C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Loose Front End

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 08:18 AM
jweiss12
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Loose Front End

As the weather has gotten a bit nicer, I am trying to get the break-in miles done on the new Z06

Being a 2017 leftover, I know the car had been sitting for a long time at the dealer.

Driving yesterday, still under 350 miles on the clock, I noticed the front end being a bit loose. Plus, felt some vibration coming through when breaking. I have the Z07 package with the CCBs. Obviously, the vibration shouldn’t be there.

Trying to to figure out if it’s the Cup2 tired that have been sitting in a dealer lot or the brakes.

I will hit 500 miles this week and take it in for the oil change. Hopefully dealer will straighten it out
Old 04-21-2018, 08:57 AM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Couple of things (JMO). The looseness might be if you are in Tour mode for steering. It is very "sensitive" to any input & a tad difficult to keep on track especially if roads are rutted from traffic. Car tends to follow these tracks in the surface. Other thing is the CC brakes need to be burnished/bedded to give the best performance & used pretty hard at times to keep them grabbing well. Some folks tend to ease to a stop from 50 yds. short of a light/stop sign which does these high performance brakes no good. Can also cause squealing when slowing using brakes lightly. Just my thought without knowing your particular background as to if you track, drive hard on the street, etc. Anyhow glad you found a great car & give us a pic or two when you can.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:46 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Loose do you mean understeer?

I gather this is a new car, that was sitting on lot for a year.
Play with your tire pressures easiest.

Vibration is another issue.
Sure could be flat spotted tire.
Lost wheel weight.
Rotor issue, I doubt it w/ CCB.

Many variables.

Tell the dealer, do a warranty, remove wheels check rim trueness and wheel balance plus 4 wheel alignment.
Could even be a loose bolt in the suspension or the shipping blocks (I think that is an issue) still in the suspension.

Good luck.

Last edited by Kenny94945; 04-21-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Need to define what you mean by loose. The Cup2 tires are far from loose on the pavement when hot. They stick like glue. They are very close in grip to a set of Hoosiers or Pirelli P Zero Race Slicks. At 350 miles they will be pretty grippy in the rain as well as they will be close to full tread. When I say grippy in the rain I am not talking about dumping the clutch type starts I am talking about approaching a corner and when you turn the wheel the car turns. That is the grip that counts the other stuff is just inexperienced drivers who don't know how to use a gas pedal.

Bill
Old 04-21-2018, 08:43 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by jweiss12
As the weather has gotten a bit nicer, I am trying to get the break-in miles done on the new Z06

Being a 2017 leftover, I know the car had been sitting for a long time at the dealer.

Driving yesterday, still under 350 miles on the clock, I noticed the front end being a bit loose. Plus, felt some vibration coming through when breaking. I have the Z07 package with the CCBs. Obviously, the vibration shouldn’t be there.

Trying to to figure out if it’s the Cup2 tired that have been sitting in a dealer lot or the brakes.

I will hit 500 miles this week and take it in for the oil change. Hopefully dealer will straighten it out
could be the ceramic rotors. I recall the c6zr1’s having a vibration issue with the rotors. As far as looseness can you describe in more detail.

Every c7z06 I test drove(4 of them) and mine all seem kind of loose steering. The c7 feels like a Cadillac sports car. More plush then the c6z and zr1’s. A heavy floaty feeling.

Get notified of new replies

To Loose Front End

Quick Reply: Loose Front End