle drive off. During the
transition from releasing the brake
pedal to accelerating to drive off on
a grade, HSA holds the braking
pressure to prevent rolling. HSA will
not activate if the vehicle is in a
drive gear and facing downhill or if
the vehicle is facing uphill and in
R (Reverse).
The following 2 users liked this post by RonC7:
jimmbbo (04-21-2018), Skid Row Joe (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 08:58 AM
flying_vette
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 140 Posts

HSA has so far never kicked in for me either, 2017 Z06 M7 here...not sure what the reason is. I previously had camaro gen6 2SS A8 and HSA would kick in very frequently even on slightest of incline. I'll show it to me dealer when I go in for 500mi oil change.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:34 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default never really appreciated it until........

I ended up driving it in downtown Seattle and it really worked, and kept me from white knuckling on some stop lights heading up a steep grade....
Old 04-20-2018, 07:39 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Works for me too, but you have to BRAKE to a full stop, in gear. You can't just roll up to the stop, not have your foot on the brake, and wait for the anti-rollback action.

1) Roll up to the stop, in gear, clutch pressed, press firmly on brake until *full* stop.
2) Release brake pedal -- note that you do NOT roll backwards.

I have an incline on my driveway, so I 'test' this feature all the time.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:00 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

I can't stand hill assist. I wish I could turn it off. I live in a fairly flat part of the country and its difficult to determine when it comes on. A good thing for San Francisco maybe.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:07 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,596 Posts

It seems that some cars are more sensitive than others... different engaging and releasing points. Just tapping the brakes activates mine on an incline, and releases under light throttle.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:22 PM
flying_vette
Pro

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Works for me too, but you have to BRAKE to a full stop, in gear. You can't just roll up to the stop, not have your foot on the brake, and wait for the anti-rollback action.

1) Roll up to the stop, in gear, clutch pressed, press firmly on brake until *full* stop.

I’ll try that tomorrow and will report back... I’m always in neutral when slowing to a stop.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:59 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
I can't stand hill assist. I wish I could turn it off. I live in a fairly flat part of the country and its difficult to determine when it comes on. A good thing for San Francisco maybe.
Same. Don't like it at all.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:19 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Thanks I will give it a shot. A lot of times I roll to a stop in neutral out of habit.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:28 PM
Mrc100
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

I have to practice with it a bit more. As soon as I begin to let the clutch out ever so slightly the car roles back and kills the engine. I have to rev the motor and then quickly let the clutch out which then causes the car to lurch forward. It would be better if the break would begin to release when the clutch is released enough to engage. But instead it releases as soon as the clutch petal leaves the floor and unless I pop the clutch the car is already in motion rolling backwards.

Maybe it needs to be adjusted?

Last edited by Mrc100; 04-20-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:38 AM
flying_vette
Pro

Originally Posted by Mrc100
I have to practice with it a bit more. As soon as I begin to let the clutch out ever so slightly the car roles back and kills the engine. I have to rev the motor and then quickly let the clutch out which then causes the car to lurch forward. It would be better if the break would begin to release when the clutch is released enough to engage. But instead it releases as soon as the clutch petal leaves the floor and unless I pop the clutch the car is already in motion rolling backwards.

Maybe it needs to be adjusted?
I’ll share how I do it when starting on uphill, keep brakes fully pressed and slowly let clutch out to the grab point. Then you can take foot off the brake, it doesn’t roll backwards at that point and you can give the gas and start moving.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:19 AM
flying_vette
Pro

Followed your steps and nope, no HSA triggered... not that I need it but not sure why I'm not seeing it.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:55 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

It activates when I am stopped on an incline and using the brake to keep the car from rolling backwards. The only issue I have had with it is some times it seems to hold to well and when I let the clutch out the unanticipated extra load will cause me to stall the car. It usually doesn't do that and when it does it seems to be when I am pressing the brake pedal harder than normal. I now know it can seem to stick on so am prepared to add throttle as soon as I feel the situation. It feels weird when it happens as the car seems like it is locked into place and then suddenly starts moving. Sort of like when you wash the car and the pads rust to the rotors.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Woodson (04-23-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Hill Assist Working

Quick Reply: Hill Assist Working