Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Yes or no to runflats
Yes, I need the security of runflats
49.40%
No, I'll have regular tires and live with the risk
50.60%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Would you like runflats with that?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 05:09 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Would you like runflats with that?

Would you prefer to have your new ME come with runflats or regular tires and an emergency kit?

Last edited by Bikerjulio; 04-20-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:57 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Runflats saved my life once when traveling, with my elderly Mom, through a really bad neighborhood. Kept on driving. Replaced the tire the next day. A much safer alternative.

Runflats are, each generation, much less of a noise, weight and traction issue than the generation before. On the C7, instead of the C6 runflats being a 2+ pounds per tire increment, our tires are down to a touch less than 3/4’s of a pound penalty. Also we now have softer sidewalls for much better handling.

Were I a track person, I would have voted the other way, for there still is a run flat penalty.

Maybe Michelin and GM, which have been progressively working, feeding info back and forth as several ME tires “stages“ have been/are in the process until perhaps even after the reveal, will reduce that runflat penalty a whole bunch morel!

Last edited by elegant; 04-20-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:40 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 527 Likes on 355 Posts

Run Flats but not SUMMER ONLY .At least an option for the buyer
Old 04-20-2018, 07:42 PM
copjsd
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio
Would you prefer to have your new ME come with runflats or regular tires and an emergency kit?
Considering that in 2014 and 2015, the Michelin Cup 2 ZP (Zero Pressure or "run-flats") set the Car an Driver Lightning Lap Turn 1 "g-force" record, may be some indication that the "run-flat" penalty has all ready been eliminated or at least greatly reduced. I haven't seen results for 2016 or beyond. Table below, with No.1 indicated as year 2006 and No.10 is 2015 (although the article suggests the last two years on the chart are 2015 and 2016).

Maximum grip in Turn 1 from every Lightning Lap
LL TIRES GRIP
No.1 Michelin Pilot Sport 1.01 g
No.2 Pirelli P Zero 0.98 g
No.3 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 1.16 g
No.4 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP 1.06 g
No.5 Toyo Proxes R888 1.07 g
No.6 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup ZP 1.07 g
No.7 Michelin Pilot Super Sport 1.08 g
No.8 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 and Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R 1.16 g
No.9 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP 1.20 g
No.10 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP 1.19 g

Here's the link: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ripleaderboard
The following users liked this post:
elegant (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 07:44 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

I don't track any of my toys so 'run flats' are the way to go. With that said, I would like to see the buyer have the option to select between summer rubber, all season rubber and track tires. I like that 'boy racer' look of the Z07 package but I don't want to have to make my first stop after picking up my new ride at the dealer being the tire store to get rubber I can drive on every day. (Unless I've made arrangements way in advance, they certainly won't have what I want at the tire store in stock anyway.....)
Old 04-20-2018, 08:47 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Non-runflats. My c6 became a whole new car once the runflats were removed.

But there is no question the car will come with runflats.

Last edited by NY09C6; 04-20-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:36 AM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NY09C6

No personal experience with runflats. My C6 already had them removed when I bought it.

My 2018 Golf R came with regular tires, no spare, and a sealant kit.

What about all those euro supercars with no space for a spare? They're not all on runflats are they?
Old 04-21-2018, 11:28 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

What about all those euro supercars with no space for a spare? They're not all on runflats are they?
The current Corvettes are on run-flats for the same reason.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:51 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Rather have reg summer tires/ if a flat happens, I have a phone if the car gets a flat and will wait for the flat bed to pick me and the car �� up.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:06 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

The runflats on the C6 were not nearly as good as the runflats on the C7. It's apples and oranges.

Originally Posted by NY09C6

Old 04-21-2018, 04:09 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
The runflats on the C6 were not nearly as good as the runflats on the C7. It's apples and oranges.
What comes on the c7?

I tried Pilot Supersport ZP as my first replacement set. Then went to Pilot Supersport non-runflats and now I have Michelin 4s non-flats.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:44 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,460 Likes on 2,274 Posts

I'd be interested in having a wheel/tire size for which there are multiple available tires sold, thus opening up options and cost competition for tires.

Downside of a relatively unique wheel/tire size is very limited options for tires and insufficient price competition.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:55 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

RUN FLATS but why are you torturing me as i have to continue and wait to be able to get a C8 ME!
Old 04-21-2018, 06:16 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
RUN FLATS but why are you torturing me as i have to continue and wait to be able to get a C8 ME!
OK, ZP if you prefer

Just whiling away the time since most of the other threads have long since jumped the shark.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:16 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
No they were't. The Michelin Zero Pressure Tires are far superior to the Goodyear EMTs used on the C6. However, the EMTs weren't all that bad and were far superior to a lot of other performance tires that were on the market then. When I first purchased my C6Z I purchased an extra set of wheels with used EMTs on them for the track. I ran that set of EMTs for 10 track days while I was getting used to the car. They performed wonderfully on track. After a warm up lap they had plenty of grip and took all of the abuse I could give them. After wearing the EMTs out I decided to cheap the following season and mount some Nitto NT05s on the wheels. People were raving about how good they were. As I found out the only thing they did well was wear like iron. They didn't have the grip of the EMTs, they squealed like stuck pigs when pushed hard in a corner and got greasy half way through a session so lost even more grip. It was like driving around on slush. The only thing that I tried that was better than the EMTs were dedicated track tires and the Michelin PS2 ZP tires I had on it the last couple years I owned the car.

