C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Eco Mode Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 11:44 AM
stoessjc
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Eco Mode Question

What changes occur when one switches to "Eco" mode?
Old 04-20-2018, 11:54 AM
The Rock1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 64 Posts

Select Eco mode for improved
fuel economy. This will result in
better Active Fuel Management
(AFM) operation. See Active
Fuel Management® on
page 9-25

Active Fuel Management®
This system allows the engine to
operate on either all or half of its
cylinders, depending on the driving
conditions. With a manual
transmission, the system is only
active in Eco mode. With an
automatic transmission, the system
is available in all modes, but is more
aggressive in Eco mode. See Driver
Mode Control on page 9-39.
When less power is required, such
as cruising at a constant vehicle
speed, the system will operate in
the half cylinder mode, allowing the
vehicle to achieve better fuel
economy. When greater power
demands are required, such as
accelerating from a stop, passing,
or merging onto a freeway, the
system will maintain full-cylinder
operation.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-21-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:57 AM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

i drive in eco mode all the time, it's still enough to damage my kidneys. i like it.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:16 PM
flyguy0812
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trevor90
i drive in eco mode all the time, it's still enough to damage my kidneys. i like it.
Get a DSC Sport controller. www.dscsport.com. Rides like a luxury car in eco or wet mode now. A lot better in all the modes, in town I use the Wet mode, best ride and steering.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:46 AM
MontanaBob
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Default DSC Controller Affect on Warrantee

Originally Posted by flyguy0812
Get a DSC Sport controller. www.dscsport.com. Rides like a luxury car in eco or wet mode now. A lot better in all the modes, in town I use the Wet mode, best ride and steering.
Does the installation of the DSC V2 Controller void the GM warrantee? There is no mention of it on the DSC website.

Thanks!

Montana Bob
Old 04-21-2018, 12:20 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by MontanaBob
Does the installation of the DSC V2 Controller void the GM warrantee? There is no mention of it on the DSC website.

Thanks!

Montana Bob
Why do you care? If you are going to the dealer for service and are worried just swap the OEM controller back in. It's a 10 minute job after you have done it once and know what to do.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:45 PM
MontanaBob
Instructor

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
Why do you care? If you are going to the dealer for service and are worried just swap the OEM controller back in. It's a 10 minute job after you have done it once and know what to do.
RonSC,

Thanks for the prompt response.

I care, because, if I am not mistaken, any changes or modifications are retained in memory, even if the non-stock component is replaced with a stock unit. Even if that is not true, I'd have to install the controller with wing nuts or Dzus fasteners, as I'd have to swap it out every time the car went into dealer for service.

Thanks again.

Montana Bob
Old 04-21-2018, 12:50 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by flyguy0812
Wait, I thought I asked this months ago, and it was no softer than factory Tour, or so I was told.

Are you saying I can get a better luxury ride in Tour with a DSC? How much better?

RonSC,
I care, because, if I am not mistaken, any changes or modifications are retained in memory, even if the non-stock component is replaced with a stock unit. Even if that is not true, I'd have to install the controller with wing nuts or Dzus fasteners, as I'd have to swap it out every time the car went into dealer for service.
Montana Bob
I would imagine worst case you're voiding your suspension warranty, but having never had a suspension warranty claim in my life that I can think of, not sure how much that is actually giving up!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-21-2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your reply look like this!
Old 04-21-2018, 01:08 PM
MontanaBob
Instructor

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I would imagine worst case you're voiding your suspension warranty, but having never had a suspension warranty claim in my life that I can think of, not sure how much that is actually giving up!
Dave,

My thanks for your response.

I bought my car used in February. Upon inspecting it prior to purchasing it, I discovered the right rear shock weaping and the left rear leaking. The dealer replaced the LR, under warrantee, but said that the GM rep would not authorize replacement of the RR as it was not leaking yet. (The $64 question, of course, is at what point does a "weap" become a "leak".)

The bottom line is that I am extremely careful of performing any changes which void either the GM or extended warrantees. My experience over the years has shown me that manufacturers will look for any excuse not to honor their warrantees. I've got lots of "scars" from previous battles!

Montana Bob
Old 04-21-2018, 01:20 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

RonSC,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Thanks again.

Montana Bob
You are making too much of this. The DSC controller simply takes sensor various inputs and makes on the fly changes to the magnetic shock fluid magnetic field by varying the current input.

As to swapping the unit it is not really held in by anything except the lock type connector. It's just a matter of loosening a few push pins in the left front fender liner and then reaching in and plugging the current module and replacing it with the other one. If the DSC unit causes a problem, just put the OEM unit back in.

BTW if you have a new model the OEM controller may be fine for your purposes. There is an update for older models which apparently softens the shock settings in the tour and wet modes.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:45 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
There is an update for older models which apparently softens the shock settings in the tour and wet modes.
Really? Like for my 2015Z? I thought the "new magride calibration" was all about track stuff.

Is there a thread that talks about that update in particular? I'm not sure how to know which is which.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 04-21-2018, 05:16 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Really? Like for my 2015Z? I thought the "new magride calibration" was all about track stuff.

Is there a thread that talks about that update in particular? I'm not sure how to know which is which.

Thanks!
Dave
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-from-gm.html
Old 04-21-2018, 05:22 PM
MontanaBob
Instructor

Thanks!
Dave
Dave,

Ron is absolutely correct. Here is a link to the most comprehensive of the threads addressing the Magride Upgrade issue:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...y-car-yet.html
Jeff V. did an incredible job of helping everyone on the issue.

Montana Bob

Last edited by MontanaBob; 04-21-2018 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Added word for clarity
Old 04-21-2018, 06:34 PM
flyguy0812
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait, I thought I asked this months ago, and it was no softer than factory Tour, or so I was told.

Are you saying I can get a better luxury ride in Tour with a DSC? How much better?

With the DSC the street ride is completely different. No sharp jolts or bounces. Very comfortable. On the track in any track mode the car really comes alive, lowered my lap times. The shocks are more active than reactive. I bought it for the track, but the street ride is so much better than stock.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Thanks!

Montana Bob
It only voids the warranty on the GM module you took out while it is out. If you put it back in then it is covered by the warranty.

Bill
Old 04-22-2018, 09:40 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by stoessjc
What changes occur when one switches to "Eco" mode?
what is eco mode?our 650HP cars have a eco mode?LOL
Old 04-28-2018, 12:23 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Thanks!
Dave
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (04-28-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Eco Mode Question

Quick Reply: Eco Mode Question