Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WiFi connection problem

Old 04-20-2018, 02:32 PM
Wjereb
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Default WiFi connection problem

Ok I have read all the posts I could find but still can’t find a solution to my problem. While I was still on my 3 month trial I could not consistently connect to my hotspot on my iPhone X but no problem connecting to the cars WiFi. I could occasionally connect to the hotspot but not every time. So I thought maybe after my trial ended the problem might solve itself. Not so. When I view my available networks I still see the Corvettes WiFi signal but not my iPhone. I have the hotspot enabled and have tried unlocking the phone and have tried turning the hotspot off and on and I have run out of things to try. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 04-20-2018, 03:54 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm guessing it's the iPhone. My iPhone did the same thing intermittently connected, then not. Also it dropped often when connected. If someone you know has an Android I'm betting it will connect easily. JMO, don't know for a fact. Darn iPhone's are picky
I do know when flying my iPhone and iPad do the same, but my laptop connects every-time and stays connected.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:27 PM
Wjereb
Instructor

Originally Posted by kenownr
I'm guessing it's the iPhone. My iPhone did the same thing intermittently connected, then not. Also it dropped often when connected. If someone you know has an Android I'm betting it will connect easily. JMO, don't know for a fact. Darn iPhone's are picky
I do know when flying my iPhone and iPad do the same, but my laptop connects every-time and stays connected.
We might not be talking about the same thing but I guess I could have explained it better. I am trying to connect the corvette to my personal hotspot on my iPhone now that my free trial has ended.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:42 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

What is the end result of what you’re trying to do?
Old 04-20-2018, 11:38 PM
Wjereb
Instructor

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
What is the end result of what you’re trying to do?
I am trying to connect the corvette to my personal hotspot on my iPhone.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:51 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

That makes no sense and would accomplish nothing.

The hotspot in the car is just another way of providing a wi-fi internet connection to other devices and to keep you from burning through your phone data allocation if it's a limited one. The hotspot on your iPhone serves the same purpose in connecting other devices besides your phone using the phone as the hotspot. Connecting the car to your phone to power Apple CarPlay requires a USB plug-in and is not accomplished with wi-fi.

EDIT: After reading your OP over again, you don't connect a phone to that same phone's hotspot and if you could, you would be accomplishing nothing. They're both the same cell signal and providing the same connection speed. The car's hotspot is just a different wi-fi hotspot, which is also just a cell connection. When your phone is connected to the car's hotspot, you're not using the data plan on your phone.

And BTW, you should keep your phone hotspot turned off, unless you're trying to get an internet connection for another device like a laptop or iPad using the phone's hotspot. You can't enable the car's wi-fi hotspot with your phone hotspot. For that you need to purchase a data plan from OnStar.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-21-2018 at 01:33 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:57 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Wjereb
I am trying to connect the corvette to my personal hotspot on my iPhone.
That’s not an end result.

What do you hope to do with that connection? Surf the web? Listen to music? Use Google Nav?
Old 04-21-2018, 07:27 AM
Wjereb
Instructor

Ok there seems to be some miscommunication on what my problem is. For that I refer you to this thread on what I am trying to accomplish:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...up-models.html

As to why there are some apps like the weather channel that are useful once my onstar plan expires.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:01 AM
Groovepusher Sly
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

On the iPhone HotSpot WiFi is a separate and additional cost service that your carrier may or MAY NOT provide, you don't just automatically have it. Make sure your cellular service provider sells this service.
I had a stand alone little hotspot (Verizon) box that was a separate account and bill, that cost $40 a month for 2GB of data, cost would have been similar for iPhone. IMHO, It would have been cheaper and more convenient to just pay for the C7 WiFi, which I may eventually do.

Sly

Last edited by Groovepusher Sly; 04-22-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:05 AM
Groovepusher Sly
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Just looked at iPhone. Under settings>Personal Hotspot, it states; Additional usage charges may apply.

Sly

Last edited by Groovepusher Sly; 04-22-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:01 PM
Wjereb
Instructor

Actually it does make sense because the Vette uses WiFi to update the apps and for example you wanted to use the weather channel app which is better than the weather provided by onstar. So instead of paying $20 a month I would like to use the hotspot on my iPhone. It works intermittently for me but not all the time.

Originally Posted by Foosh
That makes no sense and would accomplish nothing.

The hotspot in the car is just another way of providing a wi-fi internet connection to other devices and to keep you from burning through your phone data allocation if it's a limited one. The hotspot on your iPhone serves the same purpose in connecting other devices besides your phone using the phone as the hotspot. Connecting the car to your phone to power Apple CarPlay requires a USB plug-in and is not accomplished with wi-fi.

EDIT: After reading your OP over again, you don't connect a phone to that same phone's hotspot and if you could, you would be accomplishing nothing. They're both the same cell signal and providing the same connection speed. The car's hotspot is just a different wi-fi hotspot, which is also just a cell connection. When your phone is connected to the car's hotspot, you're not using the data plan on your phone.

And BTW, you should keep your phone hotspot turned off, unless you're trying to get an internet connection for another device like a laptop or iPad using the phone's hotspot. You can't enable the car's wi-fi hotspot with your phone hotspot. For that you need to purchase a data plan from OnStar.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:05 PM
Wjereb
Instructor

I am well versed in what my plan is. I have AT&T and I can use up to 10GB of data per month for tethering on my iPhone. No additional charge. Or if I wanted to, I could add the Vette to my unlimited plan for $20/month. But I’m trying to avoid that.

Originally Posted by Groovepusher Sly
On the iPhone HotSpot WiFi is a separate and additional cost service that your carrier may or MAY NOT provide, you don't just automatically have it. Make sure your cellular service provider sells this service.
I had a stand alone little hotspot (Verizon) box that was a separate account and bill, that cost $40 a month for 2GB of data, cost would have been similar for iPhone. IMHO, It would have been cheaper and more convenient to just pay for the C7 WiFi, which I may eventually do.

Sly

Get notified of new replies

To WiFi connection problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WiFi connection problem