The original C5 EMTs weren't very good performance tires and had issues with traction on wet surfaces but things have basically reversed from the time they were introduced 21 years ago. Now we have the Cup2 tires on the Z06 and they do well on the street as well as on the track. They are competitive with dedicated Track Tires. Then we have the PSS tire that isn't quite as grippy, but has deeper tread so they can be driven in deeper water on the road, get better tire life and and seem to perform better than the dedicated track tires that were available just 10 to 15 years ago. Oh, you also get the comfort of having run flat tires in case you suffer some sort of puncture. If some vandal drills a hole in the sidewall of your tire you can drive it for days and weeks before deciding to replace it. If you get a simple puncture in the tread you can drive it up to 50 miles with no air pressure and still get the tire patched. If you have a slow leak you can keep adding air and drive indefinitely until you decide to have the tire checked. You get a lot of performance with something that non run flats can't offer: FREEDOM.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
tooold2race (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 12:08 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you get a simple puncture in the tread you can drive it up to 50 miles with no air pressure and still get the tire patched.
Most places will not repair a RF after it is driven on with no pressure.

More info on this topic:

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretec...jsp?techid=226
Old 04-23-2018, 01:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
No they were't. The Michelin Zero Pressure Tires are far superior to the Goodyear EMTs used on the C6. However, the EMTs weren't all that bad and were far superior to a lot of other performance tires that were on the market then. When I first purchased my C6Z I purchased an extra set of wheels with used EMTs on them for the track. I ran that set of EMTs for 10 track days while I was getting used to the car. They performed wonderfully on track. After a warm up lap they had plenty of grip and took all of the abuse I could give them. After wearing the EMTs out I decided to cheap the following season and mount some Nitto NT05s on the wheels. People were raving about how good they were. As I found out the only thing they did well was wear like iron. They didn't have the grip of the EMTs, they squealed like stuck pigs when pushed hard in a corner and got greasy half way through a session so lost even more grip. It was like driving around on slush. The only thing that I tried that was better than the EMTs were dedicated track tires and the Michelin PS2 ZP tires I had on it the last couple years I owned the car.

The original C5 EMTs weren't very good performance tires and had issues with traction on wet surfaces but things have basically reversed from the time they were introduced 21 years ago. Now we have the Cup2 tires on the Z06 and they do well on the street as well as on the track. They are competitive with dedicated Track Tires. Then we have the PSS tire that isn't quite as grippy, but has deeper tread so they can be driven in deeper water on the road, get better tire life and and seem to perform better than the dedicated track tires that were available just 10 to 15 years ago. Oh, you also get the comfort of having run flat tires in case you suffer some sort of puncture. If some vandal drills a hole in the sidewall of your tire you can drive it for days and weeks before deciding to replace it. If you get a simple puncture in the tread you can drive it up to 50 miles with no air pressure and still get the tire patched. If you have a slow leak you can keep adding air and drive indefinitely until you decide to have the tire checked. You get a lot of performance with something that non run flats can't offer: FREEDOM.

Bill
I replaced the OE Goodyear run flats on my C5 with Michelin A/S run flats. Worlds of improvement.

I replaced the OE Goodyear run flats on my C6 Z06 with Bridgestone RE050A run flats. Worlds of improvement.

I have had the run flats on my Corvettes(C5 and C6 Z06) for the past 20 years as I drove on many long distance road trips, in some very out of the way places, and I wanted the security of being able to drive to a safe/convientant place if I did have a flat tire.

Now that I'm not able to drive long distances for health reasons, I'll probably(but not 100% sure) go with Michelin non run flats on my C6 Z06, to save some up front money.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-23-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Would you like runflats with that?

Old 04-24-2018, 07:32 AM
Wolf74
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I vote for regular tires. I have Michelin ZP on now and will be switching to regular tires and buy an emergency kit. Personally, I feel the regular tires last longer, run smoother, run quieter and have a better selection for less money.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:31 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

Non repairable plug flat, no phone reception, scarcely traveled road, awaiting tow, potential tow damage.
Flats can run an entire day.

But is sucks the tires are near $500 installed a piece.

I still vote run flats.

Last edited by Kenny94945; 04-24-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:38 AM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend, that it won't have tires at all, it will just levitate ! no need for run flats, tire rotation at all !
:rof l:

Quick Reply: Would you like runflats with that?