C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to vettes, couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 08:50 AM
Wyattjrh
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to vettes, couple questions.

Im looking into getting an ls3 manual vette. My question is at what point is there “too many” miles? What would be your deal breaker as far as mileage goes? Also for you guys who have added power to the stock ls3, how is the day to day experience of driving the car with heads/cam/intake etc.? Anything I need to look out for when purchasing a vette from private party? Thanks in advance
Old 04-20-2018, 09:04 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

How much are you going to spend ????
Old 04-20-2018, 09:07 AM
Wyattjrh
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No more than 25k
Old 04-20-2018, 09:18 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,485 Likes on 770 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

First I always advise to get the best car you can for the money. Bargain fixer uppers typically cost more to fix up than buying a better car up front. With that said, there are a lot of bargain C6s these days. I bought my 32k mile, 2006 in great condition for $25k two years ago, so there are plenty out there, even more today than two years ago! The real bargain in Vettes right now are the C5s, but I prefer the C6 over the C5, as all the refinements were made by the C6, and I think overall is a nicer car. You will find that overall Vettes are very well taken care of....mostly, so there are a lot of really nice cars out there. Be patient. You can find the exact color, drive train you are looking for if patient. It is real easy to get enamored with the first one you see and buy it, then later wish you got another color or features. When I buy mine I shop it online for quite some time and am not afraid to travel to see one. Remember airfares are dirt cheap and if you find the one you want 1k miles away it is worth the flight or drive most of the time.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:22 AM
Mockyngbyrd
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Get the latest & best condition one you can find with the lowest miles. Luckily not too many high miles corvettes out there. Leave yourself some extra cash for maint. & repair items.

Good Luck!
Old 04-20-2018, 09:22 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyattjrh
No more than 25k
Then look for an 06-07 you can find many of them under 30k miles
Old 04-20-2018, 09:27 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

There are many nice Corvettes for sale, many advertised here on the Forum. In general find the most well equipped lowest mileage car you can. The most important thing is that you find exactly the car you want, it is not a good deal if you don't love the car. Remember you will be looking at it every day and spending hard earned money. Take your time and research like any other used car.

Rule or thumb: About 5K miles a year on a used Corvette.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:48 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Im looking into getting an ls3 manual vette. My question is at what point is there “too many” miles? What would be your deal breaker as far as mileage goes? Also for you guys who have added power to the stock ls3, how is the day to day experience of driving the car with heads/cam/intake etc.? Anything I need to look out for when purchasing a vette from private party? Thanks in advance
There is no cutoff. These are low stressed pushrod engines. How they're treated and maintained is the key rather than what miles they may have.

Driving a modded car or rather living with it varies based on how rad the mods are AND how well they're done. Some owner slaps in a radical cam & you likely have a mess offered because he's sick of it.

If the car you look at is modded, demand to know who modded it and see the work order. Personally, I'd not buy a car with engine mods.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:10 AM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

One thing to consider is how many miles a year YOU plan to put on the car. If it is going to be a daily driver, then the miles will add up faster so you'll want to look for something with lower miles. If you are only going to drive it on weekends, then you can probably get something with higher miles.
The type of miles is also important too. Was it driven hard on a track?
Was it used on highway cruises?
Old 04-20-2018, 10:21 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

First thing I asked when looking was "has this car been tracked or modified internally?" If the answer was "yes", I moved on.

As for mileage, stop and go is far harder than highway, so the number of miles isn't as important as the type.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:50 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Mileage affects value more than anything, as long as condition is good. As these engines are legendary for longevity, even 100K is not a deal breaker, but it must be priced waaay below one with 30K. Former use and condition are prime considerations. High mileage Vettes are harder to sell, so the seller needs to be willing to sell at a low price. Some dealers are asking the same for 70K mile cars the private people ask for 25K mile cars, of the same year. ]\

do a lot of research...look at a lot of Vettes online.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 04-20-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:06 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

My question is at what point is there “too many” miles?
Also for you guys who have added power to the stock ls3, how is the day to day experience of driving the car with heads/cam/intake etc.?
30k for me.

Supercharge it.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:59 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

You have been given some wise advice from above posters so just a couple comments to add from my perspective. Consider most dealers offer the best discounts on left over last year or current year end models. Something to be said about a new car with warranty. Sometime a discounted new car can be a better deal than buying a like new car from a seller who paid too much. Ok, you asked about used Corvettes and millage. I favor low miles less than 20K but it depends on the owner and how the car was cared for. A car well maintained and appreciated with 40K miles may be a smarter buy than one with 25K that has been driven hard and lacked service. If you buy a high miles car there are likely ware issues and the cars best days could have already passed without $ repair. If the deal seems too good to be true the car could be a money pit. Just be careful. I like to know the owner of a used car but if not possible I would consider a GM Certified car. Certified car has been checked out for no abuse and damage and the Dealer certifies the car is as represented. Some warranty also comes with GM Certified. I also like to see a Car Fax report and a service history.

Last edited by Nice Ride; 04-20-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:36 PM
NCVette1
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I only look at the average mileage per year. If it averages out to 3000 or under it was probably just a weekend/pleasure car. Anything too low and you are looking at a car that sits most of the year and that is asking for trouble.

And there really isn't anything wrong with one driven regularly if the service records are there. These are corvettes not collectibles.

If you are buying a car with a cam already in it make sure you know what exactly has been done and at what mileage. You don't want to buy a car that needs new springs in 500 miles because the last owner didn't install the right ones.

Last edited by NCVette1; 04-20-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:43 PM
NCVette1
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Mileage affects value more than anything, as long as condition is good. As these engines are legendary for longevity, even 100K is not a deal breaker, but it must be priced waaay below one with 30K. Former use and condition are prime considerations. High mileage Vettes are harder to sell, so the seller needs to be willing to sell at a low price. Some dealers are asking the same for 70K mile cars the private people ask for 25K mile cars, of the same year. ]\

do a lot of research...look at a lot of Vettes online.
An LS engine can go well past 200k if maintained minimally and for some reason owners think 50k is high mileage on these cars.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:03 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by NCVette1

An LS engine can go well past 200k if maintained minimally and for some reason owners think 50k is high mileage on these cars.
True .....
Old 04-20-2018, 09:03 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I bought my Victory red '08 LT2 coupe a year ago with 24K miles (and 4 new tires) for $25K-ish, from Carmax who is not known for being on the low end. I would be pleasantly surprised to discover I could sell it now, with 29K, for the same as I paid, but somehow I doubt it.

I think part of it has to do with model and optional equipment. If you're looking for an LT3 or LT4, or a convertible or a GS or Z06 obviously you'll pay more than for an LT2 base coupe like mine.

Also I bought mine in Feb, albeit in FL where that's actually the nicest time to drive one, but in general across most of the rest of the country the sportscar market is softer in winter.

Last edited by ben z; 04-20-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:07 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by buckmeister2

Mileage affects value more than anything, as long as condition is good. As these engines are legendary for longevity, even 100K is not a deal breaker, but it must be priced waaay below one with 30K.

Former use and condition are prime considerations. High mileage Vettes are harder to sell, so the seller needs to be willing to sell at a low price.
do a lot of research ... look at a lot of Vettes online.
Very true ...

Get notified of new replies

To New to vettes, couple questions.

Quick Reply: New to vettes, couple questions.